• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfire after Flop

You "rip doughnuts with the 42's at high rpms/revlimiter for the past 2 wheelin seasons," and a random misfire is your chief complaint?

If it blew up in a massive fireball, amputating both legs and your genitals, killed all passengers, igniting a 30,000 acre forest fire, AND you got caught doing it, THAT might qualify as a complaint. Random misfire? Give me a break.

Why do people treat their Jeep like crap and complain when it barfs?

Which part of his post(s) was a "complaint"? Go ahead, use that nifty quote feature...I'll wait

Nominated

Rob, did you do a leakdown test as well as a compression test? It may be that the engine is building enough compression when spinning fast (a compression test with all the plugs out but the one under test usually cranks pretty fast, too) but when it's running slow, it's got enough blowby or something to not get a good pop out of that cylinder. Maybe a cracked ring or damaged piston from the hydrolock is the cause? My 98 ran great above 3k rpm or so even with a 1/2" hole burned through the HG between cyl 3 and 4 because it was compressing the air/fuel mix faster than it could leak out. Anywhere below 2800 it ran on 4 cylinders, 2800-3k it ran even worse.

I answered you on FB but hadn't realized you already knew which cylinder was at fault.
I'm not 100% om it being the #6cyl, gonne pull injector plugs this weekend haven't had a lot of time to work on it with back to back wheelin weekends

Turns out that the distributor was shot. Allowing the rotor to be our of whack, tossed in a distributor from my spare motor and it runs fine

Good to hear. Congrats for tracking it down.

Back