• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mid 80's Toyota head gasket

Hoss in IL

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is totally subjective and opinion only-but do you think it's worth getting an '85 or '86 (don't know which it is exactly) toyota truck 4cyl 5spd for $250. The head gasket needs replaced but the truck is in pretty good shape-no body damage, very little rust. From what I can find on the net, it looks like a $1,ooo-$1,500 bill to have the block and head milled flat and gasket replaced. I can't do the job myself and I'm trying to find a small truck to drive since diesel fuel is almost $4.50 a gallon.
Thanks, Hoss

With that old 22r motor it will be a 6 hour job up to a weekend if first time, you dont need to mill/rebuild the head unless its warped. It doesnt get any easier than doing a head on a I4 RWD vehicle.

Are you positive its a blown head gasket? If the only symptom is coolent in the oil it could be that the screw in plugs that go into the water jacket, under the cam are leaking. Its very common for that to happen. If that is your only problem all you would have to do is remove the valve cover, cam and rockers then remove and reseal the plugs.
If it is the head gasket then you will have to worry about the head being warped too badly and either being junk or need to be straightened.
One thing to keep in mind is that a remanufactured cylinder head from a company like Alabama Cylinder Head might be the way to go, I have no experience with that company; it was the first one that poped up when i did a search. You could look around for one that is clocer or cheaper.
Be sure to check the deck of the block with a straight edge and a feeler gague to make sure it is not warped. Also inspect the timeing chain area for scrapeing marks. On some engines when the chain and tensioner wore out the chain would begin to dig into the head, block or cover and could potentially cut into the water jacket.

~Alex

Back