• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mild lift for DD XJ

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
hi all,

finally got my XJ reasonably together and all. Would like to give it a really subtle boost just for tire clearance (just got a set of 235/75 ATs to replace generic AS's that were on it when I got it) and appearance without going too nuts. I should be getting a pair of MJ shackles this weekend. I am thinking of putting those on, adding some 3/4" spacers in the front, and calling it good. Should that result in a fairly even mild lift? (from what I've read, the MJ shackles should be good for about 1/2" to 3/4" lift yes?)

What are some good shocks for this mild a lift? I will probably want new shocks anyway, the stockers are still on there and while they still have damping the rears are limiting my droop even with stock springs and shackles (haven't tried disconnecting the fronts though.)

I know this isn't the usual kind of lift question, but I really don't have the money to really boost it, get 33s, etc. etc. etc. and really it's pretty close to good right now. It drives great now that I got everything together but the tires look a little stuffed so I figured I would just bump it up a touch and avoid all the issues w/ SYE etc.

with less than an inch of lift, you really dont need to change out from stock length shocks unless you are looking for the most downtravel off road.

Understood, I would like to get the most out of what I have, sure it's not the most capable rig out there, but why not get all that I can out of it? and with 90K miles on them I bet it'd handle better with newer shocks too.

Another thought... I've got factory HD springs (original on front, Dorman on rear) should I get a set of upcountry coils for the front and then use the MJ shackles in the back?

I have no experience with 4x4 shocks, I'm more of a sports car guy, for that I like Koni and Bilstein, are Bilstein 4x4 shocks good and what would I use for such a mild lift? Seems like most listings jump from stock to 2 or 3 inches lifted.

thanks!

ZJ V8 Upcountry shocks up front.

For Bilsteins and Cherokees i hear about the 5150's but I see those on JeepSpeeds and how end rigs which I don't think you would want to spend all the money on those is you don't want to spend money on a lift. I would recommend maybe the rough country 2.0 shocks or Rubicon express shocks. Find them in the lowest lift amount possible. I have the Rough Country 2.0s that came with the 4.5" x series lift i installed and they really improved my driving experience with so much less body roll and decent return after a bump. I also hear a lot about jeep ZJ parts onto XJS such as the tie rods and coils. Do more research on the crossing of these parts and maybe you can find something cheap and exactly what you need

You mean springs, right?

I think he means the shocks. From what I've read, the V8 Upcountry springs will get you about an inch - inch and a half of lift up front. That's more than OP is looking for, but they are supposed to ride pretty nice.

Then again . . . the springier springs are there for the weight of the V8, so they wouldn't necessarily carry the Grand Cherokee higher . . . so I don't think the shocks will necessarily be any longer . . .

In hindsight, it appears that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Please disregard everything I've just written out. My apologies. :wierd:

I had a 1998 Up Country. IMO probably the best set up for a daily driver.

To the OP, you might specify whether your interest in new shocks is a concern over length, over shock absorbing capacity, or both. Doing so might elicit more useful answers from those reponding.

Just sayin'

Mostly length. the stock rear shocks are limiting my droop even 100% stock. They're still damping "OK" but at 90K miles probably due for replacement. I haven't had reason to take the fronts off yet, so I don't know if the same concerns apply there or not, but I wouldn't mind going up an inch or so if it's not too expensive to do so.

In the OP he asked what good shocks for a small lift, in the second paragraph.
I had ZJ V8 Upcountry (replacements from parts store) shocks on my heep with sagged 3" coils.
Coil spacers, or ZJ coils. There's a guy over at CF that makes 2=piece coil spacers. So you dont have to remove your coils to install them.

so is there a source for upcountry front springs and shocks all around? I'm finding nothing...
Did you look? Rockauto and Advance both list shocks for upcountry. Not that they are anything special.
In the OP he asked what good shocks for a small lift, in the second paragraph.
I had ZJ V8 Upcountry (replacements from parts store) shocks on my heep with sagged 3" coils.
No such thing as a "V8" upcountry shock, just an upcountry shock. Besides that if you compare the specs there is little to no difference except that the UC shocks are actually shorter by .5" than the standard shocks.

For his 3/4" lift any stock sized shock will work.

Did you look? Rockauto and Advance both list shocks for upcountry. Not that they are anything special.

No such thing as a "V8" upcountry shock, just an upcountry shock. Besides that if you compare the specs there is little to no difference except that the UC shocks are actually shorter by .5" than the standard shocks.

For his 3/4" lift any stock sized shock will work.

I did look, are you talking XJ upcountry or ZJ upcountry? Was looking for XJ and at least rockauto doesn't have anything, although Advance does.

Is the police package lifted at all? I did see shocks listed for that app and that might be worth looking into (for me anyway, I probably will tow with this.)

You want the Monroe yellow body shocks. They are service grade and rumor is they are the same yellow shocks that OME sells.

There are about $40 each which is a great price compared to Bilsteins.

Back