• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Memorial Day Plans?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
The wife and I are hoping to head somewhere for a couple of days and do some scenic trails. Anybody else of the same mind? What is open? Thought we would maybe head to Ouray and soak our bones in the hot springs. Ophir is most likely open but everything else is most likely still snowed in. Anybody have any good ideas.

Is this just a dry camp or is there a campsite available?

planefixer said:
Dry, rough camping - no "luxuries".:sunshine: We're all tenting it.

eh-hem.... :)

I, however WILL not be "rough camping" due to becoming soft in my old age. a bunch of us are staying at Chalk Creek campground (few pop-up campers) but I'm sure I'll be up at Tin Cup/Griz/The Coyote™ with these bastards most of the time.

I we go I will probably try and get a cabin at Chalk Creek.

Good luck, Tom.... you gotta book Chalk Creek months in advance for Memorial Weekend and they require 3 nights lodging for holiday weekends. They were running short REALLY fast on spots almost 3 months ago (when we booked ours).

The KOA doesn't book as fast but it's also not quite as nice at CC... Definitely decent though! Might just call CC to see what they have available. I wouldn't hold your breath though. :|

We're headed down Friday afternoon and bailing crack of dawn on Monday, to aviod the traffic.

might be taking the family up medano at sand dunes, but might stay home and work on the house/yard too...

I know where I'll be. :cool:

3.5 days of school left.......suckers.

formatt said:
Good luck, Tom.... you gotta book Chalk Creek months in advance for Memorial Weekend and they require 3 nights lodging for holiday weekends. They were running short REALLY fast on spots almost 3 months ago (when we booked ours).

We're headed down Friday afternoon and bailing crack of dawn on Monday, to aviod the traffic.

Just reserved ours!!!! Got a tent site on the creek...see you there Matt!!! Sam wasn't to happy about camping up in TinCup...something about being cold last year. There was alot of snow up there on our way back from Moab...so we'll be doing the commute thing.

Joey

We always get the same spot... I've got the same place as last years COFest. :) We're going to be right by the Barone Family. I *think* there was talk that Tony, Jill and Kaleb are going to come down for a day as well. My other buddy Mike has a spot near us as well...

Is there a particular place you guys camp up at TinCup? I am thinking of staying over at Pitkin and was trying to see how much of a trip it was. How long of a commute is it from BV?

old_man said:
Is there a particular place you guys camp up at TinCup? I am thinking of staying over at Pitkin and was trying to see how much of a trip it was. How long of a commute is it from BV?

I'm going to head up Friday and try to get the best group-sized spot I can find.Basically just drive up the road (east side of the pass from St. Elmo) and look for us.If you stay in Pitkin the only way back over the Mountains is probably Monarch Pass.Tincup and Hancock and maybe even Cottonwood will still be snowed-in.

We will be staying at the KOA in BV. Chalk Creek had no sites of any type. We will be pulling in to BV around 8am Saturday and will unload the XJ and head up to see if we can find you guys.

I just talked to a person in BV and they went over the top to St. Elmo yesterday so things look like they may be opening up.

Now that it apears I already have a buyer for the Firebird, I may be free to do some wheelin. I might even be able to afford gas for the trip. (is there a station in St.Elmo)

I couldn't find anything on Hancock or Cottonwood. What are those like?

As for the campsite, are you talking about the ones there on the Tincup trail?

I did some research. Cottonwood Pass is scheduled to open Friday, weather permitting. It appears that the road up to Tin Cup and to St. Elmo is open. Kebler Pass is open.

I am thinking of heading over to Kebler and up to Crystal Mill on one of the days.

Back