• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering jeep?

LyferXB9S

NAXJA Forum User
After having my lifted XJ for a while and hurting my back in 2012 I have dicided to lower my 4x4 so I can get in and out easily but still have my beloved jeep. Any tips on lowering the front?

Other than clipping the springs, not much can be done. And then, the front driveshaft will be getting very intimate with the exhaust... Two wheel drive XJs can be lowered in front by cutting the axle. The same way we did way beck when on the Street Rods that had solid front axles.

To this day, I do not understand why Jeep did not use a passenger side drop axle. It would have made everything easier from the driveshaft clearances to the exhaust routing...

What size lift is on it now? What type of lift?

An expensive but interesting solution would be to put airbags in the suspension, with switches to lower or,"kneel" for entry/exit, then lift it back up for driving it. You could even have more than 2 different positions. A 3rd higher setting for off roading. I've considered this option to make it easier for My elderly parents to enter/exit My Jeep, but it wasn't practical for me.

Aftermarket stock, non sagged springs. If you want to go that low?

To be honest, I think stock coils, shocks and leafs are your best option. Lowering it 2 inches is very close to stock anyway, and depending on how old the lift is it's probably sitting at around 2" higher than stock now.

So you are looking for about 5" of drop from where you are now?

If the Zone lift included complete rear springs, I would consider going spring-under in the back and putting stock TJ coils springs in the front. That would drop you about 4" - 5".

ZJ rear coils up front supposedly provide 2" of drop from stock height. I have a set on my shelf I've considered throwing on my MJ, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

That sounds like it may work. I am going to remove the AAL and one more leaf in the back( I have adjustable helper bags) and see what will even the front with the back.

Back