• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mig welder suggestions

XJFLYER

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Looking to buy my first home welder. Hoping to not drop a ton of cash on it. What would you all recomend for power and features. If there are specific models you love I'd love to hear about it.

I want a unit strong enough to do frame welding and other medium level welding tasks. I'm kinda undecided on Wether to go with a gas system or a gas free system. Is there a significant difference in performance?

Thanks for the input!

Gat is a ton easier to weld with and yields a much cleaner weld. You can always get a MIG first and if you are short on funds, just use flux core wire. When you get tired of the pop and splatter, you can get a bottle and a regulator.

I welded for years (20+) on an old Sears Century 120v MIG but I had years of experience. I did almost everything, but technique and patience was everything. I have been running a nice Lincoln 240v unit for a couple of years and I would NEVER go back.

I found a Lincoln pro mig 140 at the pawn shop for $300 and couldn't pass it up. Want a 220v unit but $$$ and this handles up to 5/16 no problem with multiple passes. It's welding my 3/16 jcr diy bumper with it right now and the only issues I'm having are technique, not machine.

I love my Millermatic 211 Autoset. Works on 120v and 240v. Has plenty of power for most fabrication even when run on 120v.

I got a millermatic 211 6 months ago and love it, done both steel and aluminum projects with it. I used a fluxcore Century 110v before I got the miller.

A good condition Lincoln 135+ with shielding gas. Dont get me wrong, millers are amazing, but a little too much coin for your average xj guy.

I purchased a 211 back in May and I have been extremely pleased. It may seem like a lot of money, but the ability to do 110 and 220 is worth it.

If you weld sheet metal you...need...to have gas I've done fluxcore on sheet then tried gas ...I'll never use flux on thin sheet again I think it's great for thick it even burns hotter than mig and you get more out of your machine wleding thick with it , but forget sheet . I think if you're looking for cheap home use non production welder a Harbor freight mig welder would do fine ...or an Eastwood unit they seem to be a good middle of the road unit ...You can get reconditioned hobarts with warranty at good prices as well...you don't need 220v to weld 3/16th -1/4 that's a myth just like DOM having no seam . a 140 amp unit could do the job ...a 200 amp will easily do the job ...size and brand just depends on what you want to spend ...you need enough power to weld what you think you'll be welding and if you intend on sheet metal you want a unit gas cpable not just a fluxcore welder .

Back