• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Malware, Anti-spyware

Frank,
I use Kaspersky Internet Security. AS it turns out, a good many "other" products get thier virus definitions from Kaspersky. This version is licensed for three computers which covers mine, the wife's and the kid's.

just my .02!

I trust the resistor worked in your gauges?

Dave

Malwarebytes was suggested to me by Marktard.

It's working perfectly. :thumbup:

Try superantispyware I know it sounds stupid but it is really good try it for free forever too,it wont slow you down either and I also use kaspersky internet sec.

No one product is going to be 100% successful in always catching all infections.

You need the following:
1) An antivirus program
2) An antimalware program, and
3) A firewall.

Some programs do only one of the three.

I'm currently using Norton 360. Norton has had a bad rap because older versions used to chew up vast amounts of system resources. The current 360 version does not appear to be so much of a problem for me.

I have used Webroot - Great product, but the worst customer service of all that I have tried.
I have used McAfee - Pretty good, but it let too many infections fly by.
I have used Panda AntiVirus - It's like Having a Kung-Fu Panda on your PC. No complaints (yet)
I have used Avast and AVG - The motel 6 of of protection.
I have used Zonealarm Firewall - Very powerful, but almost too powerful for the novice user.
I have used Windows Firewall - Is this thing working?

===

Here's how I currently keep my PC Clean:

* I have Norton 360 running all the time. It has built in antivirus, built in malware detection, and a built in firewall.
* I installed and use McAfee Site Advisor (a free download). It will check web sites for known infections and warn you before you click.
* I NEVER use Microsoft Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary.
* I use either Firefox or Safari as my web browsers.
* I update and run a Malwarebytes scan every 2-4 weeks.
* I update and run Panda Activescan once a month.
* I update and install a custom hosts file every 2 months. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Last edited:
I use Avira Antivir. It has all 3 requirements (firewall, malware, virus) Doesn't slow anything down and works much better than Norton. I had a virus related crash at one point due to the Norton, and will never use it again.

My buddy works at a microsoft help desk, and they use it religously for their systems (irony?).

I use IE all the time and have no problems. It's popped up maybe a hundred times with the potential issues it's prevented.

All the good stuff's been mentioned. Avira, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search&Destroy, etc.

Another good app to make use of is HijackThis.

The problem is that I'm have is somehow managed to get a program/virus on my computer that keeps sending out emails with a link to some fookin' Chinese electronics store to everyone in my address book. Some of you may have received it as well.

Obviously I'm pissed beyond all measure and want to kill it...and the Lil' fawker that came up with it.:badpc:

Before posting this thread I tried scanning my PC with Windows Defender, McAfee, Webroot Spy Sweeper, and Avast. None of them can find a virus or report anything really unusual.

Malwarebytes is your best luck, there is a decent chance it's custom written malware especially for the person who makes the money off it. If that doesn't work, looks like you get to spend your weekend reinstalling windows (or installing linux/freebsd/other open source so you don't have to worry as much anymore.)

Errr, best chance. Wish this phone would let me edit :smsoap:

I tried using Spysweeper (from MSN) and it's really slowing my PC down.
What are you folks using and are you having any performance issues as a result?

FWIW:
Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
6 Gig of Ram
Pentium Dual Core 2.6gHz

It is not Spysweeper! You have other issues! Having Windows 7(64) w/ 6 gig ram and 2.6 Dual Core means very little. I have been using Webroot for 8 years now and am very pleased with the product. I have tried just about everything under the sun and Webroot products are top notch. You should clean your computer including registry every day and you should defrag atleast once a week.

Mac!?! You just a earned a kick to your iNutz.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Mac's are awesome computers as they are mostly immune to the problems of the PC.............. But they are not supported like the PC either! If I could play my Red Orchestra on a Mac like I do my PC, I would have one tomorrow!

Back