• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mig welder strong enough?

CABXJ said:
I have a Clarke 130 its 110 volt pluged into a 25 amp supply works very well I normally run gasless. I can weld from 22g up 3/16 with out a problem. I have welded on Toys for years with the Clarke, Im a new XJ owner and will start welding on it in a few weeks but do not for see any problems.
X2 on the Clarke.

100_1943.jpg

100_1942.jpg

100_1821-1.jpg

100_1817.jpg

And did floorpans in the XJ, and just a bunch of misc stuff. IMO mine already paid for itself.

Hobart 140 with gas.. Anything thicker just v it..

P1010012-1.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Ive gone through 6-7 10lb spools of solid wire, Its still goin.. Anything over 3/8 i use a 210 hobart stick welder..

jonnywong said:
Dont mean to hijack the thread but im kind of in the same boat and looking to for a good beginer welder. I found a chicago electric MIG welder for $100. You can use gas or electric...heres a link to a brand new one.

Dual mig welder 151

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Input: 230V, 60 Hz, single phase; Welding current range: 30-120 amps; Duty cycle: 15% @ 115 amps; Draws 15 amps @ 230V; Max. open circuit voltage: 36V; Weldable wires: .023", .030", and .035 steel or stainless steel; .030" and .035" aluminum; .030" flux core[/FONT]

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=6271

what do you guys think? is this a good deal for $100 if its in good shape and will i be able to but together some rock sliders with it? Thanks in advance

Save your money now, and look for something used or at a bare minimum a 110v Lincoln with a gas kit (awesome for sheet metal work). I've got a couple buddy's running the HF welders, and I see them sit more than they ever get used. The frustration of getting the machine to do what they want keeps it unused--they weld all the time.

I started with a 90amp Century and it was okay for making a mess. When I bought my Hobart Handler (HH)175 there was a tremendous difference in my work. Even running fluxcore the higher power makes for a better finished product. You can always turn one down, but you can't turn up a cheap welder.

The HH187 is the best value going right now for a new portable welder.

HTeK said:
They are both owned by the same parent company (ITW) but I don't believe that Hobart welders are made by Miller Electric. From my understanding, Hobart remains a separate entity from Miller and therefore they manufacture their own welders. Although, as you pointed out, they obviously share components.

As for the original question - go mig and don't look back. If you plan on doing a decent amount of fabrication, save yourself some money in the long run by getting a 220v machine from the start. And if you want to weld to sheet metal, use shielding gas. It will save a lot of frustration.

-JM

Back