• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Miles Left on Tank" Indicator

almondjoy137

NAXJA Forum User
So my buddies and I were driving back from a concert last night and while we were going down the highway, the number for "miles left on tank" hit zero. My friends begged me to pull off and get gas because it was 3 in the morning and they didn't want to get stranded on I-81. I had heard somewhere that once it hits zero you really have like 20 miles actually left on that tank, so i kept going and made it 15, but I was still feeling a bit nervous haha...

So I wanted to settle the bet we have going. Anyone know an actual number on how far past you can go or what the farthest past zero you've been?

idiot light comes on with 4 gallons left in tank

there are so many variables it is different for every vehicle, I've heard of people going 40 miles after hitting 0 and I've heard of people running out with the display reading 40 miles to empty

I don't have a fuel light because I have the idiot light cluster with teh huge gas gauge, but when the needle stops registering I still have 1-2gal

My 88 mj says 3/4 of a tank...always.

My 99 XJ idiot light comes on at the last 8th of a tank, but disappears quicker than any other 8th of a tank.

The indicator I was referring to is part of the overhead console which has the compass and mpg, etc. I noticed the miles till empty tool fluctuates for every tank so thats why I asked haha

I went from Tuscon to San Diego on one tank and ran it out of gas intentionally. I Completely topped off the tank, drove it till it died, and topped it off again. I was able to get 23.25 usable gallons in the tank and drove 429 miles. 95% of that were freeway.

when my light hits, i;ve gone as far as 50 miles at 50mph.

My fuel gage needle in my '87 bounces around like a slinky when I'm driving...it's kind of funny.

I have never gone over about 20 miles with the light on...don't wanna run out of gas. I did it coming down a hill in my first jeep. Luckily for me, there was a brand new gas station near the bottom. There was traffic ahead so I actually coasted up over the curve and drove down the grass and plowed through the new landscaping by the road for the gas station and stopped right at the pump. It was too funny. The clerk came out yelling at me and I told him "sorry dude...I was out of gas and couldn't steer"...he walked away spouting off stuff in a foreign language. I kind of felt bad for running over their stuff but it was the shortest route to the pumps and it just kind of happened...lol.

DementedXJ said:
when mine kicks on i have 4 gallons left, everytime.

mines now a little off since i rallycrossed it, something must have gotten jossled around in the tank.

Back