• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for shock replacement advice

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my stock height 89 Cherokee. The last time I replaced the shocks was about 18 years ago. I've done some searching on the fourms and ended up more confused than when I started.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced shocks for someone who drives mainly on the road (i.e. looking for a nice ride) with 4 wheeling limited to logging roads and occasionally deep snow in the winter. I don't mind paying more for a shock that will last longer but don't really need premium 'off road' performance (if that makes a difference).

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks Rmart30.

PS: Should have mentioned that I'm also going to replace my steering stabilizer. Any thoughts on a replacment for that?

For a stock sized replacement shock, I recommend the Bilstein HD's (heavy duty) shocks.

The Monroes are cheap and might last a few years for you but once they wear out, you will only be in the market for new shocks again.

I have had my Bilstein HD's on my 98 XJ for close to 10 years now after replacing the OEM shocks at 15K miles and not only are they still working but they are even boosting my sagging rear leaf springs and keeping the back end of my XJ level.

You can get them for around $65. but you have to look at the long term in that they cost more up front but you won't have to replace them in the future either.

I have had Monroe Ultras on my XJ (3.5 lift) for 4 years, no complaints. Just put a set on the MJ (2" lift so far) too. $52 each, however, not that much more for the Bilsteins for something that will last long term. The Bilstein HD sound like a good candidate.

2nd vote for the bilsteins. GREAT shock for just a bit more than the regular "parts store crap". kyb makes a great steering stabilizer that can be found for pretty cheap. i think the part number is "ss10317", if i recall.

I vote on Fox emulsion shocks or the Fox OEM shocks, yes they're 135 a piece but you'll never buy another shock unless you break the body or rod. The shocks are rebuildable, and the seal kits are like 10 dollas a shock. Can't beat that with a stick. I had bilsteins rode great but needed some warranty work done on it, I sent it back to California to be reworked, and they told me I was outta luck:bs:. I asked them how about something towards a new shock like a few bucks off, and they told me sorry bout your luck bub, but in a much nicer way:moon::pirate1:. So now Fox shocks the way to go. Rebuildable and revalvable so if you don't like the ride you can change it for less than you can buy a cheapola shock.:attom:

Gabriel ultras should only run you about 30$ a piece.

Back