• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual tranny swap Q

MJ_Chubs

NAXJA Forum User
This kind of goes along with my drivetrain post.

Has anyone swapped an AX-15 (or NV3550) behind a 4.3 L (or SBC, same bolt pattern) with stock parts from a junkyard? Advance Adapters has bellhousings for the conversion but they're around $400 a pop, plus the cost of a clutch, slave cylinder, etc. I'd like to see if it can be done cheaper. Thanks.

Brent

MJ_Chubs said:
This kind of goes along with my drivetrain post.

Has anyone swapped an AX-15 (or NV3550) behind a 4.3 L (or SBC, same bolt pattern) with stock parts from a junkyard? Advance Adapters has bellhousings for the conversion but they're around $400 a pop, plus the cost of a clutch, slave cylinder, etc. I'd like to see if it can be done cheaper. Thanks.

Brent

If you don't already have the nv3550, you can get a nv3500 which has the ingerated bell housing. But is other wise the same transmission. It came stock behind 4.3L in s-10's and full size GM trucks.
I don't know if they were even behind a v-8 but you should be able to find one in a junk yard.

It was also used in ram 1500, and 2500ld trucks, but it also has the integral bellhousing, and I would ASSume that the gm and dodge motors have a different bolt pattern( I am 100% sure about that but I don't want to say no and then have someone come flame me).

According to a dodge truck website it still has the "Input torque rating: 300 ft-lb". so it is just as strong as the nv3550.

I have to go work on school work now, but if you do some searches on the internet you can find out alot of info about this transmission.

HTH

Scott
Hope this helps

Back