• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Matco

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since tech college the vast majority of my tools have been Mac with a few Snap-on thrown in for good measure. Also I don't want to hear about how awesome Snap-On is compared to Mac...don't believe it and don't want to hear it. However, we just started getting a Matco truck at the shop and I have bought a few smaller things and I found a few bigger things I want but before I invest that kind of money has anybody had any experience with Matco quality as compared to Mac or Snap-On?

You have to be carefull, as Matco dealers have a tendancy to come and go. I have some of their tools and can't get them warrantied because there isn't a dealer in my region anymore.

The ones I have met seem to move up to be Snap-on, or Mac dealer when a territory opens up. Cornwell seems about the same they come and go.

Same here, but if a territory opens up. i.e. someone retiring, there are 12 guys standing in line ready to jump on it.

To answer your original ? they are all pretty good tools. I use tools to make a living so I don't mind paying a bit more. I even have quite a few Craftsman tools. But the main reason I stick with Snap-on is he shows up every week like clockwork. The other venders, if no one in the shop owes them money you might not see them for weeks at a time. That's a vender I choose not to deal with. I look at this way if it's a tool I will be using on a daily basis, I want quality, If it' s a tool I might use once month, I can deal with Craftsman, or lower priced tools.

Last edited:
Hey, who doesn't want to drive a tool truck? Ultimate job...
You mean Toy truck? Ha.
I've never had issues with Matco. They have good products. I can see why in some places, if they are unavail, then you wouldn't want to.

You mean Toy truck? Ha.
I've never had issues with Matco. They have good products. I can see why in some places, if they are unavail, then you wouldn't want to.
I'm not saying they have bad tools, just sucks when you buy from a vender & than their corporate decides there is not enough business to have a route thru here anymore. So now if you break a tool, you have no way of getting it replaced.

My dad is a matco dealer and has been for years along with owning a diesel maintenance shop, I naturally have mostly all matco tools and have not had a problem with anything but a 1/2" ratchet which was returned for a new one no questions asked. Matco in my opinion has the best tools going and in my neck of the corn it has the best salesmen and service. Snap-on has a good name in a lot of places but around here most mechanics prefer matco. They are like any job and have a pretty big turn over because many people try and get into it and dont realize the work it is to basically run your own company. Just my o2

Good stuff, I personally like my Snap-On counter parts to my Matco stuff. I do use a little Matco rachet quite often though. My only issue has been finding the Matco guys to warranty the stuff out when it needs repalcing. Also, take my advice. Dont have more then one truck account at a time. That $50 a week minimum becomes $100 a week when you have two accounts. Thats always been a concern of mine. As far as buying the stuff, buy from who ever will give you the best deal on comparable items.

Yeah...I learned the temptation to keep truck accounts needs to be controlled real quick. Had 4 at one point but I just maintain two now. I like to keep on good terms with everyone though for warranty/I need this right now purposes. However I have never met a Snap-On guy I could get along with easily. I think the brand goes to the head.

Nothing wrong with Matco compared to the other two. I have some of all three's tools and no real issues out of any of them. Plus, I like Matco's ADV line of impact sockets. Little bit cheaper but still carry the lifetime warranty.

I had a matco dealer once, he would show up at random times, then stopped coming at all, yet he would harrass the people who owed him money over the phone. I ended up telling him if he wanted his money, he needed to show up and warranty some tools, and he stopped calling shortly after that. Turns out he went to jail for touching little boys.

Our Matco guy is great. Actually the only one that shows up on the day and time he says he will. Mac guy will show up in the same day he says he will and Snap-On guy might show up 1 out of every 3 times he is supposed to.

I have some of they same issuies here you don't see them for weeks at a time. Than they randomly show up expecting a monthes worth of payments. I usually give them what I can afford and send them on there fricking with there tail between there legs. You want paid every week, than show up every week. I'm not gonna go looking for you to make a payment.

I've really downsized my accounts. The only one I owe money is Snap-on. And that for there master ball joint press kit, that I use several times a week.

Back