• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low flying aircraft

Pima Air Museum and that boneyard are a few minutes from my house. Pretty cool to drive along and see that stuff, especially the SR-71.

I dont think I'll get tired of seeing the planes come in low over my jobsite either, and especially not when the planes look like they are about to land on your car when you are driving down the parkway.

Fergie

kubtastic said:
Well, I'll go over to the museum and check it out.
Snap a pic of the XB-70 for me. Probably the coolest plane ever concieved by man! Mach 3 Bomber!

757px-North_American_XB-70_in_Flight_EC68-2131.jpg

kubtastic said:
That's really funny!

Fergie said:
Pima Air Museum and that boneyard are a few minutes from my house. Pretty cool to drive along and see that stuff, especially the SR-71.
I also toured the Pima Musuem when I was down there. Probably one of the best air musuems in the world! It was incredible to see a B-17 and a B-29 in the same place.

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
It looks like a C5 to me. Because of their size they seem to be flying much lower than they really are. Also, much slower.

IntrepidXJ said:
looks normal to me.....but i live by O'hare ;)

Ditto, but I live 15 min. from Dupage Airport (and work alot closer), a large rail yard (even closer to the intersecting tracks), several "industrial/business parks", 2 blocks from a fairly important n/s 4 lane highway, and an ever increasing number of sub-divisions:shiver: in the armpit of DuPage County, so it's a little loud at times.

The Martinsburg ANG unit is switching from C-130s to C5s, That's not too far south from York. I dunno if they've starting getting the jets in yet though.

BSD said:
WHy do they keep the old planes? WHy not scrap them out? It would seem like storage could get expensive.
BSD

The place is better known to military guys as the "Bone Yard". We keep the old aircraft for yes, WWIII, but also when planes are deemed "out of service life" or have reached their flight hours limit, they are sent there. That doesn't mean that the aircraft are in bad shape or that they are broken...far from it. They have to be serviced and pretty much put through phase (maintenance that is similar to changing oil, u-joints, timing belts, adjusting valves, crap like that in jeeps) before they are sent to the Bone Yard. Often enough, we are pulling planes out of the Bone Yard and re-entering them into service because we need them. Much cheeper than buying a whole new aircraft and it also gives us a place where we can pull hard to find parts or parts that are not made any longer. Its pretty much a military pick and pull. Sometimes aircraft are auctioned out of there and companies like Heavy Lift Inc. buys aircraft for civilian use. Pretty nifty if you ever decide to read up on it.

I can tell, but the body shape and the short wing span, says it a C5. the body length to long for a C17 and C141 would be leaving nice long black exhaust trails, sorta like a H2 I saw the other day.
By the way the Aircraft that sit out in the bone yards will be there for the next 50 to 60 years, They will eventually get to the chopping block and melted down Who knows they might end up as aluminum engine heads or alternator body’s, water pumps, thermostat housings. As for use in WWIII it would be over before any of those AC could be ready to fly.
The XB-70 was a cool AC, only 2 built, One was a victim of an air to air accident while undergoing testing over the Mojave. I believe the other was retired not long after and is now at the Smithsonian awaiting rebuilding.

moneypitxj said:
i went outside this morning and a few minutes later i here a screaming engine.
more like 4 screaming engins.this i what i seen. does i seem low to anyone else and i dont live near any airports.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/pf5c4ea65525c02dcebe09abdf5ce8788/eea3142d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p2a72943e62a42fd110a8f44d18df9d21/eea313f0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid207/p0cc25ade836b97a05ff2e9d63724fbf3/eea3133a.jpg

Relax, it looks like your money at work ;)

I live 7 air miles from the nearest airport. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am also near the ILS for RW 36 and in class E airspace just outside the 5mi radius of the inverted "Cake". That means I get everything from Cessna 152s that are trying not to talk to MSN to heavies that are lining up for the ILS. I even have the pleasure of watching a Medflight fly over 2-3 times (or more...) a day in even the nastiest weather (Helis are cool!).

When I lived near the airport, I heard a low growl and the garage got dark. I went out and looked up and all I could see was the belly of a Herc. Talk about "Aluminum overcast" ;) I felt as though I could have touched it, I could just about make out every rivet.
Turns out there was an airshow, the AF puts them on every once and again, and it was the next day.

F16's make regular sorties around here. I was visiting my Mom on the East side recently, and as a kid I remember there being a lot of fighter and A-10 trafic (the dishes would rattle every morning like clockwork), but there is nothing like the sound of a F-16 flying at 1,500ft and opening the gate over your house :D

I work the Flight line at night at our local field, gets boring sometimes but we see everything from Champs and Cubs to Gulfstream IVs and Falcon 900s and of course the Medevac service has a Bell 412 they fly all the time.

nothing quite like feeling the thump of a huey in your chest

XJ88User said:
I's a whole lot better then waking up to a FB-111 doing a run up out side your dorm at 0600.
I've always thought the Aardvark was a sexy looking airplane. Plagued it's whole life by various operational and political issues, but damn cool nonetheless.

He must have had mexican last the night before:
F-111-db.jpg

fb-111.gif

-----Matt-----

Ramsey said:
nothing quite like feeling the thump of a huey in your chest

Or the feeling of a shitter! Or a shitter rocking you to sleep on the flight back after a long day of externals. Or the feeling of the XM-218 firing out the windows.

Bell 412 has 4 blades so no "thump", more of a purrrrrrr.
bell412.jpg

now a bell 214st......is a fawkin beast!

214ST_on_Deck.jpg

I've flown on this particular one a few times, dubbed "big AL" by the crews.

now that I have posted, this thread is doomed for sure

oh and it's a C-5 and not low at all.

MrsGoodburbon said:
Bell 412 has 4 blades so no "thump", more of a purrrrrrr.

now a bell 214st......is a fawkin beast!

I've flown on this particular one a few times, dubbed "big AL" by the crews.

now that I have posted, this thread is doomed for sure

oh and it's a C-5 and not low at all.

OH great, now you've got it started! Shitters (Ch-53E Super Stallions) have 7 main rotor blades and 4 tail, so you can imagine it's purr really sounds more like rolling thunder. Now, this is a helicopter......
ch53-061rs.jpg

"A CH-53E heavy lift helicopter flown by pilots from Marine Helicopter Training Squadron-302, Marine Corps Air Station New River, North Carolina, lifts a 23,000-pound M-113 armored personnel carrier during recent target replacement efforts on Range K-2. The target placement improved the ranges and provided the opportunity for combat-related training."
ch53_1.jpg

asupsta01.jpg

AIR_CH-53E_Cobra_Gold_2002_lg.jpg

and to top it all off, a bad assed video of my buds over in Djbouti, Africa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAauF1_NgQ0

Back