• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockright help

IDXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Installed my lock rightand reinstalled the case in the houseing. I install one axle with no problem but the second one when I torque down one bolt tight I cant turn the shaft. By the way its a dana 44. Any ideas what may be the problem.

IDXJ said:
Installed my lock rightand reinstalled the case in the houseing. I install one axle with no problem but the second one when I torque down one bolt tight I cant turn the shaft. By the way its a dana 44. Any ideas what may be the problem.

i dont know tooo much about putting axles together (just taking them apart :D) but did you set up the gears? it might be off enough to f' something up...

just my .02c

actually even if you remove the carrier you do not need to reset the gears. Anyway problem solved. I justswapped sides on the shafts and both went in no problem. Go figure

I was getting ready to tell you that! Theres about 3/8" difference between the sides!There is a right and left axle.

RCP Phx said:
I was getting ready to tell you that! Theres about 3/8" difference between the sides!There is a right and left axle.

Sure now you chime in after I scratched my head for so long trying to figure it out that I now have a bald spot.

so wait, your tellin me, you dont need to setup gears if you leave the gears on the carrier?, that would save me alot of trouble, when going to ezlockers...

what about shims? im getting closer and closer to getting some 297x shafts and a quicklok for my front axle...:guitar:

Just leave the shims alone. If they come out, put them back in exactly as you found them. Put it back together, torque it all up and you're good to go. That's why they call them EZ lockers.

DeadEyeJ said:
Just leave the shims alone. If they come out, put them back in exactly as you found them. Put it back together, torque it all up and you're good to go. That's why they call them EZ lockers.

yeah, i know, but "EZ" stuff isnt always as "EZ" as it SHOULD be :D ;)

believe it or not the EZ locker or lock right realy is easy. The only time I have ever opened up the diff on my XJ was to replace my broken axle. I had no problem installing my lock right. As soon as I pulled my head out of my ass and put the shafts in the right side it went together with no problem.

Since this was already opened up ....

Put a lock rite in my front today ...

did the "tests" according to the manual.... seemed to function fine.

While driving straight or turning I get some noise. Not the clicking of the diff engaging/disengaging I don't believe...

This thing should be silent when I'm going straight right?

Might be a bad hub as I changed those out with some spares (grenaded mine) but then I'd think I'd hear it more on one side and this seems to originate from the center...

We're you in 4wd? Just installed a Lock-Right up front, and put the whole vehicle in the air to check the lockers. In 2wd the front tires spin completely independently. But when you go into 4wd, they lock together, (that's why people always say that a Lock-Right in the front, on the street, in 2wd is "invisable"). So if you we're in 2wd, you should not hear anything. If you were in 4wd, going straight, you shouldn't hear anything either. Unless you were pressing and releaseing the gas (in an automatic) or changing gears (in a manual), then you may hear the locker "loading and unloading"

Well, I watched the locker with the cover off and it seemed to function normally... We topped off the fluid and I think it is a little quiter but it's hard to tell... I was pretty tired last night.

I guess I'm going to have to attribute this to the hubs. I mean even if there was stil some scars on my carrier rubbing on the thrust washers it should only make noise when the locker is engaging/disengaging because if I am going in a straigt line the shafts are locker together and the carrier is spinning on the bearings, not the locker spinning on the thrust washers... or clicking around....

Gotta be the hubs....

Hubs? Like you have hubs in your front? Or are you talking about the single hub in the front right tube? I've wondered about putting a lockright in the fron of one of those.
Since my jeep has the hub in the front axle my front shaft doesn't spin in 2wd like you "non hubbed" guys. So I'm thinking that while going straight in my jeep the left side shaft is going to ratchet on the locker while the drveshaft and right side shaft stay still or vise-verse.
In a jeep without the hub both front shafts are going to spin according to the speed of the appropriate wheels so the locker wouldn't ratchet in 2wd, only around corners. The front driveshaft would spin with the axles and no noises would be heard except on corners.
Anyway, somebody with experience correct me on this or let me know if I'm right, I'd like to know if I can run a locker up there.

You mean the vaccum dissconnect between the pass tire and the diff....

If you have a cherokee and haven't done a Warn or MM Manual Hub Conversion you have the same bearing/hub assembly that we all have.

You can put a lockright in it sure....

You're right in that if you have a disconnect (disco) axle you can run a full spool and not have steering issues on the street. I welded mine up and it worked fine on the street because the 'differential' action was handled at the disconnect.

Back