• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockers in the sand...Ridiculously unstable

I've ran/run a Lockrite and Detroit in the front. I don't go to the sand often, but I never had a problem racing in the sand. Wide open for stretches with no control problems. Could not even tell the locker was there.

I have a Detroit in the front. I've done well over 100mph in 4hi (231j). In the sand.

I must be kryptonite

I have never had that experience either. Both Big Bird and the Team Naxja car have auto lockers up front (detroit and yukon) and both pull strait and true in 4 wheel drive.

Its when I'm in two wheel drive that I end up barrel rolling the racecar... ;)

Do you really need the traction of 4wd when doing 50mph... momentum is on your side. Just use 4wd to get going and shift back into 2wd once your going fast enough.

Do you really need the traction of 4wd when doing 50mph... momentum is on your side. Just use 4wd to get going and shift back into 2wd once your going fast enough.
i personally like using the front end to help pull me through corners. i'm no ricky bobby though.

I drove it on the street, front wd only. Feels like the locker is softly engaging and dis engaging under power. Basically pulling left or right. definitely not tracking straight.

I drove it on the street, front wd only. Feels like the locker is softly engaging and dis engaging under power. Basically pulling left or right. definitely not tracking straight.

then something is causing it to lock and unlock, most likely tire diameters not being equal.

It's possible that the teeth in the locker are worn, but usually that makes real bad noises because the teeth don't engage cleanly.

I'd play with tire pressures.

If I couldn't get it sorted with that, open it up and make sure there's not an installation issue. Springs not in the right spot, or bound up, something like that.

i would say tire pressure is a good place to start.
my grizzly is similar on pavement in 4wd, hardly notice it on the trail, even going fast

I'd play with tire pressures.

If I couldn't get it sorted with that, open it up and make sure there's not an installation issue. Springs not in the right spot, or bound up, something like that.
it's not a lunchbox, no springs to mess with. nothing to really screw up.

check for proper camber and caster on your alignment too. on the street it will give you bad tire wear. but in the sand it will make you track all over the place just like you are having.

Ummm.

We drove 100% of the 14miles of race in 4wd hi. I have a grizzly in the front (yes D60 but still grizzly). Speeds from 0 up till piston melt down of 82mph. It tracked fine, I think.

As for why your may or may not be doing odd things, the tire pressure was a great point to check. The grizzly has a under cut side gear assembly that unlike the detroit, is very much less prone to unlocking under very little load. You see this on detroit locker equiped rigs in sand hills or mudd hills where you see a front tire 'skip' every now and them while throttle down and very slippery. Thats the side gear unloading on the detroits. The grizzly was purposely built a bit different, so not to have this issue as much.

As for the tracking. I would test it again in a different trail or location and see if it was just the ruts you were hitting or?

In front wheel drive only, you cant really test anything. Even when you think your going perfectly straight and the locker can stay 100% engaged, your likely not.

Let us know what you find though. Sand can be odd to drive is since you get no side lateral traction typically.

it's not a lunchbox, no springs to mess with. nothing to really screw up.

still has springs, just not in the typical lunchbox arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSKsRNvXVs

possible there's a defect in the spring that causes it to unlock too easily?

Robert seems to be the man most knowledgeable on the Grizzly. I've not heard anything bad about them, mostly just that they were vastly improved from the detroit design and were way nicer to drive. I DD'd a full detroit, they're not exactly what I'd call comfortable.

Have you given Yukon a call and asked them? I had an issue with a yukon part once and they got me straightened out in ten minutes on the phone.

Back