• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long-distance moving--anyone used PODS or similar?

cnugent

NAXJA Forum User
We are moving from Fort Collins, CO, to Tacoma, WA sometime before December. Looking for anyone who can speak to their experience with a moving outfit such as PODS, UPack, etc. We plan on selling our home here, renting first for a while there, and finally, buying. So being able to store some of our stuff, and have access to it, is high on the list of priorities.

Anyone use this type of service before? What did you think?

Thank you!

Chris

We checked into those pods, but man are they costly! If my old Swiss cheese brain remembers correctly it was upwards of $1500 for them. And that was only a few hundred mile move in-state!

PODS, themselves, for storage is reasonable pending size and such. They offer AAA discount, maybe others. Might be best to find a place to rent, use a moving truck, and setup with PODS to have the POD at the location you will be at. And load whatever you need to in the pod when you get there.

Might be best to find a place to rent, use a moving truck, and setup with PODS to have the POD at the location you will be at. And load whatever you need to in the pod when you get there.

^^This^^

For local storage, they are great. For long distance, they are expensive. I used them when I moved across town and it was great to load up a bunch of stuff and have it stored, then dropped off at the new place. But again, check their long distance pricing.

I have used PODS to move both across country and across town. Very reasonable when you look at the convenience factor of being able to pack it on your timeline, then have it shipped. I would do it again.

When my wife moved from Texas to California earlier this year it was cheaper by a pretty significant amount to simply rent a truck even a Penske than it was to use the PODS and that was even counting fuel into the cost.

Welp, we've shopped around between PODS, UPack, and one other, but they are pretty much shooting us at $7000 or so to go from Colorado to Washington. Doable, but not pleasant. However, with our two kids and a lifetime of crap in the house, I think the convenience is going to be worth it.

Still entertaining some options. Unfortunately our timeline has moved up to Dec. 1. Previously we hadn't planned on doing this til next summer. Thanks for the comments so far.

Chris

Back