• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LockRight:Dana 30 vs. Dana 35

I've been told that in my D30, the lockright will not cause ANY problems while in 2x2 on the road with my Auto. 90' XJ. Several people have told me this, and I just find it hard to believe. So, does anybody have any other testimonials before I buy one?
Thanks
-John

A locker in the front dana30 will not cause any "problems". You may notice that it is there from time to time but over all it should be near invisible. You might hear it ratchet but again it wont be loud or obnoxious. If you are truely that concerned about it get something less agressive, for the front axle. Also remeber that a front locker will actually be safer than a rear one during bad weather conditions on the road, because no power is going to the front axle.

Inisadow said:
Also remeber that a front locker will actually be safer than a rear one during bad weather conditions on the road, because no power is going to the front axle...

...until you need 4 wheel drive.

This might be too late...it's just my 2 cent...so take it for what it's worth. Since you have an auto tranny I would buy one for the D35. You won't notice the rear locker much in the rear other than in bad conditions and when you gas it going in a straight line, but those are easily overcome after you get used to it. Going around turns it's hardly noticeable since you don't have the constant torque applied to it like you would have with a manual tranny. If your really concerned about the above mentioned then stay away from it, but if you plan on putting one in the rear someday go ahead and do it now so you can get use to it in the early stages. Putting one in the front is not going to be as much of an advantage on the trail as a rear one is.

I've been running the Detroit EZ Lockers front and rear for the past 10 years. The first 6 in my '90 YJ on 35's and the past 4 in my '89 XJ on 35's. I have never had any problems with them and have never broken a rear axle.

Back