• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

McCain chooses Palin as his running mate

A good commentary.

With multiple media outlets confirming now that Governor Sarah Palin will indeed join the Republican ticket as John McCain’s running mate, McCain has clearly chosen to play offense rather than defense. Instead of a safe choice, such as closest runner-up Mitt Romney or genial Everyman Tim Pawlenty, McCain took some risk with a relative newcomer to national politics. Palin will inject risk, excitement, controversy, and an unexpected historic note to the Republican convention.

First, though, let’s assess the risk. Palin has served less than two years as Governor of Alaska, which tends to eat into the experience message on which McCain has relied thus far. At 44, she’s younger than Barack Obama by three years. She has served as a mayor and as the Ethics Commissioner on the state board regulating oil and naturalk gas, for a total of eight years political experience before her election as governor. That’s also less than Obama has, with seven years in the Illinois legislature and three in the US Senate.

However, the nature of the experience couldn’t be more different. Palin spent her entire political career crusading against the political machine that rules Alaska — which exists in her own Republican party. She blew the whistle on the state GOP chair, who had abused his power on the same commission to conduct party business. Obama, in contrast, talked a great deal about reform in Chicago but never challenged the party machine, preferring to take an easy ride as a protegé of Richard Daley instead.

Palin has no formal foreign-policy experience, which puts her at a disadvantage to Joe Biden. However, in nineteen months as governor, she certainly has had more practical experience in diplomacy than Biden or Obama have ever seen. She runs the only American state bordered only by two foreign countries, one of which has increasingly grown hostile to the US again, Russia.

And let’s face it — Team Obama can hardly attack Palin for a lack of foreign-policy experience. Obama has none at all, and neither Obama or Biden have any executive experience. Palin has almost over seven years of executive experience.

Politically, this puts Obama in a very tough position. The Democrats had prepared to launch a full assault on McCain’s running mate, but having Palin as a target creates one large headache. If they go after her like they went after Hillary Clinton, Obama risks alienating women all over again. If they don’t go after her like they went after Hillary, he risks alienating Hillary supporters, who will see this as a sign of disrespect for Hillary.

For McCain, this gives him a boost like no other in several different ways. First, the media will eat this up. That effectively buries Obama’s acceptance speech and steals the oxygen he needs for a long-term convention bump. A Romney or Pawlenty pick would not have accomplished that.

Second, Palin will re-energize the base. She’s not just a pro-life advocate, she’s lived the issue herself. That will attract the elements of the GOP that had held McCain at a distance since the primaries and provide positive motivation for Republicans, rather than just rely on anti-Democrat sentiment to get them to the polls.

Third, and I think maybe most importantly, Palin addresses the energy issue better and more attuned to the American electorate than maybe any of the other three principals in this election. Even beyond her efforts to reform the Oil and Natural Gas Commission, she has demonstrated her independence from so-called “Big Oil” while promoting domestic production. She brings instant credibility to the ticket on energy policy, and reminds independents and centrists that the Obama-Biden ticket offers nothing but the same excuses we’ve heard for 30 years.

Finally, based on all of the above, McCain can remind voters who has the real record of reform. Obama talks a lot about it but has no actual record of reform, and for a running mate, he chose a 35-year Washington insider with all sorts of connections to lobbyists and pork. McCain has fought pork, taken real political risks to fight undue influence of lobbyists, and he picked an outsider who took on her own party — and won.

This is change you can believe in, and not change that amounts to all talk. McCain changed the trajectory of the race today by stealing Obama’s strength and turning it against him. Obama provided that opening by picking Biden as his running mate, and McCain was smart enough to take advantage of the opening.

Goatman said:
A good commentary.

With multiple media outlets confirming now that Governor Sarah Palin will indeed join the Republican ticket as John McCain’s running mate, McCain has clearly chosen to play offense rather than defense. Instead of a safe choice, such as closest runner-up Mitt Romney or genial Everyman Tim Pawlenty, McCain took some risk with a relative newcomer to national politics. Palin will inject risk, excitement, controversy, and an unexpected historic note to the Republican convention.

