• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a good place to have my Cherokee repaired

cal said:
MJR is a dealership mechanic. he can work on it on the record at work or off the record at home, but he's the best you will find on the west coast.

Oh, I see. I really wouldn't mind driving further than my local area to find someone who knows his stuff! :)

GSequoia said:
What year is the Jeep?

Mine pinged a lot when my knock sensor was disconnected (I actually physicaly broke it). This only applies to 1987 - 1990 4.0 Litre Cherokees.

It's a 1997 4.0 L. I'd hope that the shop would have noticed something as obvious as that?

Lillian,

The pinging that you are describing can be caused by several things... Lean air/fuel mixture (dirty MAP sensor or O2 sensor) and carbon buildup inside the combustion chamber are to name just a few.....
Contact Mike (MJR) and make arrangements for him to look at your Jeep.
Depending upon where you live in W. Los Angeles.... the drive to where he works should only take about 55 mins.
I have known Mike for almost 6 years and I consider him a good friend... You wont go wrong having him look at your Jeep.

Charles

Sounds like it needs a major tuneup (cap/rotor/wires/plugs) plus a throttle body cleaning and decarbonization. It might be good or bad (joke) for me to look at it depending on whether or not you really want to know what it needs. :) I work at Tuttle/Click Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge in Irvine and can be found there usually M-F 8:30am-5:30pm.

Mike R

I definitely want to know what it needs, and I want it fixed too. :D I'm due for a road trip to Colorado and would rather not do that with the car in the condition it's currently in.

There's a neat sandwich shop in Costa Mesa I like, so combining lunch with getting the Jeep looked after seems like a good cause for taking a day off. :D

Edit note: as my husband just informed me, it already has a new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

Last edited:
Back