• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for better valve cover gaskets.

I will try to explain better about the "metal insert thingy" problem. I kept having a leak at the back of my valve cover. I was torquing the bolts down and noticed I hit a dead stop before I met the torque value. I took the cover off and measured the thickness of the fel-pro gasket compared to the amount the metal thingy bolt bushings protrude out the bottom of the valve cover and the bushings stuck out .005" more than the actual thickness of the gasket. So in essence there was little to no actual squish happening between the two for the gasket to work. I took the bushings to work and removed .010" of an inch off. Never had a problem since.

Which bolt on the back cover? I noticed when I was doing mine, that I couldn't really get a torque wrench or ratchet onto the back driver's-side bolt. I've got a ratcheting DeWalt combination wrench that was able to get the job done. That's the one bolt I didn't actually torque to spec, just kinda felt it out lol. I probably could've use my torque wrench on it, but I would've had to use a swivel, which would've completely screwed my torque readings up. Not to mention, I see the 4.0's are just kinda naturally prone to oil leaks at the back of the engine just due to their design and how everything sits...

I use a wobble extension, if angle is kept less than 10 degrees or so you can still get a good torque reading.

Back