• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MetalCloak 6PAK Shocks?

my only question is how do you get the "body" of the shock to stay in place? Are the pistons spring loaded against each other so the body of it remains in the middle?
What about tire clearance on the front axle when you've got it turned all the way to lock?

The 6pak shocks have opposing reservoirs that have a nitrogen charge that keep the body centralized.

As far as total diameter the shock is the same circumference as a RE reservoir shock; they are mounted on adjustable eyes so that they can be rotated incrementally a full 360 degrees for optimal placement.
I know that on my XJ if my steer stops were not adjusted just right with Goodyear kevlar35’s and a 7.5 long arm suspension I could rub the RE re reservoirs at full lock but only when going in reverse. (everyones set up is a little different but that is my experience)

exactly. you can have 4 custom valved 2.5 bilstein 9100s, 2.5 Foxs, or even 2.5 kings for the same or less money.
...true, but I think the extended length and compressed length is really the deal. Both King and Bilstein are great, proven designs however neither give the same amount of travel in a compact body size. I am looking forward to seeing how these will work on XJ's... maybe I can see about getting a set put on my current MJ to see how they work, not exactly the same but I gotta work with what I got. :)

without cutting through the bed of my MJ (or cab of an XJ) I can keep all the up travel and actually gain some by replacing my current shocks and get quite a few inches of down travel also; true you can only articulate as far down as the other side can go up however when you are not crawling and you want to pick up the pace having some extra wheel travel can be pretty nice when going through the whoops.

@ XJLI,
Jeepspeed has limited travel to keep the competition comparable... if you could run a LA with 14in stroke shocks up front and 16in stroke on in the back of a trailing armed equipped xj you would have quite an advantage.

Last edited:
interesting to say the least. i don't see a practical application in an xj though. we pull plenty of travel out of conventional shocks without issue

a little slow on this but for most applications I would agree. My XJ had ridiculous travel although it had 8inches of lift on it so it was a @#! to get up into. Think if you could lower it 4 inches and keep the same travel... probably have to do some creative sheetmetal cutting! :)

At 5.5" I have plenty of travel to use up my 12" short body 7100s up front. Any more and my tires would be making contact with the body. Any more down travel and it remains useless as I have enough shock length to droop it out and remove the coil. More would be even more useless. Out back is the only place I can think of that would make any sense, but then the question is how do they deal with shock fade and heat buildup? Assuming I was travelling at a high enough speed over rough enough terrain to use all the extra travel they could theoretically provide, how long would it take them to overheat and fade?

as far as heat build up and fade issues when I took the JK to Death Valley that was equipped with the shocks there was never an issue, honestly out of the 5 or 6 rigs we had out there when we stopped after a 40mile section of whoops the 6pak shocks were the only shocks that were still cool enough to be comfortable to touch. Remember that the amount of stroke the shock provides is split, half the travel from one side and half from the other and it is carried over 4 seperate shock aluminum bodies with 2 additional reservoirs for cooling. That being said to use the full stroke of the shock "lets say 14 inches" each side of the shock only has to move 7inches cutting the travel of the shaft and the velocity that they have to travel in half... I'm telling you these things are pretty sweet.

@ XJLI,
Jeepspeed has limited travel to keep the competition comparable... if you could run a LA with 14in stroke shocks up front and 16in stroke on in the back of a trailing armed equipped xj you would have quite an advantage.

i'm not sure what you're saying here.... a linked XJ would be faster than one with leafs? well, duh.

i'm not sure what you're saying here.... a linked XJ would be faster than one with leafs? well, duh.

Get a custom set of leafs with a long-travel shock and you can get pretty impressive performance rivaling a linked vehicle. FYI, just linking XJ will not make it faster than a leaf sprung vehicle in all genres any how...

@XJLI:If you can't understand what I am trying to get accross to you I am not sure how to "re-explain it", if this is an attempt to provoke an argument with your patronizing remark, I certainly do not appreciate it; this is a tech forum.

It is not often that I post on here and when I do it is only to pass on info that I have been privilaged to come accross in hopes to help out others. I do not know everything but I am blessed to have a vast resource of knowledge through a large range of individuals from professional racers to major mfg's and suspension engineers ranging from the street to the dirt.

Technically, this is the off topic forum. Anyway I appreciate the effort that went into these shocks, I just don't see them going anywhere except in mall crawler JKs whose owners have cash to burn

GUYS! simmer down and look at this buffalo chicken pizza

3238087056_d02e5d7879.jpg

I just don't see them going anywhere except in mall crawler JKs whose owners have cash to burn

Lol, but it'll take years before their numbers surpass the pure volume of mall crawlers with remote res Bilsteins/Fox/etc...

Technically, this is the off topic forum.

ahhh crud! ha,ha... well that makes it look like I am paying attention(pause)not. Sorry bout that.

Yea I am thinking that these shocks are not going on every Jeep out there for sure, but it gives an alternative to the folks that do cut up through the body for longer travel. It will be interesting to see how they are recieved and used.

so how do you valve these? Are shims available? Do they make bypasses? I'll stick to my triple bypasses. thanks though. These look weak. Yeah they might have been cool on the jk but their slow anyways. put these on an actual prerunner that runs a 300-500 mile race and they will fail.

Back