• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MaCain Liberal?

Boatwrench said:
McCain also has cut veteran's benefits.

I wasn't talking all Republican's or votes along party lines, just McCain's record. You are right he will opt for big business over vets, because even though he is a vet, he comes from big money, not the average GI family that may need to rely on veteran's benefits.

Ecomike said:
Actually the inflation problem was inherited by Carter from Ford, who inherited it from Nixon, do you remember the Nixon wage and price freezes by executive order? And of course Nixon inherited inflation and the Vietnam war that started the inflation spiral from LBJ. Another presidential mistake from Texas.

Interesting how history repeats itself. I learned the other day that LBJ sole sourced all the overseas contracts for Vietnam to Brown & Root (Now Haliburton), just like Bush Cheney did with Haliburton for Iraq. Now that waste of my tax dollars, not having competitive bids, is what should be called treason.

Perhaps you can go back a little further in your research and provide so historical data on what adminstration created income taxes, Welfare and Social Security? Then you can dig even deeper and find out why our founding fathers, through inspiration from God, formed this country and drafted our Constitution? Then, when you're done with that historical research, explain why our ancestors came to this continent in the first place. I don't give a rip if you have an D or R next to your party status, what I care about is loss of freedom and God-given rights.

Tom R. said:
To add to red's post...

The presidency is an executive position and it's vastly preferred that candidates have executive experience. Palin has it, Obama does not. This is significant because an execuative makes decisions, leads, manages, governs, takes responsibility etc. A senator does none of these. This is common knowledge within political circles and intelligent people recognize it.

What's absurd is hearing Obama supporters suggest that she doesn't have enough experience. Her overall political experience is only slightly less than Obama's, but it's in areas that really count. She has accomplished REAL CHANGE as an EXECUTIVE, not just empty words from someone who doesn't vote in Congress often. Let each of their records speak for themselves.

While I don't disagree with many of your points above, may I point out that LBJ was a US Senator, and he got more done with Congress during his administration, as he set the current record (with the possible exception of GWB) for promoting and getting his legislative agenda passed by congress, during his presidency. I make this comment in regard to the current political stalemate, and posturing that has been going on Washington recently. Not saying LBJ was saint, he wasn't, but he was a Senator first and not a governor or mayor.

I suspect we are going to have a Democrat controlled congress and legislature for the next 2 to 4 years. If you want congress to get anything done next year, a democrat in the white house would help. If you want very little to get done in Washington the next 2 to 4 years then a Republican president would help. I could argue the advantages of either one.

One philosphy is the less Washington can do, due to political insider bikering, the less damage they can due to us. On the other hand if we want major changes in important US policies that have serious affects on our daily lives, a freindly to Congress White House would be better.

I doubt Palin would be very freindly to a democrat controlled Congress, resulting in gridlock in Washington. From what I have read here, it appears most NAXJA members would prefer gridlock, so for them Palin would be a great strategic choice, but that is not my preference right now. There are major issues that Washington needs to address with out further delay, and the democrats represent my position on most of those issues.

XJEEPER said:
Perhaps you can go back a little further in your research and provide so historical data on what adminstration created income taxes, Welfare and Social Security? Then you can dig even deeper and find out why our founding fathers, through inspiration from God, formed this country and drafted our Constitution? Then, when you're done with that historical research, explain why our ancestors came to this continent in the first place.

Already been there done that. Thanks for the suggestion, might be fun to do it again! LOL. IIRC A. Lincoln started income taxes and floated the first US green back paper currency to fund the Civil war.

XJEEPER said:
I don't give a rip if you have an D or R next to your party status, what I care about is loss of freedom and God-given rights.

No argument there!:cheers:

We just disagree on how best to do that.

Boatwrench said:
I wasn't talking all Republican's or votes along party lines, just McCain's record. You are right he will opt for big business over vets, because even though he is a vet, he comes from big money, not the average GI family that may need to rely on veteran's benefits.

Now I see your point on those posts. Good Points!

I read an email a while back shortly after McCain made it clear that he was apposed to any kind of additional national health care help for those who fall through the cracks of our current system. Something I know a good deal about, as I went through it with my family when my step daughter had to have brain surgery at 3 years old for a brain tumor in 1981.

But back to McCain. The email noted that McCain has had continuous US government paid for health insurance his entire life. First as the sibling of a Navy officer, then while in the Navy, then while in Congress. He has no problem with using and voting to fund his own government paid for heath care / insurance, but to hell with the little guy and gal sturgling to survive at minimum wage with no health insurance. Walmart comes to mind.

Ecomike said:
IIRC A. Lincoln started income taxes and floated the first US green back paper currency to fund the Civil war. .

President Lincoln may have started a form of income taxes but the 26th Amendment to The Constitution ratified February 3, 1913 solified it.

"The Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes on incomes from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census of enumeration."

Boatwrench said:
President Lincoln may have started a form of income taxes but the 26th Amendment to The Constitution ratified February 3, 1913 solified it.

"The Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes on incomes from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census of enumeration."

"The Civil War income tax was the first tax paid on individual incomes by residents ... Lincoln also appointed a collector and an assessor for each district." ...
www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1986/winter/civil-war-tax-records.html
  1. The Great Tax Wars - From Lincoln to T.R. to Wilson - How the ...