First, though, let’s assess the risk. Palin has served less than two years as Governor of Alaska, which tends to eat into the experience message on which McCain has relied thus far. At 44, she’s younger than Barack Obama by three years. She has served as a mayor and as the Ethics Commissioner on the state board regulating oil and naturalk gas, for a total of eight years political experience before her election as governor. That’s also less than Obama has, with seven years in the Illinois legislature and three in the US Senate.

However, the nature of the experience couldn’t be more different. Palin spent her entire political career crusading against the political machine that rules Alaska — which exists in her own Republican party. She blew the whistle on the state GOP chair, who had abused his power on the same commission to conduct party business. Obama, in contrast, talked a great deal about reform in Chicago but never challenged the party machine, preferring to take an easy ride as a protegé of Richard Daley instead.

Palin has no formal foreign-policy experience, which puts her at a disadvantage to Joe Biden. However, in nineteen months as governor, she certainly has had more practical experience in diplomacy than Biden or Obama have ever seen. She runs the only American state bordered only by two foreign countries, one of which has increasingly grown hostile to the US again, Russia.

And let’s face it — Team Obama can hardly attack Palin for a lack of foreign-policy experience. Obama has none at all, and neither Obama or Biden have any executive experience. Palin has almost over seven years of executive experience.

Politically, this puts Obama in a very tough position. The Democrats had prepared to launch a full assault on McCain’s running mate, but having Palin as a target creates one large headache. If they go after her like they went after Hillary Clinton, Obama risks alienating women all over again. If they don’t go after her like they went after Hillary, he risks alienating Hillary supporters, who will see this as a sign of disrespect for Hillary.

For McCain, this gives him a boost like no other in several different ways. First, the media will eat this up. That effectively buries Obama’s acceptance speech and steals the oxygen he needs for a long-term convention bump. A Romney or Pawlenty pick would not have accomplished that.

Second, Palin will re-energize the base. She’s not just a pro-life advocate, she’s lived the issue herself. That will attract the elements of the GOP that had held McCain at a distance since the primaries and provide positive motivation for Republicans, rather than just rely on anti-Democrat sentiment to get them to the polls.

Third, and I think maybe most importantly, Palin addresses the energy issue better and more attuned to the American electorate than maybe any of the other three principals in this election. Even beyond her efforts to reform the Oil and Natural Gas Commission, she has demonstrated her independence from so-called “Big Oil” while promoting domestic production. She brings instant credibility to the ticket on energy policy, and reminds independents and centrists that the Obama-Biden ticket offers nothing but the same excuses we’ve heard for 30 years.

Finally, based on all of the above, McCain can remind voters who has the real record of reform. Obama talks a lot about it but has no actual record of reform, and for a running mate, he chose a 35-year Washington insider with all sorts of connections to lobbyists and pork. McCain has fought pork, taken real political risks to fight undue influence of lobbyists, and he picked an outsider who took on her own party — and won.

This is change you can believe in, and not change that amounts to all talk. McCain changed the trajectory of the race today by stealing Obama’s strength and turning it against him. Obama provided that opening by picking Biden as his running mate, and McCain was smart enough to take advantage of the opening.

That was a good read. Nice find

Wow; an interesting move on McCain’s part. Talk about getting your attention! It could also put her in a good position to run in eight years. I have nothing against a woman as VP or president, for that matter. When it does happen, though I hope we get one along the lines of Margaret Thatcher.

BTW, I’d sure like to be a fly on the wall in the Clintons hotel room right about now.
:roflmao:

I would feel alot better about her if she had more than just two years as a governor. Maybe if she was in her second term as governor, then I could count that as useful experience.
Lets face it, even I could BS my way through 18 months as governor of AK, the trick would be getting relected. And she has zero experience doing anything in the lower 48.
I hope she does well. She seems like a good and trustworthy person who is honestly trying and will be very good in a few more years, but I think its too soon for her to be next in line for the most powerful position on the planet.

