• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Michigan Wheeling Thread

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
I have decided to make a thread of the events and trips in michigan so that other threads dont get too cluttered up.

first off: Rocks and Valleys 5/15/10

by dumb luck John D and his two boys as well as the LS1 XJ (the one that was on the cover of Petersons 4wheel drive magazine) come rolling in as i was unhooking my sway bars, so i asked if i could tag along, and they kindly obliged. i also saw Coasti, as well as Fore Wheeler out there... it was quite the NAXJA day! there was also an orange CJ with some SERIOUS power at the head of our "group".

ok on to pictures

one the few pics of John D's rig:
P5150082.jpg

P5150090.jpg

the only time the CJ didnt make it (except for one spot that was a serious mudpit)... he also blew the front end of the steering box off, but continued to wheel with no power steering....
P5150092.jpg

P5150094.jpg

P5150095.jpg

then LS1 XJ totally clobbered the tires with ease

P5150100.jpg

P5150101.jpg

there was definitely a lot of trail riding to be had

P5150104.jpg

P5150111.jpg

we then got to a crawling section... the LS1 XJ made it look easy, and the CJ got through it with good application of the throttle... i got stuck at the end where i could have used 2" more tire... at least i got to try out my rocker protection.

P5150115.jpg

P5150119.jpg

P5150121.jpg

P5150127.jpg

and continued...

P5150126.jpg

i needed a hand in getting out of what i had gotten myself into...

P5150131.jpg

and free!
P5150132.jpg

i wasnt allowed on this trail cause of my 33's

P5150136.jpg

a little help on some off camber spots
P5150138.jpg

P5150139.jpg

and heading home

P5150140.jpg

all in all a great time. no breakage except for the CJ steering box... i plan on hitting it again this summer.

BTW those who are looking at Rocks and Valleys: the trails are rated Green, Blue, and Black Diamond. green is stocker trails; the blues are mostly doable by anyone with small lift and swaybar discos (also a locker helps, but not necessary); Black diamonds are more challenging, i would highly recommend at least one locker, swaybar discos, 33" tires min (35's would be very helpful on a few spots to clear the difs), rocker armor,possibly belly skid, front diff protection (which i do not have, and have some nice dents in the cover)and some buddies to help you out if you need it :greensmok

Last edited:
i wasnt allowed on this trail cause of my 33's

If you had gone you would have bent a rim... ask me how I know :laugh:... I am sorry I missed you this weekend but I got to meet Fore Wheeler and John D so it was finally good to meet some fellow NAXJA members.

That park is def a nice place and you should at least have 33's and one locker. I was unlocked and still followed everyone everywhere but with a few more dents.

28937_404729982400_609927400_4700716_5840857_n.jpg

If you had gone you would have bent a rim... ask me how I know :laugh:... I am sorry I missed you this weekend but I got to meet Fore Wheeler and John D so it was finally good to meet some fellow NAXJA members.

That park is def a nice place and you should at least have 33's and one locker. I was unlocked and still followed everyone everywhere but with a few more dents.

its all good man, i just saw you driving by a couple of times. yeah i didnt want to do too much damage because i had to drive my rig back to big rapids.... i did end up rubbing a wheel weight on a front tire putting it a little out of balance, but nothing to bad.

just a thought, maybe we should plan a run with any/all michigan members just as a "local" midwest chapter thing. i think it would be a good time.

Oh forgot to mention this earlier: anyone can post pics and info about their wheeling in this thread.

"1177"

still rocking your blessing number eh? haha. and im glad i didnt go, i dont need to see that LS1 XJ. i already want it bad enough as it is.

yeah i havnt washed it yet. the LS1 XJ was very cool and a very well set up crawling rig with a custom spidertrax front axle, and a currie hi9 rear. John D's rig had a 5.3liter in it... wheeling with these guys made my 4.0 feel very small.

what about sun or mon of mem weekend? that would get me into gear on fixing my steering.

my gf got dusched with mud. she's a good girl.

main.php

Last edited:
what about sun or mon of mem weekend? that would get me into gear on fixing my steering.

my gf got dusched with mud. she's a good girl.

main.php

at least she is a good sport about it!:kissyou:

memorial day might be a go depending on my the expendable jeep fund at the time. i think it would be a great time.

going to be at Rocks and Valleys on monday! people should show up!

Sweet man. Where was that?

Back