• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking good roads near Cherokee County

bline

NAXJA Forum User
I'm visiting South Carolina for a week and I'm looking for somewhere near Cherokee county to do some trail riding. Nothing extreme, just want to take the family out to kill some time. I found Horse Pasture in Jocassee Gorges but it's a little further than I wanted to drive. Thanks!

Horse Pasture road is nothing more than gravel roads. I guess that's what you're looking for?

This is what you'll find at the very end of Horse Pasture road:

DSCF7696-2.jpg

and this is the overlook on the side of the road. (Jumping off Rock)

2012-05-05114903-1.jpg

and this waterfall isn't far away. This is Triple Falls right up the road.

DSC_3694edit.jpg

Horse Pasture road is nothing more than gravel roads. I guess that's what you're looking for?

This is what you'll find at the very end of Horse Pasture road:

DSCF7696-2.jpg

and this is the overlook on the side of the road. (Jumping off Rock)

2012-05-05114903-1.jpg

and this waterfall isn't far away. This is Triple Falls right up the road.

DSC_3694edit.jpg

I will take Greenie out there some day.

But in Cherokee County there's tons of USFS roads.

There's a map at this link.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/?recid=48634&actid=30

If you get real froggy you could drive 4 hours over to Uwharrie and spend the day on some trails.

This man is a good source of info for that part of the State. There is also another USFS park over there in North Georgia but I cannot recall the name. When will you be here?

I'm visiting South Carolina for a week and I'm looking for somewhere near Cherokee county to do some trail riding. Nothing extreme, just want to take the family out to kill some time. I found Horse Pasture in Jocassee Gorges but it's a little further than I wanted to drive. Thanks!

Actually, Uwharrie is only 2 hours from Cherokee County, SC.

I originally read Cherokee, NC.

Beasleys Knob OHV Trails is what I was thinking of.

I think horsepasture and musterground rd are both still seasonal, but had heard horsepasture may become year round due to its popularity.

Beasley Knob isn't a place to go for easy trail riding. It's not extreme, but it is all very steep and very tight in some places. Expect body damage if you do all the trails. Plus it will close early this year (August I think) for some much needed trail improvements. Also add in the fact that if it rains any during the week it will be closed. You should check into Charlie's Creek in the Clayton area. It's a great, easy ride through the woods with a nice river crossing for good photo ops.

Back