• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for an 8.8

You get what you pay for. I use the Lokar cables on the Currie 9" I run. They are easy to install as you cut them to fit and are well worth the costs.

And, as has been stated, the cable costs are the very least of the conversion price.

Another reason to go disk if drum fading. As the drum heats up, the breaking force reduces. Which can ruin your day if you are going down a mountain side...

To throw more fuel on the fire (yes, he's wrong) disc brakes work just as well in reverse as they do forward. When you're backing down a steep hill the rear brakes become very important, at this time your drums don't do much anything.

PS - Ford rear discs use a parking brake drum integrated into the rotor hat.

I dont want to post who it is because he does good work and they have been a great help to me and several others. Lets put it this way everyone in the Sierra Chapter probably gets product and or services from them and they stand behind everything they do. I trust the guy and the only ? I had in this post was what year 8.8 came with drum brakes. I did not ask anyone's opinion about disc brakes although it is welcomed and taken into considerration and I will discuss this with them before going to pick n pull.
If he's so great and you think he's right, why not share his name?

This is what most people are confused by when doing disc brake swaps.

Disc brakes don't necessarily have more stopping power, but have consistent stopping power.

If drum brakes lose any adjustment at all, there goes their stopping power. Rainy day? Prepare for premature lockups. Drive through some mud? Prepare to break down the drums and clean/adjust them.
this is partly why it wasnt entirely worth it for me, since we don't get much rain and we dont wheel in the mud. the braking improvements were slim to none.
what's weird is now that i did the wj swap, the rear wheels lock up easier when really slamming on the brakes. i'm hoping it's just the rear end getting light with the added front braking power on 35's. the brakes seem strong though.

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Default.aspx
They told me that Drum brakes work the same or better unless it is wet. They will be doing the swap and I will go with Disc brakes because they easier to find than drum. Any other suggestions would be great. Is there a larger rotor and caliper kit that is DOT and will swap in for better stopping power?

Got my 8.8 installed and the disc breaks work great. Glad we went with disc breaks. We found an 8.8 with 4.10 gears and LSD out of a 2000 explorer. I dont have any vibes like I did with the 8.25 and we used larger sping perches to eliminate axle wrap and ad an extra inch of lift that the XJ needed due to sagging springs. Jeep rides great now all I need to do is great ebrake cables. So looks like the Lokar brake cables are the best any suggestions?

To throw more fuel on the fire (yes, he's wrong) disc brakes work just as well in reverse as they do forward. When you're backing down a steep hill the rear brakes become very important, at this time your drums don't do much anything.

if you are in 4wd and locked, the front brakes are still doing most of the work since the t-case/driveshafts would have to rotate at different speeds for the rear brakes to do more work.

unless your front is loosing traction and sliding, your braking shouldn't be any different in reverse. as long as you are in 4wd and locked.

Back