• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to get into ham radio--lil help?

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I need a way to talk by radio between two points (home and work) that are 30 miles away from each other, in mostly urban/suburban territory. They need to be portable either by hand or a unit I can install in my car. CB won't get it because range. I'm looking at either a ham setup or SSB. My Jeep CB has SSB capability but I'm not finding good info on range or whether you need a license for that. This is for basically disaster preparedness for my family. If there are any amateur radio enthusiasts who can guide me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Chris

Ok, I need a way to talk by radio between two points (home and work) that are 30 miles away from each other, in mostly urban/suburban territory. They need to be portable either by hand or a unit I can install in my car. CB won't get it because range. I'm looking at either a ham setup or SSB. My Jeep CB has SSB capability but I'm not finding good info on range or whether you need a license for that. This is for basically disaster preparedness for my family. If there are any amateur radio enthusiasts who can guide me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Chris

No licence needed for SSB. I don't have a lot of experiece using SSB. But, it is my understanding that it is best used as a 'beyond horizon' radio. lots of good info on simonthewizzard and cbradiomagazine websites. Simon is in Europe where they have better radios. But, his info is still good.

Not knowing exactly where you are, but having a vague notion that Colorado just might have some high mounds of dirt which might get in the way between points A and B, I am going to suggest that you try and figure out if there are good options for repeaters between your work and home.

To that end let me recommend you spend some time on this site: https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=08

You can look at repeaters by your city as well as by highway. Hopefully you know the names of the mountains in your area, but if not Google Maps can find them for you. Basically what you are looking for is a repeater on a mountain that is more or less line of sight between your two locations. If you can find such a repeater then that is what you want to get the capability to use.

The 2 meter and 70 cm bands are your most likely candidates and a technician license (entry level) will meet the requirements for use of those bands. There are plenty of dual band (2m/70cm) handheld radios out there. A $30 Baofeng UV-5R will do the job. Or you can move up the food chain to something like a Yaesu FT-60R. Whatever you get, if it is for emergency use, make sure you have an alternate way to power up the radio. In other words, don't depend only on its rechargeable battery. Have a way to plug it into a cigarette lighter, or perhaps an adapter pack to run it off AA batteries.

As far as getting your license, there are free on-line study sites that will allow you to take as many sample tests as you like using actual questions from the test pool. That will get you a license, but it will not teach you much about actual use of your gear. If you can find some local resources (whatever repeater you may want to use probably belongs to an association that would be happy to help you learn how to properly use their equipment) that will be your best bet to get a practical education. Alternatively check out some books from your local library.

That is what comes to mind off the top of my head. I may think of more.

Sorry, I see I've neglected to update my profile. I'm a bit north of Seattle now.

I've seen appealing radios from both Baofeng and Yaesu, so looks like I'm on the right track. I'll come back after I walk the dog and do some more reading.

Thanks,

Chris

Anak has given some great information.

If it were me and this was for disaster preparedness I would also look at mobile radios. In a disaster there is a chance you may bug out and if you don't have the repeaters programmed for the area you are bugging too your little radio won't get you very far. Even if you do have all the appropriate repeaters programmed they may be congested with other hams providing disaster support or also trying to keep in contact with others in which case simplex would be the way to go. Not sure given the terrain if simplex would be possible over 30 miles. I would rather have a mobile with a good vehicle mounted antenna than a handheld any day.

I understand you have to start somewhere. I started with an HT (handy talkie) but after struggling to reach the nearest repeater from my house I quickly realized I needed something better. A HT in the vehicle with an external antenna will work better than the HT alone, but you are still limited to 4-8 watts unless you get an external amp but at that point you would be better off with a mobile radio anyways.

Some mobile radios come with cross band repeat. Which is useful when outside of the vehicle. You are hiking around with your HT, you talk from the HT to the radio in the vehicle, it then re-transmits your signal at a higher power from the vehicle. So if you and someone else were both away from the vehicle with HTs you would use the vehicle as your personal repeater, or you could use the vehicle radio to help your HT get into a local repeater.

Also this weekend is the largest North American ham radio event, called Field Day.
Individuals or Groups/Clubs set up ham stations on emergency power and operate for 24 hrs making as many contacts as possible. It simulates a large scale disaster and the ability to set up in adverse conditions and pass traffic.

There are almost 30 Field Day sites around Seattle that you could stop at.
Go here: http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator
CLick on "List by State/Province"
Select Washington
Select any station listed in the box below the states and it will take you to a Washington map showing the stations. You can click on the Pin to get specific location info.

First "you" will NEVER get 30 miles range using a hand-talkie or mobile, without a repeater unless you are sitting atop a mountain. Second for you to have the "family" using HAM frequency they will have to be licensed as well, and the family usually puts that idea right up there with cleaning out the attic. Thirdly it really is a skill that if you don't use it you will forget what frequency's or channels to use, proper etiquette, not to mention how to operate the dam thing, is it charged, hell does it even work after not being used in 3 years.

Honestly if you have to have electronic based coms, I would tell you to look at the DeLorme inReach Explorer, it's 2way text via satellite. Barring the government shutting down the sats, you should be able to reach each other when all the phone lines and cell towers are overloaded, and amateur repeaters are either A) activated as a net and communications are limited to ecom (no idle chit chat) or B) FCC bars communication on most frequency's except for their approved state/federal agencies or organizations.

NOTHING beats a good "preplan":
1) meet at home.
2) meet at someones house in the next city.
2) meet at preplanned location between 2 & 4 hours away.

