• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Rad Hose Springs

Jay VT said:
NAPA sells springs seperate now. If they don't have any clue ask them to call their heating and cooling rep.

My NAPA dealer thinks I'm crazy(which I am) but if anyone can find a part number for the spring I would like to show it to my NAPA guy.

If you have O'Reilly Automotive in your area their lower hose comes with the spring in it. I put it in today along with a ton of cooling stuff. If not then their online store has the hose available.
-Will

wkfrst said:
If you have O'Reilly Automotive in your area their lower hose comes with the spring in it. I put it in today along with a ton of cooling stuff. If not then their online store has the hose available.
-Will
I just picked one up from O'Reilly's. They have about 4, or more, lower rad hoses in their online catalog. I assumed the spring would be in the higher priced Gates line but, it wasn't. The spring was in the lower priced "Armor" something or other. I'm such a regular there that I've gotten hats, shirts, have been offered a job and get a 10% discount. They pulled the spring from the cheaper brand and tossed it in the Gates hose for me!

Thanks for the info wkfrst!!!!:smootch:

I went all over and could not find a place that had a lower hose spring available for sale seperate, or along with a new hose.

So I'm running without one still. Have been for a year without problems. So it's fine. Dealership even didn't have a spring in the lower hose. Said the new construction of the hoses made it unnecessary.

Maybe the cheaper hoses are weaker in that when the engine is cool and not under pressure they will collapse?

I wouldn't understand the extra cost of the spring making a weaker hose cheaper tho. Oh well..

OEM hoses used to come with springs.

I went to Advance Auto and the manager said he hasn't seen a spring in a hose for 15 or 20 years. At least the ones they carry!

Last year I bought a pair of hoses from AutoZone. They were made by AC Delco....no spring. I asked AC Delco why there was no spring and they said the new construction of the hoses no longer required the spring to be inside.

Like I said I haven't had a problem. The old hoses that were in my Jeep didn't have a spring either.

j33pownr said:
Do you have an aftermarket tranny cooler?

If not i think it could be the tranny getting hot from the extra load from the sand which causes extra heat dump into the radiator. Then when it cools off your good to go again.

I agree completely with this one-- the torque converter is the single largest heat producer and 4500rpm with limited airflow (low speed) will create a pantload of excess heat. Ensure the electric fan works and the fan clutch is up to snuff if yer gonna run the dunes!

--Shorty

Back