• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockout hubs

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at a Ford Ranger and it had a Dana 30 front axle (just like our XJs) and noticed it had Warn locking hubs- allowing 2lo! So... I was wondering if anyone tried to install lockouts on a XJ before.

I did hit the search button, but not a whole lot came up.

-Matt

It is done, WARN makes a kit. What you are talking about doesn't give you 2 low in a reasonable way, if you want 2 low then buy a tera 2 low kit for a few hundred vs almost a grand for hubs.

-Alex

The conversion is not practical. Way too complicated and expensive. It's because the axles are splined into the hubs. Other heavier duty axles pass through the hubs and bolt up with a flange on the outside, where locking hubs can be installed.

I have locking hubs on my D44 and the Tera2lo kit. The 2lo is by far nicer to use. I do a fair amount of slickrock and getting out to lock and unlock the hubs is a royal pain.

Another way you can get 2lo.. if you have a disco axle, you can get a posi-lok style setup that you can disengage the front axle.

Aren't you better off just swapping in a JY or CL D44 with the hubs already than to mess with the D30?

Depends. It's not a simple thing to install a front D44, nor is it cheap. All the braketry for springs, links and sway bars need to be fabbed, and new steering needs to be built. You might as well do high steer while you're at it, which requires machine work and more parts, plus gears, lockers, and axle shafts.

If all you want is 2lo, do the Tera 2low kit, much simpler and cheaper than doing a hub conversion kit. If you want hubs, shop for the kits, plenty of people have used them.

Back