Its easier to grill the family while driving, by posing scenarios and then ask everyone what they would do, then come to a group answer. Just going over these simple things when driving down the road on occasion (especially when big stuff hits the news) gets their gears turning and thinking about those what if scenarios for themselves.

I started doing that years ago with my daughter and girlfriend and they can pretty much tell you where "I" would go depending on the situation. The idea is to get them thinking not only what "they" should do, but what would the "YOU" do? You are their leader and they only have 2 options 1) stay in place and wait for you or 2) move to where you will be. You probably already know 3 different places "you" would bail out too, its time to let the family know too.

I'm not bashing Ham radio by any means (I've have my ticket), it can just be one more thing for the under trained to have to deal with in a stressful situation.

Thanks!

Chris

As stated, no license for CB (The "SSB" you refer to is also CB).Hasn't been a CB license issued since the late 70's. When CB was popular, there was an organization that did Emergency communication drills, but for the most part they have disbanded. The problem with mobile CB is that it is only good locally for 5-10 miles at most, and if skip comes in, even less.

FRS/GRMS is an option. Using GMRS Frequencies requires a license and last one I got was $70. It is good for the Family, not just you. And there are Repeaters run by private clubs, though most bubble pack radios will not be able to use repeaters. Use of FRS radios is license free, but you aren't going to talk much further than down 2 city blocks.

Amateur Radio is another option: There are active Weather spotter networks, and AREAS (Emergency Communication) organizations all over the world.
Communication is not limited to one band or 2 modes. There are voice modes, digital modes (Including good old Morse code). There are a number of bands to choose from from just below the AM Band up to the Microwave range. Privileges are allotted by License Type. Even the starter license (Technician) offers a host of communication options.

As Sulfer noted, Operators on Both ends must be licensed. If you have Scouts in the brood, it's worth a merit badge :)

If you are interested, I recommend getting started here >>> http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

FWIW, I use my Baofeng UV5R while biking to work. When I link though the local repeater (which is about 5 air miles from the bike path), I can easily talk 30 miles. It's all about antenna, propagation, and Mode. For example: On the 7mhz band, I can easily communicate over hundreds of miles on less than a watt using Morse Code.
If you want to do a Home/Base Operation on VHF or UHF, you're either looking at using a Repeater...
Or using higher power radios; At home, a tower with a really decent antenna. And on the Mobile end, a higher power radio and a really decent 5/8 wave antenna.

Depending on the level of preparedness that you want to achieve, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Having a FRS/GMRS radio has saved more than a few hikers, CB has it's merits on the road, and Amateur Radio has it's own pluses (along with being a good hobby).

And keep a smart phone around. They are little miracles! We used one to call the Sheriff to ask for a Tow off the local lake when the motor went kaput (big boat).

If you have any Amateur Radio Q's feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited:
Get your technicians license. Buy a quality high watt 2M radio and antenna and be done with it. There is virtually no where on this continent that you can go and NOT be in contact with someone if you have a 65Watt plus 2M radio. Its like having a winch while rock crawling. It gives you peace of mind while out in the wilderness.

Even if its for a small emergency. Good asset to have.

I got my Amateur ticket (Technicians & General) a little over a year ago. Its been a ton of fun. Chatting on repeaters with the regulars, doing long range FM contesting from mountain tops where my XJ can get me http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1126381 , field day events and competing in HF, UHF, microwave contests as part of a team. Its all good. Great people too. Very helpful always willing to teach and assist the newbie, much like the off road world.

Suggestions.
If you have a technical background use http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/ to study. In a few evenings you will be ready to take the Technicians exam.
Get a good hand held to start. You can carry it anywhere and as long as you have line of sight you have comms. I like the Yaesu FT-60. I added a multi band FM mobile rig to my XJ after a few months but I travel with my hand held and use it frequently.
Antenna gain means more than power. Its the dB's not the watts. Get a good whip for the hand held and add a tiger tail (google it) to complete the dipole.
On FM LOS rules. You live in a mountainous area, lots of good repeaters and you will have great simplex (no repeater used) range when up high.

John

Thanks all, for the help so far.

I ended up going with some BaoFeng HT's. UV-5R V2 Plus. I upgraded the pair with some longer antennas and I also bought a Uniden handheld scanner and a better antenna for that, as well. Got the ARRL study guide for Technician Class, too. The radios all came pretty highly spoken of in Amazon reviews and in various radio forums, so it seemed a fairly bulletproof investment.

The scanner and the HTs are regularly pulling down signals from repeaters as far away as Yakima. I'm north of Seattle about 1/2 hour, as I mentioned. I also hear regularly from as far north as Mt. Vernon and as far south as Olympia. I've been pretty impressed. I know it's unlikely I'll be able to transmit that far, however, since I've only spent about $200 so far, including the ARRL study guide, it's worth it even if I don't get max performance. At least it's a start. Just being able to hear means information, at least, even if you can't talk.

My wife and I are working on our Technician licenses. The plan is to keep one HT in each car with printed pages of repeater frequencies for the state, and common freqs for various services. Since she works in Bellevue and I'm mostly home this means each of us will have another option to communicate. The car and my Jeep both have CB's, as well.

We'll be moving yet again in September, to our new house. I'm looking at something more powerful to keep there, and as I'll be on the HOA board, should be a good opportunity to get a decent antenna up. It's been fun so far, discovering what amateur radio can afford you. Pretty interesting.

Thanks again for all the comments.

--Chris

Back