The Great Tax Wars: From Lincoln to T.R. to Wilson: How the Income Tax Transformed ... Prior to the Civil War, the U.S. government did not tax incomes; ...
    www.yalereviewofbooks.com/archive/winter03/review04.shtml.htm -
  2. AS AMERICAN AS … INCOME TAX

In addition to an income tax to support the Civil War, ... It was another war, World War I, which prompted the overhaul of Mr. Lincoln’s tax system. ...
    civilwarstudies.org/articles/Vol_4/incometax.htm
  3. This Day in History 1861: Lincoln imposes first federal income tax

On this day in 1861, Lincoln imposes the first federal income tax by signing the Revenue Act. Strapped for cash with which to pursue the Civil War, ...
    www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do?action=Article&id=50716
But this such a taxing subject, LOL, lets move on to something thats fun!:laugh3:

Ecomike said:
Something I know a good deal about, as I went through it with my family when my step daughter had to have brain surgery at 3 years old for a brain tumor in 1981.

So, where does it say in the Constitution that it's the government's responsibilty to provide for the health and welfare for your family? Are you a gerbil, or a man? When the government provides everything for you, your freedoms are gone.. It's happening a little at a time. I'll bet you had choices and options when the tumor was discovered.........say goodbye to those if the government runs healthcare. BTW, how did things turn out for your stepdaugther?

Last edited:
Ecomike said:
"The Civil War income tax was the first tax paid on individual incomes by residents ... Lincoln also appointed a collector and an assessor for each district." ...
www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1986/winter/civil-war-tax-records.html
  1. The Great Tax Wars - From Lincoln to T.R. to Wilson - How the ...

The Great Tax Wars: From Lincoln to T.R. to Wilson: How the Income Tax Transformed ... Prior to the Civil War, the U.S. government did not tax incomes; ...
    www.yalereviewofbooks.com/archive/winter03/review04.shtml.htm -
  2. AS AMERICAN AS … INCOME TAX

In addition to an income tax to support the Civil War, ... It was another war, World War I, which prompted the overhaul of Mr. Lincoln’s tax system. ...
    civilwarstudies.org/articles/Vol_4/incometax.htm
  3. This Day in History 1861: Lincoln imposes first federal income tax

On this day in 1861, Lincoln imposes the first federal income tax by signing the Revenue Act. Strapped for cash with which to pursue the Civil War, ...
    www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do?action=Article&id=50716
But this such a taxing subject, LOL, lets move on to something thats fun!:laugh3:

Taxes funded the Civil War, which ended slavery, which was awesome.........so all taxes must be good?

Try "Taxation without representation"..........use your vast computer skills to dig deeper.

EcoMike said:
There are major issues that Washington needs to address with out further delay, and the democrats represent my position on most of those issues.

Care to voice what are those major issues?

karstic said:
Care to voice what are those major issues?

National Health Care. It is with our country's ability to make it work. It is within our country's best interest economically to have available a healthy workforce.

Boatwrench said:
National Health Care. It is with our country's ability to make it work. It is within our country's best interest economically to have available a healthy workforce.

Wow double post!

Boatwrench said:

Do you really think so? I have little faith in our governmet to make such a potentially large bureaucratic agency work, let alone work well.

You want to promote health in this country? Get rid of the farm subsidies that make corn and corn based junk foods so damn cheap. So many of this country's health problems can be attributed to poor diet and lack of physical activity. But then again where does personal responsibility come into play...

It is within our country's best interest economically to have available a healthy workforce.

I agree with this part.

Boatwrench said:

You may have a more convincing arguement, if you can provide the name of 1 government-run program that functions efficiently and is better than a like program, run by a private entity.

XJEEPER said:
You may have a more convincing arguement, if you can provide the name of 1 government-run program that functions efficiently and is better than a like program, run by a private entity.

US Coast Guard.

How about two: US Public Health Service

How about three: NASA

Yes most government run programs have the potential to become bloated bureaucratic nightmares. I don't even care if it is privatized ala the military's Tri-Care medical for dependents, but let's take care of our fellow countrymen.

JohnJohn said:
Please the name publicly run entity that corresponds to each?

Ok maybe I didn't undersatnd the question. I listed efficiently run government agencies that do not necessarily have a private run competitor like the post office who has UPS/FedEx/DHL.

Is CDC private or Government?

XJEEPER said:
You may have a more convincing argument, if you can provide the name of 1 government-run program that functions efficiently and is better than a like program, run by a private entity.

Seems clear...?

If examples are to be posted by your rules...then Congress would qualify. :wave1:

If all government agencies were run like the Post Office I would be more likely to be a liberal. However I doubt nurses in a government run health care system will be "going postal" on their doctors for coming down hard on them for inefficient work. :D

Boatwrench said:
I agree we have problems with health care, namely the affordibility of it.

Historically, our government is incapable of efficiently and effectively running programs. Is it impossible? No, but it's still a major hurdle to overcome.

The second issue. How do we overcome the problems of socialized medicine? It's no joke when people must wait weeks, even months, for necessary surgery. I'm also not crazy with the idea of some bureaucrat denying the authorization for a procedure because it costs too much, despite the expert opinion of a doctor. Yes, I know that some of this happens now, but it will only get much worse if we institute socialized medicine like any of the current systems in use today.

Back