• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MA the worst state for anything lifted

BAC478

NAXJA Forum User
After about 4 weeks of being told to go home as soon as I pulled into to any inspection station I finally got the jeep a fresh MA inspection sticker. Ended up going back to stock tires and buying 4.5" coils and making the smallest shackles I could fit (with work materials and on the clock ;)) just to get under height. Then when I finally made it to the insp. station the owner wasnt there and the old guy doing inspection didnt even check my height.

Some things i learned on my 4 week adventure:
1. Max height by the new MA state law is 25" to the bottom of the driver side door measured in the middle of the door.
2. With an 8" lift I measured 27" to the door on fully inflated stock tires and looked like a clown car.
3. As of Oct. 1st 2008 all MA inspection stations have cameras installed that videotape the inspection so nobody can screw around. I have heard that these are dummy cameras though but I dont know.
4. Your best bet is to go on Saturday because typically the owners arent at the gas/inspection stations and the other guys usually dont care because they arent the ones getting fined.
5. If you run an "orange" light in your XJ with an 8" lift and stock tires the statey will not only hit you with a $250 ticket (more if he didnt run out of room to write down violations) but he will laugh at how stupid you look while he is doing it.

Just a heads up for you other massholes

I had a problem getting my jeep inspected when I put on my 4" lift with stock tires about 3 years ago. I went to about 3 shops and each one told me that they would give me a fail because of my lift just from looking at my Jeep. Luckily I had a relative that was good friends with a guy that owns a shop that does inspections.

Amherst/Hadley area and still had problems. I know a bunch of people that could have helped me out but said their hands were tied since the new inspection rules Oct. 1st. Never really thought it was going to be such a pain in the ass.

Amherst/Hadley area and still had problems. I know a bunch of people that could have helped me out but said their hands were tied since the new inspection rules Oct. 1st. Never really thought it was going to be such a pain in the ass.

had amazing luck in holyoke. the shop that does the stickers for endangered.

Ya called up the guy at endangered and asked him where they go. When I told him it was an XJ with 8" lift he was like I have no idea where you are gonna get that inspected.

i've seen your jeep, it's cool to finally hear from the owner. i posted in the spotted thread a few times:cheers:... you live near the burned down bank of america, right?

at any rate, i had good luck at the firestone on king st in noho. ask for jeff. he said he has a few xjs he's working on. kind of an idiot but he passed my rust and fenderflarelessness. any one else there, and you're screwed though

Last edited:
Ya I live a little farther down on Rt. 9 (Belchertown Road) near maplewood farm. I know the guy Jay at Firestone through a friend. Hes the one that told me about the Oct. 1st stuff and said he would have passed it in a heartbeat but he already got screwed cuz of the cameras or something. I talked to that kid Jeff too and he said he would pass it if I just got it under height. This was before I swapped the coils for the 4.5's. Their machine was down when I went back so I just went to the Sunoco near my house.

Where have you seen my jeep? Did I see yours at that white house near rafters/golds? I cant tell from your picture but it looks familiar

Last edited:
4. Your best bet is to go on Saturday because typically the owners arent at the gas/inspection stations and the other guys usually dont care because they arent the ones getting fined.

this actually inst true...... the responsibility to comply with the regulations lies on the shoulders of the inspector as much if not MORE than the business owner. i know of 3 different inspectors who had to go to hearings in front of a court magistrate to answer for passing under-cover cops...

Ya I live a little farther down on Rt. 9 (Belchertown Road) near maplewood farm. I know the guy Jay at Firestone through a friend. Hes the one that told me about the Oct. 1st stuff and said he would have passed it in a heartbeat but he already got screwed cuz of the cameras or something. I talked to that kid Jeff too and he said he would pass it if I just got it under height. This was before I swapped the coils for the 4.5's. Their machine was down when I went back so I just went to the Sunoco near my house.

Where have you seen my jeep? Did I see yours at that white house near rafters/golds? I cant tell from your picture but it looks familiar

yeah i lived there over the summer. i've seen yours driving around town. i'm a senior at umass, so i've been in the area for a few years now.

As a Californian I rarely get to say this so sorry for the hating...

Your state sucks. :D
I live with a kid that grew up in CA and he says the same thing, always complaining about how we drive around here....

Didnt know that the inspectors were liable for the fine. Just cuz the owner I talked to made it sound like he got hit with the fine instead. Makes more sense that the actual guy inspecting would though.

I thought it was 24 inches and the 25 was with the added inch? Maybe im wrong thats just what the guy at firestone told me was 25 inches max.

kinda off topic but i went by endangered species just to see what it was about...i thought i was gonna get jacked that area looks pretty ghetto,

3. As of Oct. 1st 2008 all MA inspection stations have cameras installed that videotape the inspection so nobody can screw around. I have heard that these are dummy cameras though but I dont know.

No wonder they call it Taxachusetts.

Back