• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of road feel with Hydro Assist

Cutting down the flow would be tricky. Like I said, if you shut down both sides, the ram is locked. The sensitivity is the problem at low flow situations. Cutting it down enough to help the sensitivity would almost lock up the cylinder. You would have to take 30 seconds to go from lock to lock.

A bypass on the ram does not work either since the volumes are different on the different sides of the ram due to the area displaced by the rod.

You might get away with one on the pressure supply side, but it might be a bit tough on the pump.

Taking off pressure fittings and putting them on a couple of times a week is not an option. They simply would not last, not to mention the hassle.

I agree, removing flow completely will lock the cylinder up. I shredded a serp belt and had to unbolt one side of the cylinder to even have a chance at strong arm steering it. These valves would be permanent, you can completely open them up, or dial them down to your needed pressure. I think they are good for like 25 gpm's. If you slowly turned them down there might be a g-spot where they'd work just right....

Replace the ram with a non-differential cylinder, then the volume would be the same from side to side.
http://www.edgeroamer.com/sweethaven/mechanics/hydraulics01/default.asp?iNum=0401

In theory that is good but the design we use has the ram body fixed to the axle and there is no way to run the rod out both ends. You can go with a setup where the ram is connected more like a rack and pinion, but that is a ton more work.

What I am working on is a variation on the old vari-cam setup. It would require a v-belt for the power steering. Centrifugal force would be used to control the spacing between the sides of the v-pulley, similar to what was used on snowmobiles, with the difference that the pulley would be small at low rpm's and large at high rpm's

In theory that is good but the design we use has the ram body fixed to the axle and there is no way to run the rod out both ends.

Oh, you mean like this?

DSC_0043.jpg

Back