• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MINIMUM tire size for a D60?

RCman said:
Exactly the answer I was going to give. I'm planning on 39.5s, could the stock 30spline FF shafts have worked? Maybe and I'm sure some have. But why keep them when I'll be spending money on a spool (or others might need a carrier) only to stay 30spline and need the 35spline version later? For the extra money I spend now, I won't be doing it again later... and hopefully won't worry about it when the skinny pedal gets pushed. :D

:cheers:

Starboard M said:
Now I know a 60 with alloy shafts and 35 splines are very nice, but at what point do you really need that? Are the 30 spline stock shafts that easy to break? Or is that just the same thing as the stock shafts on the 44 idea?

That depends a lot on how it's used, and how lucky you are. I have a friend with a linked YJ and he ran a D44 in the rear with 35's and 36's for many years and only broke one 30 spline D44 shaft. I've been with AZRick when he broke two D44 rear shafts in the same weekend with 35's. I've seen 30 spline D60 shafts break with 37's.

I think the point is that there's no sense going to the extra weight and less clearance of a D60 and then using the 30 spline shafts.........just doesn't make sense.

BTW, you can find custom built D60 rear ends for much less than $4500. Check out a Currie Ironjock, or the many smaller shops that would build you a low pinion D60. Something to keep in mind with a D60, the pinion is 1.5" off of the center, making it the highest low pinion axle and the lowest high pinion axle. Also, if you like to hammer on it, high pinion D60 gears can be broken when you get over 37" tires. A low pinion D60 would be hard to break with virtually any tire size.

Goatman said:
Care to elaborate??

dana 60-2 housing from a 1974 international (semifloating)- $200
strange engineering spool -$150
yukon 5:38 ring and pinion with master install kit- $275 (ish)
moser custom 35 spline alloy shafts with my desired bolt pattern and studs-$375
setup my own gears- free
used the drum brake setup from my old dana44- free
new wheel bearings- $50
antiwrap spring perches- $40
shock mounts (custom)- free
brakeline- $5

so a wee bit over a grand.

Didn't some MOPAR B-body musclecars come with optional D60s??

(answer= Yes... and one can get repro housings for them from Moser.)

And those had like 27" tires! Ground clearance wasn't much an issue at LACR though :D and 3.73 or 4.10 ratios not 5.xx like we routinely use for taller tires

Is this question aimed at minimum tire size for ground clearance... like posted above a shave job can get the clearance back to approx what a XJ D44 has (maybe a bit more GC, but not much and that depends who shaves it)

Or is this a minimum tire size to be worth the extra weight and strength? I'd agree that running less than 35" rubber would be overkill, and agree that other than for just plain cheapness, re-using stock 30 spline axles aren't that much beefier than a 44.

KTM racer 419s budget looks a lot like mine did... except I would have needed to switch the odd-size J-truck housing ends for big Ford size bearings. I was able to sell the 4.56+ 35spl open carrier on fleabay for $60 or so IIRC... but would have been going with a Detroit and not a spool, so the end cost would have been that much more.

hot_rod_hooligans said:
Thanks, I think he went back and edited his response.
When recipiant of said Dana60's will one day be built to something like this:
DSCF1539.jpg

I only want to buy/build 1 set of axles, and a d30/8.25 just won't cut it when I move to 35's.
Dear lord that is awesome. Anymore pics to it? Link?

I want to lift it more, go bigger tires, re-gear, ditch the Detroit in the front and go ARB's f/r, ect. No point in throwing gears and lockers in axles I don't want, and the D30/8.25 won't be able to stand up to what I want to put it though, not with 35's. I was going to go with 5.5" lift, 35's, and D44's w/ARB's and leave it, but since I've decided to go bigger, D44's are out of the picture.

Back