• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maryland XJ people

I notice fellow MD'ers on the thread. I have a 91XJ I moved here when I re-located a couple years ago. ITs time to get under the hood again, and I see lifts, etc. I've been told MD inspection is quite rigourous on mods. Anyone care to share their experiences? Advice?

I just took mine through inspection 6 weeks ago. I have a 3.5" lift. They got me on stupid stuff, but nothing related to the lift.
Mike

Hooray. Can't wait to take my 4 rigs through this inspection. Especially my 1988 MJ that was originally equipped with a 4.0L and now has an OBDII 5.9L in it...

NJ was pretty strict on inspections a few years ago and I failed for some pretty stupid stuff, like a "loose" steering box, cracked turn signal lens that still was completely functional and a fender flare that was apparently not bolted down correctly and could fly off and kill someone in a moments notice - yea, it was loose, but that's because some idiot backed into the rear corner of my XJ and now there is a gap between the body and the flare.

Luckily for buyers of 10+ year old Jeeps like myself who know their rigs have little quirks that you just get use to, NJ decided they have no money and couldn't afford the long hours Motor Vehicle personnel were putting into doing these rigorous inspections, so they completely cut all of the safety stuff out and we're left with two tests - plug a scanner into the OBDII port and check for codes (or do a fart sniffer test if it's pre-ODBII) and check the fuel cap to see if it holds a certain pressure for a period of time. I recently took my XJ through with cracked windshield that impaired my view and there wasn't a thing they could do about it. Kind of made me feel good for all of those years of failing for stupid stuff. Unfortunately, the police officer in my town wasn't nearly as kind and issued me a $50 ticket for it :D

Hooray. Can't wait to take my 4 rigs through this inspection. Especially my 1988 MJ that was originally equipped with a 4.0L and now has an OBDII 5.9L in it...

NJ was pretty strict on inspections a few years ago and I failed for some pretty stupid stuff, like a "loose" steering box, cracked turn signal lens that still was completely functional and a fender flare that was apparently not bolted down correctly and could fly off and kill someone in a moments notice - yea, it was loose, but that's because some idiot backed into the rear corner of my XJ and now there is a gap between the body and the flare.

Luckily for buyers of 10+ year old Jeeps like myself who know their rigs have little quirks that you just get use to, NJ decided they have no money and couldn't afford the long hours Motor Vehicle personnel were putting into doing these rigorous inspections, so they completely cut all of the safety stuff out and we're left with two tests - plug a scanner into the OBDII port and check for codes (or do a fart sniffer test if it's pre-ODBII) and check the fuel cap to see if it holds a certain pressure for a period of time. I recently took my XJ through with cracked windshield that impaired my view and there wasn't a thing they could do about it. Kind of made me feel good for all of those years of failing for stupid stuff. Unfortunately, the police officer in my town wasn't nearly as kind and issued me a $50 ticket for it :D

one word... historic tags. no emissions, no inspection. youre welcome.

not even that. you get insurance on said vehicle (i.e. mines an 87) walk into dmv, register as historic, and boom. you got yourself a plated vehicle. none of this paying for temp tags to get it inspected, $50 to inspect and then hope they dont nit pick.

not saying you shouldnt make sure the safety equipment works... definitely a good idea, just no one besides you to check up on it.

not even that. you get insurance on said vehicle (i.e. mines an 87) walk into dmv, register as historic, and boom. you got yourself a plated vehicle. none of this paying for temp tags to get it inspected, $50 to inspect and then hope they dont nit pick.

not saying you shouldnt make sure the safety equipment works... definitely a good idea, just no one besides you to check up on it.

Making sure all lights' ect work keeps Johnny Law off of your back. Remember, Historic tags are not a general use tag. I guess it depends on what area you live in as to how Johnny Law enforces the rules...

my advice - get it inspected before lifting it if it's not already. You only have to do it once, and yes, it's an extremely intense inspection covering basically everything.

If it's already lifted, you need to make sure the ground to bottom of bumper is within spec (28" max). Also need to make sure you have fender flares covering most of the tires. I think you get about 1" leeway from the outside edge of the tread before it has to be covered.

my advice - get it inspected before lifting it if it's not already. You only have to do it once, and yes, it's an extremely intense inspection covering basically everything.

If it's already lifted, you need to make sure the ground to bottom of bumper is within spec (28" max). Also need to make sure you have fender flares covering most of the tires. I think you get about 1" leeway from the outside edge of the tread before it has to be covered.

State police roll a penny off of your fender/flare. If it hits outside of the lugs/tread pattern you are legal. If it hits lug/tread you have a ticket.

I went through with 3.5" of lift on Aug 28/11. Before I went in, I replaced my rear track bar, as I cut and welded it. If you have offroad lights and they are functional they HAVE to be covered. I got nailed for a shock bushing, jeep pulling to the left while braking, oil leak on valve cover, parking brake not holding, 2 pinhole leaks in my exhaust. All I did to correct the situation was to replace parking brake pads, fix exhaust leak, front end alignment, and sprayed degreaser on valve cover before re-inspection.
All they checked was the parking brake, and passed her. Just keep all receipts for parts/repairs if you fail the first time.
I did not have flares for my 32's at the time, I took the tires off of my cherokee at put on the zj so I was legal.

State police roll a penny off of your fender/flare. If it hits outside of the lugs/tread pattern you are legal. If it hits lug/tread you have a ticket.

Actually it's a quarter :twak:

Hi folks.
I actually live in DC but Work in Columbia MD near the CRays in Jessup.

I actually was there during the day sunday (why watch the redskins lose to the eagles when I can be junkyarding..)

Anyway, I was at the JY because my Jeep was stolen 3 weeks ago, got it back after a week, then last friday some bastard tried to pry my club off the steering wheel bending my column more.

On the up side CRays had the glass I needed (rare to find the pop out glass for a 2 door Xj with the Mirror tint.), however I am still going to have to replace my steering column.

Anyway, here Is a pic of my rig
2-door XJ Laredo with Renix [1989] 4.0
3.5 Inch RE lift with lower control arms and trackbar upgrades.
Cragar Soft 8s 31x10.5

Planning to upgrade with a Head swap and Borla Header.

Jeep1.jpg

Snowheeling.jpg

Last edited:
almost positive I've seen your rig around before. Welcome!

anyone want to buy a tire?

I have a 235/75R15 Firestone Destination M/T for sale. Tire has only about 2500 miles on it (98% tread - 20/32"). Looks brand new - still has all the "nubs" on it.

The tire has a shoulder tread puncture (small) in one of the side lugs that prevents me from using it as a street tire since my jeep is my DD. Someone could easily patch it and put a tube inside it to use on a trail rig.

I've run these tires for the past 6 years and love them - they're unstoppable in any conditions.

Price is $75 obo. Pick up in Laurel or Olney, or will deliver within reason.

1017111408-00.jpg

0524112021-00.jpg

MD will flag that stuff too. Everything has to be functional and safe. If you can't make it do that then either fix it or remove it prior to inspection. They don't care about the backstory either--it's your pos fix it or sell it

Just switched my auto insurance from NJ to MD...figured it would go down. Went up about 25%. WTF

Had to remove two of my vehicles from the policy just to get it down to where it was before.

DC/Central MD has the dumbest drivers ever...that's why

Back