• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Membership and Chapter Enhancement Program

While I agree that chapter representatives need to be more involved in the national BOD business at least historically it is hardly a unique issue. When I was involved with the national BOD we had very little chapter representative precipitation. In fact both of the presidents you served under were guilty of that Remi.

This not meant as an excuse to offer why it's okay to ignore that role, just that it is part of a broader problem, I'd be curious if it is as rampant as it was four or five years ago.

Also - I agree that there should be no need for the national BOD to babysit the chapter BODs. If a chapter fails to take advantage of a program I don't think blame should fall on the national BOD. I know if I was in that position I wouldn't necessarily notice that chapter x did not submit because I'd be too busy managing the entire scope of the project.

As for "Saying that they are working on a plan and will let us peons in on it when they're good and ready," if that was directed at what I've posted in here all I am really at liberty to say is that there is a solution going in to place now. I'll any leave real announcements to the chapter BOD.

Not sure as to the why it wasn't brought up before and why now but what you're saying is that we need someone to watch he watchers? I am still waiting to see answers as to how things operate which I believe as a paying member of the club and SoCal chapter I had the right to ask....yet all I got here at first was a notepointing out when I had last logged in and posted.
bottom line is that we need to stop going after Avery for posting it in January. The people (person?) responsible haven't done their job last year and I would like to get some accounting as to how they operate so that I feel better about this coming year. Saying that they are working on a plan and will let us peons in on it when they're good and ready doesn't make me feel good about it.....
i think you read into Carol's comment a bit too much, i'm sure she meant it more as "holy crap, long time no see!", in a friendly way.

While I agree that chapter representatives need to be more involved in the national BOD business at least historically it is hardly a unique issue. When I was involved with the national BOD we had very little chapter representative precipitation. In fact both of the presidents you served under were guilty of that Remi.
You are right, we had issues with representation but towards the end we worked through that. At one point as VP I was asked by the president at the time to cover some things for him and bottom line is that I don't know of us missing out on anything. Btw this isn't meant to say we did a great job and cureenttly things are done badly.. the point I'm trying to make is that we need to figure out what works now and what doesn't and how can we help..... unfortunately the over defensiveness and accusations are distracting us from that.
As for "Saying that they are working on a plan and will let us peons in on it when they're good and ready," if that was directed at what I've posted in here all I am really at liberty to say is that there is a solution going in to place now. I'll any leave real announcements to the chapter BOD.

Well either asnounce something or don't mention anything :) saying something is in the works without any details makes me question if something is in the works...:)

Just curious..

In 2011 and years prior, how much MCE funds did SoCal request, how much did we receive and what did we spend it on?

And is there any idea as to how many new members it attracted?

Last edited:
i think you read into Carol's comment a bit too much, i'm sure she meant it more as "holy crap, long time no see!", in a friendly way.

Maybe you're right..... and if so, I apologize but the timing/content of it and coming from a person holding office made it sound wrong to me.....

Just curious..

In 2011 and years prior, how much MGE funds did SoCal request, how much did we receive and what did we spend it on?

To that you have to add also "retained". Furthermore :) (love using that word ;) ) take into account the potential opportunity for it... look at what Sierra Chapter did with theirs. I really like the idea... I think it could be taken a step further: use it to promote offroading and help people understand that we're not the evil ones trying to kill the earth but rather good people trying to relax and enjoy life.... it's our version of lets say golf ;) The fight for access to lands is going to end up a political/voting issue at some point.... lets try and get ahead of it and any money that we can potentially use locally can help us so again it's not only attraction of new members but it's also potentially retention of old by retaining our land access.

Just curious..

In 2011 and years prior, how much MCE funds did SoCal request, how much did we receive and what did we spend it on?

I don't believe MGE existed prior to 2011 or 2010.

...I don't know of us missing out on anything.

Both the MGE and the land use funds matching programs did not exist at the time, so no, there were no missed opportunities of this nature.

Well either asnounce something or don't mention anything

I'm just letting folks know that help is on the way. :wierd:

I hate to do this, but Jesus Christ this thread is getting childish.

Thank you for this mike.

:thumbsup:

Avery, you really aren't helping.

