• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Help

I am finally back home for a little bit and wanted to get some work accomplished on my jeep. The big nagging issue want to work on is the hinges on my 99 2 door XJ that need to be replaced. I know someone out there has experience doing this or knows a shop in the Colorado Springs area that can do it for a reasonable price.

This is one of the many problems I am working on while I am hope, so wish me luck.

Thanks.

Replaced? What's going on with the hinges? Haven't ever come across an XJ with worn out hinges..... I've seen hinges ripping loose due to bad welds to the unibody......

From what I can tell the pin has become worn out. I can lift the door up at the end of the door and see the Jeep side of the hinge not move, but the door is moving. All of the movement seems to bee at at the hinge pin.

Replacement hinge pins are available in the Help section at Autozone and Advanced Auto.

Hopefully that is it instead of the inside of the hinge worn. A cheap temp fix if the hinge is worn is to go to your local hobby store and get some brass tubing just big enough to go over the pin and small enough to go through the hinge to take up the slack.

Knock out one of the pins and take a look. Post up a pix.

If you can match the pin but the hinge is not big enough, you could run a reamer through the hinges.

Last edited:
My original thought with posting was to find a shop that can do the work quick, cheap and right. I was going drop off the Jeep before I leave on my next trip and come back to it being fixed.

But after your comments, I think I might just get the Doorman Kit 38439 and replace the pins myself when I get time. Based on the issue I am seeing, my guess is that the issue is that the bushings have worn out.

Thanks for the comments guys. Thanks.

Back