• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a firing range spot, not quite sure where to put this.

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
My friend and I are planning on taking out some bb guns out for a day and I can't think of any good clearings in the area that'd work well for this sort of thing. Does anyone know of anything near the metro denver area that would work well where we can avoid raised eyebrows and angry hippies?

Ideally, I'd like a spot within about a mile of paved roads. Any suggestions?

bb guns? try your driveway

head up 70 (i beleive) to gunnison, when you get to the road to wild cody shrine, head up there, pretty good area.

a bit farther up 70 and you should see the buffalos, turn around went to far

Yeah, backyard with some shaken up Dr. Pepper cans is my favorite.
Lemme know when/where ya end up going, I might join ya

throwing shaken up soda cans into the air and a shotgun. WAY cooler than watching a piece of clay break in the air.

are there any farms in your area? or anyone with any property? i doubt they'd mind you shooting BB guns as long as you clean up.

bb guns? try your driveway

head up 70 (i beleive) to gunnison, when you get to the road to wild cody shrine, head up there, pretty good area.

a bit farther up 70 and you should see the buffalos, turn around went to far

Near buffalo bill's grave? Isn't that area pretty crowded?
Thanks, I'll check this out. Can't do the driveway thing, we live in a pretty tight covenant.

Back yard isn't quite as long as I was hoping for. We were planning on trying to hit targets around the 100yd range. One rifle I have is rated for 120 yd and another is rated for about 150yd accurately.

throwing shaken up soda cans into the air and a shotgun. WAY cooler than watching a piece of clay break in the air.

are there any farms in your area? or anyone with any property? i doubt they'd mind you shooting BB guns as long as you clean up.
No farms in my area, I live in arvada where everyone has WAY less than an acre.

Edit: I was initially thinking up near the lefthand canyon trailhead where carnage used to be, but I realized a lot of people use firearms up there, and I don't think the area is long enough for what we were hoping to do.

Last edited:
How about the westminster mall? I'm sure you could find all sorts of tagets there. Might teach the little punks to not ditch scool. :D

How about the westminster mall? I'm sure you could find all sorts of tagets there. Might teach the little punks to not ditch scool. :D

Were you one of those punks who ditched school??

Hubba - have you been up to Switzerland trail area? It's about 35-40 mins NW of Boulder, but if you were considering going to left hand it wouldn't be too much further. Not far into that trail (from the Gold Hill side) there is a spur leading down hill to a rocky outcropping. You could get up in the rocks sniper style and shoot across into a meadow/hillside. There are no trails on the ridge you'd be shooting, and you could stay out of sight of most users. Although this weekend there likely wouldn't be many folks up there anyways.

Get in Google Earth - search for Mt. Alto Picnic Area and then pan West and slightly north.
40-02-50 N 105-27-15 W are the coordinates of the spot I'm talking about.

Were you one of those punks who ditched school??

Umm......

Damn

Yes I was actually. I went to summer school my Freshman, Sophmore, and Junior years. :D I basically didn't (and still don't) believe in homework. I avg'd A's on any and all tests I took, but never did my homework. Tended to cause low overall grades.

Hubba - have you been up to Switzerland trail area? It's about 35-40 mins NW of Boulder, but if you were considering going to left hand it wouldn't be too much further. Not far into that trail (from the Gold Hill side) there is a spur leading down hill to a rocky outcropping. You could get up in the rocks sniper style and shoot across into a meadow/hillside. There are no trails on the ridge you'd be shooting, and you could stay out of sight of most users. Although this weekend there likely wouldn't be many folks up there anyways.

Get in Google Earth - search for Mt. Alto Picnic Area and then pan West and slightly north.
40-02-50 N 105-27-15 W are the coordinates of the spot I'm talking about.
Cool, I have a GPS, too. So that'll work :D.

Anyone know what temperatures are up there now (roughly)?

Umm......

Damn

Yes I was actually. I went to summer school my Freshman, Sophmore, and Junior years. :D I basically didn't (and still don't) believe in homework. I avg'd A's on any and all tests I took, but never did my homework. Tended to cause low overall grades.

Sounds about right - and they've only recently done a study that potentially invalidates the value of homework (should have done that 20 years ago...)

Fortunately, when my grades tanked (partly because I didn't believe in homework either, partly because I'd already done the work and didn't see a need to do it again...) they finally decided to have a psych eval on me - Purdue came over, pulled me out of class for three days (best part of the whole damn thing,) and ended up telling them what I'd been telling them for three years - I was bored, and didn't like homework.

Purdue also told them to leave me alone about it, and started offering me all sorts of fun programmes on week-ends. Riding through the Levee both ways on Saturdays pretty much all year is what got my legs in such great shape (and got me the thirty-plus inch thigh measurement I used to have...)

Those of you who live in Lafayette and West Lafayette know what I'm talking about. Down Ninth Street Hill and up Chauncey Hill on Saturday morning, and the reverse in the after-noon. Got to where I didn't even need to shift gears, and got the timing on the lights sorted as well.

Boredome was my main issue. If I know something I typically want to move on to something new and don't want to do mindlessly stupid shite to "prove" I know it.

I was initially thinking up near the lefthand canyon trailhead where carnage used to be, but I realized a lot of people use firearms up there, and I don't think the area is long enough for what we were hoping to do.

what are you hoping to do with you BB guns??? i have a spot in lefthand that is plenty long for all of my shooting. from .22 to .308

Back