I think it's funny that Avery is the first guy that laughs at people who want transparency about the national BOD's finances started this thread. I may very well be completely misinterpreting his intentions and meaning but it just comes off as childish and snarky. I also agree that if he really wanted to help he would have brought it up sooner and via backchannel.

Again i may be way off base here but this is what I see as an outsider looking in, and another example of why i haven't renewed as a forum supporter or will go red.

This chapter has IMO not supported its BOD. where were you people at the Christmas party? To busy complaining about it's location to bother to show up? To busy complaining than supporting and offering help and advice? To busy reminiscing about how good NAXJA used to be? Well you people are the problem.

Post up and do runs at least monthly.Go out of your comfort zone and drive a ways like other people do. Throw more wrench party's. Throw more meet and greet's. Do a charitable event. Stop being so damn "clicky" Show up at the quarterly AAT. DO SOMETHING.

Some of you will scream from the mountaintops that this is a club first and not a forum. Why don't you start to act like it.

I think it's funny that Avery is the first guy that laughs at people who want transparency about the national BOD's finances started this thread.

LOL! Really? :roflmao:

It is extremely evident you have no idea as to what you are talking about. :twak:

I provide a monthly National Treasurer's report that is posted in the national BOD meeting minutes (almost) every month. Every member has access to this information and can ask any question about the clubs finances at any time (publically) in the members forum.

I was working on Naxja’s 2012 taxes and gathering expenses/income and noticed that two chapters left money on the table….one being SoCal. As a chapter member, I asked why the chapter BOD chose to pass on this free money.

edit: Kayle, you were a forum supporter for a long time so that is why you may not know this.

Last edited:
why don't you get back in the kitchen :twak:
you're just mad cuz you're hungry!

LOL! Really? :roflmao:

It is extremely evident you have no idea as to what you are talking about. :twak:

I provide a monthly National Treasurer's report that is posted in the national BOD meeting minutes (almost) every month. Every member has access to this information and can ask any question about the clubs finances at any time (publically) in the members forum.

I was working on Naxja’s 2012 taxes and gathering expenses/income and noticed that two chapters left money on the table….one being SoCal. As a chapter member, I asked why the chapter BOD chose to pass on this free money.

edit: Kayle, you were a forum supporter for a long time so that is why you may not know this.

Avery there was a thread where you were talking about how people wanted to see the finances of naxja and you did your :roflmao:. IIRC it was a thread that had discussed the financial problems that had happened in CORBA and CAL4 .
If you noticed that two chapters "left money" on the table why not talk about it back channel? as NAT BOD wouldn't it be responsible of you to make sure that every chapter was aware of what tools they had to make sure that every chapter can succeed? Maybe NAT should have made an effort to let chapter BOD know of a possible grant available to them?

Avery there was a thread where you were talking about how people wanted to see the finances of naxja and you did your :roflmao:. IIRC it was a thread that had discussed the financial problems that had happened in CORBA and CAL4 .
If you noticed that two chapters "left money" on the table why not talk about it back channel? as NAT BOD wouldn't it be responsible of you to make sure that every chapter was aware of what tools they had to make sure that every chapter can succeed? Maybe NAT should have made an effort to let chapter BOD know of a possible grant available to them?

Kayle, I do not recall that. National probably wouldn't be involved with Cal4 (Sierra/SoCal would) though nor do I recall writing a check to them. Corba was an issue before I was Treasurer though...dunno. Regardless, members can ask the question publically as can Chapter members to a chapter. For the national questions, we have a Members forum to ask questions, bring up issues/ideas and it is used ALL THE TIME for that. For the chapters, the chapter forums are used for that and every member of a chapter is entitled to speak their peace or share information/concerns about chapter business.

I only noticed the funds were not used after the fact while working on taxes. As Remi said previously, 'we need someone to watch he watchers?' sums up my thoughts. The information is a sticky in the BOD forum as well as it is discussed ALL the time. Chapters bring up threads to discuss their ideas on how to use their MGE funds. Anyone who sticks their heads in the BOD forums will see the posts and threads about it. There is no excuse for it being missed unless they are not doing their job.

edit: did a search of the members forum and the bod forum and nothing comes up with what you have mentioned.

