• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LP dana 30, Keep it or swap it?

when mine broke, just the pins in the locker were damaged. i got a spring and pin kit for a few bucks and repaired it.

$120 for a used truetrac in my 30 :)

Not a locker per se but it snows in CO, and tap the brake, and you gots traction again!

have to replace the carrier anyway. kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Damn, all these built to shit rigs and there are no pics of em wheeling, just web wheeling the crap out of impossible prices. (not saying no one wheels. Just seems its 1/300 threads are about wheeling, the rest are about e-penis')

What size tire do you run now? Have you broken anything? How do you wheel? Heavy throttle? Find a line and ease through? Mud? What do you want to wheel? How much money do you have?

All of that you need to answer to yourself. Can a LP non trussed 30 with 4.88's last on 35's? Sure, few friends are doing it locked and running pretty good trails. They just dont beat the crap out of it. Other guys break built to hell D44's with the same size tire. Just because they wheel like ass.

Make a decision. Try it. Wheel smart. and change the things that dont work.
Bet most people on here would never know if someone came out in the middle of the night and swapped their HP for a LP.

yea, you're right, i never wheel :gee:

OP:
maybe pm souske or calixj, they both wheel pretty well and with 33's and dana 30's. Both local so they wheel exactly where i wheel and where you'll probably wheel and can probably offer advice.
Souske might even have an axle for you already locked, trussed, with chromoly shafts, and 4.10's. it's still in his jeep, but i think he's swapping it soon.

I'm in the same situation don't think I will ever go over 33 I have lp30 and getting ready for chromoly arb and 456 new ball joints and bearings. With 6.5 bds am I ok with the lp or should I look for hp before I upgrade parts?

I'm in the same situation don't think I will ever go over 33 I have lp30 and getting ready for chromoly arb and 456 new ball joints and bearings. With 6.5 bds am I ok with the lp or should I look for hp before I upgrade parts?

I wouldnt. With my Hp30 after going to 4:56s and 33s I got really bad drive shaft vibrations due to the drive shaft spinning faster, the vibs were there before but at a much higher speed, I had none up to 75-80. So to fix it I had to adjust caster to fix drive shaft angles which leads to more wondering on the highway.

So what Im saying is that if your starting with a LP30 you will get vibes even sooner then a HP30 well unless you dont got faster then 60 MPH or you drop another 1k + on a hub conversion.

There is nothing wrong with the LP D30 for most wheeling. I see a lot of folks swapping to a HP, but in reality, unless you are seriously looking for a bit of ground clearance for the front u-joint, you are wasting your time.

I have a 01 XJ with 5.5" lift and 4.56's on 33s, no vibration issues. The axle is lunchbox locked. No Trusses, no issues.

Also have a LJ with 4.5" of lift with 3.73's on 33s, also no issues.

If you feel you need a D40 or a D60, just do it and skip the middle steps of buying aftermarket axle shafts, and eventually trussing it.

The difference is all about how you drive. I haven't broken a shaft in some number of years because I drive like I want to drive it home again... and I do.

Back