• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking Factory Belts (car seat)

Markos

NAXJA Forum User
All,

I was told in a car seat safety class that post '96 vehicles had locking shoulder belts. I tried retracting the rear shoulder belts on my '99 all the way, but they never locked. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is possible in an XJ?

There is also a post that I have bookmarked somewhere that dicusses the retrofitting of part or all of the LATCH system. I'm guessing that it's just the tether. If you happen to know about this also, feel free to chime in.

P.S. Sorry - no time to search. Guess why? :yap:

The post 96 vehicles have locking latchplates which locks at the buckle not the retractor. Once you install your carseat, if you cannot move it, or you cannot get any slip, you should be fine. You should not use that H-shaped locking clip unless you have slip.

I am not aware of retrofitting a LATCH, just the top tether. you can get anchors from the dealer, pretty simple install.

This thread should help
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919307

and of course if you don't feel comfortable with your install, take it to your local firestation and have them look at it.

The post 96 vehicles have locking latchplates which locks at the buckle not the retractor. Once you install your carseat, if you cannot move it, or you cannot get any slip, you should be fine. You should not use that H-shaped locking clip unless you have slip.

I am not aware of retrofitting a LATCH, just the top tether. you can get anchors from the dealer, pretty simple install.

This thread should help
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=919307

and of course if you don't feel comfortable with your install, take it to your local firestation and have them look at it.

Great to hear. The current seat works well in the middle and is fairly painless to install. The outer seats seem to be a bit of a challenge. I'll stick with the middle right now, and look into the tether down the road. Thanks!

Back