Last edited:
Not sure as to the why it wasn't brought up before and why now but what you're saying is that we need someone to watch he watchers? I am still waiting to see answers as to how things operate which I believe as a paying member of the club and SoCal chapter I had the right to ask....yet all I got here at first was a notepointing out when I had last logged in and posted.
bottom line is that we need to stop going after Avery for posting it in January. The people (person?) responsible haven't done their job last year and I would like to get some accounting as to how they operate so that I feel better about this coming year. Saying that they are working on a plan and will let us peons in on it when they're good and ready doesn't make me feel good about it.....
I'm not shifting blame, the way things were put out, it just seemed that rather than giving a reminder, he was letting the chapter miss out in order to prove a point or something.

Also, I see no problem "watching the watchers"; that's kinda what you're supposed to do as a citizen/member with an elected body governing things. Keep an eye on them, make sure things are done right.
I only noticed the funds were not used after the fact while working on taxes. As Remi said previously, 'we need someone to watch he watchers?' sums up my thoughts. The information is a sticky in the BOD forum as well as it is discussed ALL the time. Chapters bring up threads to discuss their ideas on how to use their MGE funds. Anyone who sticks their heads in the BOD forums will see the posts and threads about it. There is no excuse for it being missed unless they are not doing their job.
However, if you only noticed after the fact, than that's different.

Carry on.

Avery, I am glad that you have brougth this up. I am also not here hang anyone. What did the last president do for the chapter and is it his responsibility to help "train" the new president. Also, most users on here dont know a lot about the BOD, how it works or what is involved. Maybe we need to have more threads regarding how the chapter can help the BOD and vice versa.

Stop the bashing and start helping. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of how any of this works.

I do like the idea of the chapter paying for spots at SCF. I believe that they should go to the red letters and be an incentive to go red.

Avery, I am glad that you have brougth this up. I am also not here hang anyone. What did the last president do for the chapter and is it his responsibility to help "train" the new president. Also, most users on here dont know a lot about the BOD, how it works or what is involved. Maybe we need to have more threads regarding how the chapter can help the BOD and vice versa.

Stop the bashing and start helping. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of how any of this works.

Agreed.

This is why I said this earlier:

I don't wish anyone to resign or feel that they are being picked on, I want change, I want leadership, I want chapter representation on the national level, I want more chapter organization. I don't think this is an unreasonable request for a member to ask.

I forgot to reply to Rockclimber of which applies to your question.

is there anything we as members can do to get this discussion going? should there be a thread in socal about what to do with this money in particular?

as far as the chapter representation goes:
possibly a thread in the socal section with updates from the local BOD about what is going on at the national level. that way socal members can look at that and ask questions of the local BOD. and poke them if we don't get regular updates?

just ideas.

Yes. All of the above. Start threads. State what you would like to see. Volunteer to help out. Communicate when you see things you like and do not like. The 'keep it private back channel' crap that has been mentioned on here is :bs: as we are a community and everyone is involved. It is the members chapter and we need to work together. Remember the BOD works for us. :clap:

I do like the idea of the chapter paying for spots at SCF. I believe that they should go to the red letters and be an incentive to go red.

I totally want to see this happen but nothing has been done!!!

Start a thread and vote on it ;)

So what is the explanation? Calling the Chapter Pres... or even the Chapter BOD... 'splain Lucy!

No explanation other than we screwed up and dropped the ball.

We, the SoCal BOD, have made some changes so that the SoCal Chapter is well represented at the National level.

I am working on a proposal to do just that. It will be presented to National at the February Board meeting. It will be mid-February before a decision will be made.

I am working on a proposal to do just that. It will be presented to National at the February Board meeting. It will be mid-February before a decision will be made.
what about all the people who already made reservations? will they be reimbursed, or are they SOL? i only ask because i havent made reservations yet for this very reason.

what about all the people who already made reservations? will they be reimbursed, or are they SOL? i only ask because i havent made reservations yet for this very reason.

Make your reservations everybody. If the camping proposal gets green-lit it will be in the form of reimbursements because of timing and logistics challenges.

Back