• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Look what crazyjim's been up to

Did you just change the bulbs and add a ballast or is the housing made to be used with the hid bulbs?

jeeperjohn said:
Did you do the headlight wiring upgrade? Is it necessary with HID's?

No I didn't, it's not required with an HID upgrade, it's actually pulling LESS power than a normal 65w halogen bulb is, they make all their power in the ballasts.

corbinafly said:
Did you just change the bulbs and add a ballast or is the housing made to be used with the hid bulbs?

It's the Autopal E-code housings, converted from sealed beam to H4 style beam, it's a popular upgrade. The hid conversion is a kit, and comes with all the neccesary wiring, relays, and ballasts... also bulbs. It's truly plug and play, no splicing etc.

Mine are the plasma's. They are ultra white, the actual bulbs have a blue tint to them. Mine simple plug into the bulbs that slip into the new housing, hence plug n play, lol. Don't forget to check out the pictures of my rig since I last posted in the introduction part of the forum. It took me 7 days to convert my truck from typical XJ, to the craziness it currently is. The only help I had was when it was time to get the alignment done, lol. Love the new change over.
91CherokeeSport7.jpg

Last edited:
91XJRubicXD said:
I picked up this set of lights on Ebay for $ 11.90, plus 19.00 shipping, lol. They call em Diamonds, due to the center inside covering shaped as such.
I don't want to rain on your parade, or seem like an ass... but those housings you bought don't work all that well, not as well as the e-code housings.

But more importantly those lights you bought are not HID's. They're still normal halogens with a blue tint.

I never stated I had HID's. I simply said these are plasma bulbs and they are ultra whites as per the manufacturer's list sheet. And as for working, so far they work fine, if and when they break, easily replaced. HID's go for 169.00 on Ebay for anyone wanting to know :)

Hey its part of the "Jeep thing". He was giving you correct info to get past the marketing from the company you got your lights from. He just did it in a semi-sarcastic way. :) If it makes you feel beter, I guarantee your lights work beter than mine. Mine being stock sealed beam "high output". Mine are retarded, I didn't gain any brightness by switching to more expensive lights. I guess there's only so much that can be had with sealed beam technology. If I drive in the rain at night, my lights get lost before they even reach the ground. At some point, hopefully soon, I plan on upgrading to either the E-code halogens or going all the way to true HIDs.

BlackSport96 said:
Hey its part of the "Jeep thing". He was giving you correct info to get past the marketing from the company you got your lights from. He just did it in a semi-sarcastic way. :) If it makes you feel beter, I guarantee your lights work beter than mine. Mine being stock sealed beam "high output". Mine are retarded, I didn't gain any brightness by switching to more expensive lights. I guess there's only so much that can be had with sealed beam technology. If I drive in the rain at night, my lights get lost before they even reach the ground. At some point, hopefully soon, I plan on upgrading to either the E-code halogens or going all the way to true HIDs.
till you decide to upgrade you will get a GREAT increase in light from rewiring your stock headlight harnesses. the stock ones dont allow nearly enough juice to get to the lights. there are a couple writeups on the forums, or you could order a set already made up from John "5-90" Kelley. he's a real nice guy if you shoot him a PM he will be glad to help you out.

Back