• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm death wobble?

caster/camber
check your pinion angle
aslo are the tires centered under the vehicle
what kind of track bar ya runnin
perhaps TRE gone

lots of folks have run 7" and eliminated DW

you could get a new steering stabilizer but that will only band-aid it ..

I had to do it on mine after messing with it for a month
it worked

XJCRAWLER said:
I do have deathwobble, yes my wife drives it everday, it doesn't do it constantly only when you hit a bump at different speeds and the only way to make it stop is to stop the Jeep completely. And the question was about long arms and if they could eliminate it. If you don't have a need for info on dw then don't waste your time on reading the thread.

I have had a couple of experiences with d.w, I was running 6" lift w/long arms(with dana 30). Over the the course of the build -up and routine/preventitive maitanance I had replaced all of the front suspension/steering components..except the ball joints. replaced those, problem solved.

More recently I put a waggy 44 in place of my dana 30. I was on a budget so I put in cheap ball joints, had to replace them with quality joints after two runs.. After my second trip I was running on pavement and felt the begining of osscilations. Drove home, jacked up the front end and checked for play,and of course there was a ton of play-replaced joints, no osscilations.

So in my experiance the ball joints have been the culprit, of coure there are many other causes of d.w, You need to have a buddy help you do a thorough inspection, looking for loose or worn components.

I personlly wouldn't drive or have my wife drive with out finding the problem. When my vehicle(s) begin to act-up I either put them in the shop or ask for help from my friends.

Last edited:
I have a rusty's 8" Long arm kit. I have no death woblble. It is is sensitive on the steering at about 65 mph but otherwise good. I do have some bump steer. I think this is due tot he extremes on the steering linkages. I plan to put a waggy D44 in and when I do I will get the High steer That should corect the problem.

XJCRAWLER said:
I do have deathwobble, yes my wife drives it everday, it doesn't do it constantly only when you hit a bump at different speeds and the only way to make it stop is to stop the Jeep completely. And the question was about long arms and if they could eliminate it. If you don't have a need for info on dw then don't waste your time on reading the thread.

check your steering angles...

http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/geometry.html

sounds more like bumpsteer to me...

hitting a bump causes his wobble...

and aparently he doesnt have any other issues...

for a few days, i had a deal where i would hit a bump, and then my body roll from there would cause some scarry stuff to happen...

i dono - just trying to help him out a little...

I could be wrong, I will do a search, I thought that d.w was uncontrolled osscilations/violent shaking? (ussualy set of by a bump but not allways) Bump steer is the wheel kind of jerking when you hit a bump (track bar not paralell to drag link)

Not to beat a dead horse....but you guys should really take a good look at your lower control arm mounts at the UNI-Body... I have some bad bump steer issues a few years back and replaced all the suspension parts untill I noticed a little crack on the lower control arm mount on the uni-body... Now with that said...7" of lift and short arms with no drop brackets.. You should really be looking at fixing your suspension angles, either long arms or drop brackets... just my .02$ worth...

b4wheelnxj said:
installed long arms today and hit a bump and went in to a dw the worst i have ever had didnt have dw on short arms but ride sucked how do i fix it now i got the upgrade kit from rock krawler
Are you sure the arms are the exact same length?

Fixed mine a long time ago with Clayton long arm kit and replaced the upper control arm bushings. I found the sleeves in the bushings were too big. I have not had the first sign of DW since.

I found the reason for mine.
You know those cotter pins you're supposed to put in the TRE castle nuts...

also sometimes a old steering stablizer can cause DW and in my case this was the problem... i replaced my old one with rusty;s dual kit and did everything else that has been said...links, balancing tires and bushings with my long arm kit...i also run pro comp mud terrains and these tires are very smooth... sometimes bias ply tires can kick up a storm and feel like death wobble when alll they have is a few deadspots...ahhh old horse here?? sorry if this sounds repetitive

aparke4 said:
also sometimes a old steering stablizer can cause DW and in my case this was the problem... i replaced my old one with rusty;s dual kit and did everything else that has been said...links, balancing tires and bushings with my long arm kit...i also run pro comp mud terrains and these tires are very smooth... sometimes bias ply tires can kick up a storm and feel like death wobble when alll they have is a few deadspots...ahhh old horse here?? sorry if this sounds repetitive
Kinda excited about this post?

yes in fact i did not realize how much a difference running 35 inch thornpoops compared to mud terrains made such a difference in balancing ease and drivability. Excited? of course man! anyways thats my two cents and DW is annoying so there!

:guitar:

I had death wobble i had 6.5 rustys + 1.75 spacer,rustys upper and lower adjustable contol arms, rustys shocks. then I went to the clayton long arm kit with rustys full 9' coil, bilstine 5150 shocks and i used down east off roads traction bar relocator and i haven't had death wobble after i put the long arms on.

The other thing you guys are missing here is the steering box. Check for play in that. My Eagle has an MJ front axle with SJ front leafs. Ended up the steering box being worn was the total cause of my DW. I adjusted it and it went away. And I am running 35-12.50/15 Wildcat EXT radials, so the bias theory is less likely.
http://www.granitepath.com/~kd7yuq/photogallery/eagle/DCP_7584.jpg
http://www.granitepath.com/~kd7yuq/photogallery/eagle/DCP_7591.jpg
http://www.granitepath.com/~kd7yuq/photogallery/eagle/DCP_7590.jpg
http://www.granitepath.com/~kd7yuq/photogallery/eagle/DCP_7596.jpg

Back