• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to buy a townhouse

XJMK

aka boredchimp
So I'm looking to buy my first place, and found some that look pretty nice, and affordable. Zero down, $450 a month, three bedroom, 2 bath with garage.

I'm going there tomorrow to get some more details on it, and Ive got a few questions of my own I want to ask. Just wondering what some of you seasoned home owners would've wished you knew about this whole thing before you got started.

I guess I was spoiled by having a big room growing up and now living in a 9 1/2' by 10 1/2' room is really uncomfortable. Plus I need a garage! TIA

Ask if there's a HOA, and if so, what the covenants look like. If you've got a modifled XJ, you may not like the answers.

Lawn Cher' said:

mow yer own lawn, plow yer own snow, park yer POS in your POS driveway. check the neighborhood. be sure your the scariest one there. Then you'll sleep good. just my .02

...BOB

I'm wondering about the association, too. I work at Menards and people come in needing a very specific door in a specific color bc of their association. I told myself that I would never want to live somewhere that I'd have to pay to have someone tell me what to do with my place.

As for the single fam places, I like the fact that these are brand new buildings with (from what the website says) high end, energy efficient appliances. I don't want to be buying someone elses problems (I'm not sure about all the disclosure laws).

I also heard that townhouses don't have a great resale value?

Realistically, I won't be getting into anything for 6+ months, so I can look around and find something I like.

Thanks for all the input guys! :wave:

Find a place you can piss in the backyard without the neighbors calling the cops. JIM.

Chimp, You live in Dekalb, MOVE!
I don't know how strong your roots are there, but, MOVE!
Go west or north, There are still good buys in Eastern Ogle and North Western Dekalb Counties.
Take a big plunge, go farther west,
Past Rochelle.
Get an I-pass, hopp on the toll road and your commute will be nothing.
You can get a farmette "out there" for what you would pay for one of those monstosities they are building north of the college.

Past Rochelle? Well, that would put me closer to the Dirty Thirty. I was trying to keep the commute down cuz the parking here sucks.

Stopped by the townhouses, and we (my gf and I) make too much money to get the deal they're offering. They said $1350+, which kinda puts them in the same boat as buying a house, I guess.

The biggest draw to these townhouses was the $450/month payment, but now that its out the window, I should start looking elsewhere.

I guess these DeKalb prices look good to me bc I'm used to Waukegan/Gurnee pricing. The wooded lot next to my parents house is going for $97,000.

You can do anything you want when altering the interior and living space of a townhome. For the exterior and common areas, you have to get permission or make any structural changes (PITA) and do have to match the rest of the community when it comes to exterior paint, walkways, etc.

Townhomes are good if you can't afford a SFH. We purchased a townhome (end-unit) and yea the HOAs are retarded. We pay $242 per month for HOA and you can't really tell them how to spend the money unless you are on the HOA board. In order to make any progressive changes to HOA fees, you have to have a quorum usually and most of the other residents dont do dick to get involved.

If you can afford it, buy SFH. Find a good property inspector. Find a good realtor who is a buying agent for YOU (IE: not affiliated with the seller in anyway).

There are tons of advice I could give but I could be here all day. and i need to get back to work... :)

Get a Home Inspection.I am a licensed Home Inspector and you wouldn't believe the things you don't see, foundation issues, C.O hazards, electrical hazards and so on.

boredchimp said:
...Dirty Thirty...
You mean a thirty min. comute?
Might as well stay in town...
I drive 30 miles and my wife drives 40 mins to work every day.

You need to expand your horizons.....
I can buy you a whole place for $97,000!
I drove from Durand to Milwaukee everyday, 75 min each way, big deal.
A comute is nothing.

Whatever you do, I would stay away from a townhouse at all costs

Last edited:
Back