• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm

rhino317

NAXJA Forum User
I'm wanting to do a long arm upgrade so i can eventually move up to 6" of lift with 35's. What long arm upgrade would you guys recomend? The cheapest i found was $430 and i couldn't find the price on TNT upgrade.

Any help would be nice.

search! this has been covered a lot!

i have had good results with rock krawler but the tnt kit with crossmember and skid is hard to beat though a little more that the Rk - there is a member here selling an "budget kit" thats very well done - RE also is decent but a lot of coin for the kit - same with BDS - rustys has mixed reviews etc etc etc

I really like my RE kit. The crossmember hangs a little low but I can deal with it. I am real happy that the crossmember can be removed without dropping the arms (unlike some others, TnT kit I think) and the crossmember is pretty beefy too!!! Its almost overkill but thats a good thing to me.

aparke4 said:
search! this has been covered a lot!

i have had good results with rock krawler but the tnt kit with crossmember and skid is hard to beat though a little more that the Rk - there is a member here selling an "budget kit" thats very well done - RE also is decent but a lot of coin for the kit - same with BDS - rustys has mixed reviews etc etc etc

what member?

The TNT kit is gonna be around $899 from what I have been researching. The BDS kit is not a radius arm kit like Rusty's, RE etc. The BDS is a true 4 link and their claim to fame is "No questions asked, if you break it they replace it"...but their kit is most expensive of the above mentioned kits too!

hope this helps ya.

OUT-

You do not want that Teraflex kit. This was just covered a few days back. The Teraflex "longarms" are not good, period! I had a vendor tell me once that he would rather loose a sale then sell those arms to me. After I researched the product beyond its cheap prce, I found out that it is not worth a damn. If I can find the link to that discussion, I will post it for you.

OUT-

After about 5" of lift, your control arm geometry starts to get scary. It rides poorly, doesnt flex as well, and some people have had issues with binding and or deathwobble.

If you already have a good lift and want to just go a little taller without longarms, you can do Rubicon Express drop brackets. About $300 and good to 7.5"+ lift.

cal said:
After about 5" of lift, your control arm geometry starts to get scary. It rides poorly, doesnt flex as well, and some people have had issues with binding and or deathwobble.

If you already have a good lift and want to just go a little taller without longarms, you can do Rubicon Express drop brackets. About $300 and good to 7.5"+ lift.

hmmmm. well im at 4.5" and its the RE lift so maybe that will be a good idea? Theres got to be a catch. Will i still get better ride quality, the same as buying a long arm kit? Do they have less ground clearance?

rhino317 said:
hmmmm. well im at 4.5" and its the RE lift so maybe that will be a good idea? Theres got to be a catch. Will i still get better ride quality, the same as buying a long arm kit? Do they have less ground clearance?

They have less than the 'high clearance' kits like the TNT, but more than some long arm kits. You will occasionally *hit* them, but i've never been hung up on them - and i've run most of the harder trails around on them (as have many others).

Some people will say that you get more 'nose dive' under heavy braking than with long arms, but it has not been my experiance.

Is the geometry as good as with a long arm kit? No. But its pretty close, and at a fraction of the cost. I run them at 6.5" and LOVE them. Yes you will get better ride quality, and better flex.

rhino317 said:
i think maybe it was the clayton long arms that was $430.
Clayton Arms are 850, and have a lifetime warentee against bending or breaking, the clayton arms that are goin under my xj have already outlasted 2 other xj's

yeah its only $300 if you have control arms that will work. i looked into it and with everthing involved (RE LCA UCA DB's, braces) i was looking at roughly $808.00 (i had rusty's bent arms..... go rusty :-\) and for 100 bucks more i could get the tnt.... but its good that you already have the RE arms that will save some serious coin.

I have RE Long arm with Acos for a little more lift and I love it. I havent had any problems getting hung up on anything and the ride quality is still great for a daily driver.

Back