• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arm or leaf spring conversion

If you have to ask, you haven't done it.

CRASH

Beezil said:
whats "real" wheeling?

Steering, braking, and accelerating down an actual trail........as opposed to reading, typing, drawing, cutting, welding, and dreaming.

CRASH said:
So when does the web wheeling stop and the real wheeling begin?

soooorrrry! Just because I have yet to go on a NAXJA run doesnt' mean I don't go wheeling. I have several friends (not with XJs) that I go wheeling with frequently. As for my truck, it won't be ready for a while as I still need to gear the front to match the rear and I am moving to Michigan for school in 2 weeks. Next May when I am back for the summer, this thing will be DONE, no more wrenching unless something breaks! I plan on doing the 'Con and Fordyce at least 5 times each next summer. I definitely look forward to seeing you and other NAXJA members on the trail.

keep in mind that I am 19 years old and a college student, I am hardly being able to afford the Waggy/8" swap that I am finishing up now, and I still have several more thing that need to be done before I consider this truck ready for the 'Con or Fordyce.

As of lately, I really wouldn't call myself a "web-wheeler" or a "real wheeler", I'm much more of a "wrenching, welding, knuckle banging, broke wheeler". I've been spending 6-10 hours a day working on my truck for the last several weeks, seems like my only breaks are to ask some questions on here and PBB. It really sucks and I'm really looking forward to just having it DONE.

Speaking of which, it's back to the garage I go... ( really need to get some lava soap, my keyboard is getting really dirty:rolleyes: )

'

For the leaf spring arguement, you said it yourself "Leaf springs are all well and good" they work, and get us college kids by while on a tight budget. You are also correct that a properly done coil suspension is better. Can we drop it now? I'm finished with the leaf/coil arguement.

I commend you for sticking to your guns......I was just testing your resolve. :D We'd love to have you join us for some wheeling real soon!

What happened to UCD? I thought you were headed back there after your excursion to the South Pacific?

CRASH

Steering, braking, and accelerating down an actual trail........as opposed to reading, typing, drawing, cutting, welding, and dreaming.

Ouch. CAUTION: Extreme reading can cause paper cuts. :firedevil :

CRASH

Goatman said:

like this (two weeks ago before I tore down for the leafs and Waggy44, place called Hume Lake in the mountains east of Fresno):
1060316588_hume.jpg

one of these days I'll actually go on a NAXJA run so people will realize this thing actually gets used, frequently.

they have never fallen out, but yeah it's a thought. The tire actually has a bike cable and lock holding it in (theft protection) and I had the toolbox bolted to the bedrails but the thing must weigh 2-300 pounds (lots of d30 and d35 spares :D ) and I actually noticed a difference in COG by putting it down flat in the bed. I've been looking all over for some of the Rubbermaid "action packers", the grey, black and red tubs to get a pair of those and bolt them in the bed instead of the steel tool box...

Did you try Longs, next to BelAir in Auburn? I got two of them there. Also, Wally-Mart should have some.

CRASH

Back