• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for my first jeep(and want a lift)

The axle under the jeep will work fine for 31's, and the SYE driveshaft will work with your axle. If you get a pre-'96 xj you probably won't need either an sye or a t-case drop, but you won't know till you lift it. If you are gonna keep it on the street, don't even worry about axles, save your money for some nice 4" backspaced wheels.

what size tires are stock on a cherokee, about 29-30"? and what about a long travel yoke(i saw one on rustys site) instead of a transfer case drop and a SYE?

The long travel yoke doesn't help with vibes at all, it just allows more movement of the joint.

Eagle said:
A few thoughts, Skihigh --

First, welcome to our forum. If some comments sound abrasive, it's because many of us have seen or heard similar ideas many times before and we don't want you to make an expensive mistake, and result in killing yourself and/or your best pal.

Lifts are not to be undertaken lightly or blindly. Your post doesn't say where you are from, but for starters I'll just point out that an 8" lift is going to be illegal in almost every state. That's not a problem for an older person ("old fart" to save you the trouble) like me, living in the boonies and maybe using the Jeep primarily for off-roading. If you live in an urban area, use it as your daily driver, and you're 17 years old, you may be handing a cop a ready-made excuse to throw the book at you next time he sees you roll through a stop sign.

The cost of lifting an XJ is exponential. That is, if a 2" lift costs $100 a 4" lift doesn't cost twice as much, it costs four times as much because now more things need to be changed. At 8", almost everything needs to be changed. I'm glad to see you're thinking more toward the 4" range -- that's a much saner, more affordable way to get started.

Why are you so fixated on a '96? There are advantages and disadvantages. '96 was the first year for OBD-2, so if that's important to you go for it. However, OBD-2 means two oxygen sensors in the exhaust rather than one, and it means no Jet chip to boost performance. Many people prefer the older OBD-1 models because the ECU can be tweaked.

The '96 still only has one air bag, so you get no advantage over a '95 on that score.

More important to someone who wants a lift, '96 was the first year of the new "improved" transfer case output shaft. Prior to '96 you could generally lift up to 4" or so without driveline vibration problems. Starting in '96, any lift at all usually results in major vibration problems.

Between the on-board doagnostics and the transfer case output designs, IMHO you will be better served by a '95 rather than a '96. JMHO
how come in the march 2003 issue of JP magazine it says in the cherokee timeline: 1994-OBD II diagnostics system added, you said 94 was the first year, so im going to look for a 94-95 cherokee, thanks

I would go Rustys if I were you. Its pretty much common knowledge that his springs and shocks are are soft rate/valved which lends to a nice road ride. Additionally his stuff is pretty cheap.
If you ever do decide to do some harder offroading, or decide to go up higher, you can reuse most of the components of the kit too.

Beezil said:
I'm "teched-out" at this point.....I can't do it anymore......I've lost the edge.......I've become.............a total........asshole!

"Become"?

Doesn't that imply that there was a time before a$$hole-ness?

SKIHIGH975 said:
how come in the march 2003 issue of JP magazine it says in the cherokee timeline: 1994-OBD II diagnostics system added, you said 94 was the first year, so im going to look for a 94-95 cherokee, thanks

I once worked for a man who often said "Everything you read in print is true ... unless you have first-hand knowledge of the facts."

I said '96 was the first year for OBD-2 and I stand by that statement unless/until MJR or one of the other Jeep professionals chimes in to tell me I'm wrong. IMHO JP magazine is almost as unreliable for tech information as JU.

BTW -- "stock" tire size has varied over the years. The early XJs generally had 205/75R15 or 215/75R15 tires. In the range you are looking at, the stock tires were usually 225/75R15. Without referring to a tire manufacturer's chart, I'd guess that's about a 28-1/2" tire.

SKIHIGH975 said:

They said it again. In the new issue, in discussing Cherokees in the "Top 10" article, they stated that '93 was the last year for OBD-1. The fact that they've said it twice doesn't make it correct (I only wish it were that easy to be correct ... sigh!).

This has been discussed before:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3879&highlight=OBD*

Last edited:
Rustysoffroad.com.....3inch lift 31's and no other suspension mods on my jeep and i dont have any problems. the lift is only 418.00+shipping

HAH 90 Prelude :D I have a 89 Si that needs a motor, which is a good thing cause that rascal got me two fierce speeding tix within 6 months after 7 years of none. It was a 'between Jeeps' thing and I still don't understand.

Personally I'd try to hunt down a 91-94 Pre-OBDII HO 4.0 that was original owner, original paint, low miles with service records, and 'never off-road'. The front door hinges are welded to the 'frame' and these welds are bad for cracking...unclear if this aree got reinforced in newer years?

I think a 3-4.5" kit with 31" will do you fine... I used Rustys 3" coils and 1.75" spacer, adj track bar and it worked great (even with stock control arms.)

No matter what lift brand & height you settle on, I'd advise spending $$$ on some armor and basic safety/recovery gear if off-road adventures are in the plans. Heres a quick list off the top of my head:

Tow points F & R
Rocker armor
T case skid
Fuel tank skid
1st Aid Kit
CB Radio with flexible antenna
Water, food,
Tarp, rope
Hi Lift and bottle jacks
3t Hand Winch
2 shackles, 2 snatch straps, tree-saver strap
Tool kit

The important thing is having fun and building your driving skills to suit the vehicle and the conditions. Before going to town on lifting & other mods, I'd also advise going through all the basic systems and correcting any weak spots.

why are you being such an ass briangibson, so what if im not offroading, i still have the right to buy a jeep and do whatever i want to it. and thank you Eagle for telling me the tires sizes and about the OBD. yea woody, i already settled on a RE 4.5" superflex kit for $870, hopefully the transfer case drop will be enough, do you guys think that my linkage will bind?

ok guys, i found a 2000 cherokee sport 4.0 4dr 4wd with 35K miles, if i get the RE 4.5" kit ($870) will i need a SYE, because you guys said that the newer jeep have steeper angles or something.

im not trying to be an ass
Im trying to tell you if your not going offroading that you are getting to involved. I even(if you checked your PM) tried to get you in touch with a guy who could help you with getting that lift at a better price.
In your case, you dont need a $870 lift kit that was developed for the offroad industry. Your getting to involved.
I 4wheel once a month and I only paid $450 for my kit.
Wouldent you rather spend your money on expensive lighting and show stuff. i mean if I didnt 4 wheel than I would want it to just turn heads. thus nobody is going to drive down the road and say that guy has this kit. They are going to say look at that lifted xj and notice the outside stuff(lights, bumpers, grill guards, roofracks, things like that) You dont need a $870 lift.

And yes, 3 is largest you can go with a 96 or newer without needing a sye. But if your only going to run 31 and not going offroad than 3" is all you need.

this is the assman sighning off

hey i owe you an apology brian gibson, lol, to tell the truth, i didnt know about the PM's, before when you said check your PMs, i thought you mean check your PMS and just forgot to capitalize the last letter, so i figured you were being a jerk, but i was wrong again. well first i will have to get the jeep, and i think i finally found one i like, heres the link: http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/...&advanced=n&start_year=1997&color=&cardist=19 so maybe then ill call the guy you told me about in the PM and work something out, ill get the RE 4.5, and get the currie SYE, but dont know what do do with the driveshaft, and for you STONEY, i am located in NE ohio, northwest summit county.

Here's what I recommend !!!!!!

1-Find and buy a Jeep that you like and deal with the differences later.
2-Get your head out of those magazines and tune in here for a couple of weeks.Youll learn alot more about XJ's
3-Slow down,relax,and think all this thru.It will save you time and money.

Back