• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machine Shop?

conejocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a good machine shop to rebuild my 2000 shortblock. Prefer Ventura County or San Fernando Valley area, but open to others by great recommendation.
Also, any idea what it should cost? Mine has no obvious damage, just low compression.
Thanks.

Check with russ pottenger. Bishop Buell racing engines. He did the motor in Cal's race jeep.

sure it needs a rebuild? did you do a leakdown test to make sure the low compression is from bad rings, or maybe just bad valve seating? how many miles on the engine? you may get away with just a head rebuild.

Nope, not sure at all. It's a 2000 sport with 186,500 miles.

I bought this as a non-runner. The seller had bought it 6 months before and after changing the oil, heard a knock. He took it to a shop and they told him it had a broken piston skirt on #6.
They "rebuilt" the motor... he drove it about 100 miles and then smogged it. It passed easily, I have the printout. He then drove it another 300 miles without incident and then it just quit. He contacted the shop that did the rebuild and they told him they were too busy. (1st red flag)
He took it to another shop and they told him it had low compression. He gave up and sold it to me.
I got it home and sure enough, 65 pounds +/- on all cylinders. I checked the valve timing and it seems correct. So I pulled the head hoping to find an answer.

Observations:
Head looks good, no antifreeze in the oil or top end, no evidence of cracks. It doesn't look like was surfaced or rebuilt.
Pistons are STD bore, but not original.
Block has been out, painted and has new freeze plugs.

At this point, I would like to pull the block and rebuild it correctly so I know what's there. I suspect the mechanic just changed pistons and hoped it would fly.

I bought it right, so I don't mind spending a little to do it right, for the long term.

Thanks for the tips.

with that kind of history i do not blame you for wanting to rebuild it. but after hearing about the broken piston and shady work done, you may consider buying a long block all ready rebuilt and using yours as a core. i am not saying your block is junk, but we have no idea WHAT that shop did to it. something to consider.

What ^^ said. I would find another block, get it rebuilt have your head checked/maybe a valve job? And swap everything over and go. OR, find a GM LSx V8 and swap that in!

I just tried to get a hold of russ last week. He is backed up for about 3 months. But according to others it well worth the wait.

Yeah, it looks like he's actively crewing for a top alcohol funny car, and they're kicking ass.

where is the jeep? san pedro is a long way from thousand oaks. i would think you can find a machine shop closer to you. if distance is not a problem then you may want to call Team C Performance. i think they are in bellflower or lakewood, something like that. i know they used to have a great machine shop but have not used them in years.

Well, I've built a few motors in my day...Here are the places I've used.

http://www.velliosmachineshop.com/ they are pretty hit or miss, but the tend to do good work.

http://www.yellowpages.com/inglewood-ca/mip/engine-machine-service-23305662?lid=23305662 they used to be down the street on Manchester, if you can get Dick to do the work, it's top notch, but he was passing the work off to Bruce who trashed a few motors for me. they also use very old equipment so the decking tends to be a bit rough.

http://tgsperformance.com/ they are a top notch shop, but you tend to pay for it, I've had them O-ring a few blocks for me and they tend to come out awesome.

Back