Bent said:
Wow; an interesting move on McCain’s part. Talk about getting your attention! It could also put her in a good position to run in eight years. I have nothing against a woman as VP or president, for that matter. When it does happen, though I hope we get one along the lines of Margaret Thatcher.

BTW, I’d sure like to be a fly on the wall in the Clintons hotel room right about now.
:roflmao:

No shit, and not the likes of Hillary or (God forbid) Pelosi.

The political climate just got a bunch more interesting!

Ray H said:
I would feel alot better about her if she had more than just two years as a governor. Maybe if she was in her second term as governor, then I could count that as useful experience.
Lets face it, even I could BS my way through 18 months as governor of AK, the trick would be getting relected. And she has zero experience doing anything in the lower 48.
I hope she does well. She seems like a good and trustworthy person who is honestly trying and will be very good in a few more years, but I think its too soon for her to be next in line for the most powerful position on the planet.

Obama was sworn in as a Senator on January 4, 2005. Doesn't even have a state to run....and no one has to die for him to be President.

JohnJohn said:
Obama was sworn in as a Senator on January 4, 2005. Doesn't even have a state to run....and no one has to die for him to be President.

I wasnt doing a comparison or defending Obama. I agree 100% that Obama doesnt have enough experience to run the country. I was just saying that Im not sure Palin does either.

The lack of experience is a plus to me, we need to break away from these damn career politicians living in their ivory towers.

But most importantly, where are the photos? :D

NICE FISH

092607govpalinfish.jpg

JohnJohn said:
NICE FISH

092607govpalinfish.jpg

I can already see that if McCain gets elected, there will be many, many interesting photo ops of our VP.

GSequoia said:
The lack of experience is a plus to me, we need to break away from these damn career politicians living in their ivory towers.

Crap.......(am I agreeing with Sequoia? )..... career politicians have gotten us where we are today, pretty screwed up IMO.

Look at GW.....no, George Washington. He had the vision and knew why he'd fought to help put the Constitution in place.
To his disappointment, two parties were developing by the end of his first term. Wearied of politics, feeling old, he retired at the end of his second. In his Farewell Address, he urged his countrymen to forswear excessive party spirit and geographical distinctions. In foreign affairs, he warned against long-term alliances.

I don't know a lot about Palin, hoping to learn more.

GSequoia said:

Yes, and interestingly, along with Obama's lack of experience he has risen up through the political ranks as a political understudy and career politician..........just like Bill Clinton did.

There is no comparing the experience between Obama and Palin, Obama never worked for a living, 3 years in the senate, 2 of those years so far running for office. Palin on the other hand worked with her hands and back, small town politics, state politics and not only survived but did a lot of cleaning house, sh can talk the talk and walk the walk, Obama can only talk the talk.
International experience, something to think about, Alaska has TWO international borders, Canada AND Russia, the Alaskans do interface with Russians on a regular basis. Whats OBama got besides two rock and roll show tours that were the envy of Michael Jackson and his choreographers, hell, he probably used michael's people on the European show stops.:roflmao:

This was about the only thing that got me away from Bob Barr...

Ray H said:
She's probably not getting the coveted PETA vote:):):)

Which PETA, the People Eating Tasty Animals or the other lame one...

Whats the NRA membership up to now, :D :D :D :D

Well I think its a good way to go. Now Obama cant say that McCain is not for the working class. Hell she comes form the working class and in a way stil is part of it. Her husband working up in the oil feilds a member of the local union. Her son a member of the Army deploying to Iraq in a month or so. Not coming from big money like most of the carreer politicians. But comeing from working parents. Plus she loves outdoor spots and stuff. I mean whats not to like about her.........Oh bytheway has it been said that she MILF aswell............

Back