• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOCAL LAND USE: Friends of Greenhorn cancels Greenhorn Creek Clean-up

Bryan C.

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm a little late getting this, but I thought it would be best to post it up anyway.

Friends of Greenhorn cancels Greenhorn Creek Clean-up

Warns local OHV enthusiasts to avoid the area this weekend January 17th and 18th.

Nevada City CA – January 16th, 2009

In an effort to stop an annual gathering in the Greenhorn Creek area, the Nevada County Sheriff Officer Sgt. Saunders, recently sounded the alarm to local residents announcing that “300+ vehicles will be using your road,” naming Friends of Greenhorn contact Jacquelyne Theisen as the responsible individual. This annual gathering has been a tradition in the Greenhorn Creek bed for many years, and is not associated with Friends of Greenhorn, or California Association of 4Wheel Drive Clubs Winter Fun Fest event.

“I received many emails over the last few days, some in support of our group, some very upset at the prospect of 300 vehicles coming down a local road. While we welcomed the opportunity to communicate with neighbors, getting a number of angry emails was very stressful.” said Theisen. "It is understandable that they would be upset, but I am not responsible for the many vehicles that were there last year, or the several years before."

“We had to be very clear that Friends of Greenhorn was planning the same sort of trash pick we have done in the past where we provide educational materials on responsible OHV use, pass out trash bags, and display maps showing public and private property boundaries. We see the amount of enthusiasts who traditionally come to the area this one day a year, as an opportunity to educate many OHV enthusiasts at once."

Sgt Saunders stated that the Bureau of Land Management and Department of Fish and Game, Tahoe National Forest Law Enforcement, and the Nevada County Sheriffs OHV division would be there in force. “We will be enforcing all vehicle codes, and DUI laws. There will be a checkpoint set up at the corner of Red Dog Rd. and Buckeye Rd. Saturday and Sunday.” said Saunders.

Closure of traditional OHV areas leaves visitors and locals looking for other places to recreate. This shifts traffic to other areas where it may not be welcome. Just two weeks ago, a special Cascade Shores HOA meeting was called because of complaints about OHV riders in their area. Residents blamed the recent Hansen Brothers and BLM Greenhorn Creek OHV area closures as the cause of an increase in OHV traffic in their neighborhood. Supervisor Beason attended the meeting and discovered just how contentious and divisive OHV closures can be to a community.

“These types of closures are not useful” said Theisen, “as it sometimes tempts otherwise responsible riders to ‘explore’ new areas. Simply outlawing all OHV use is not good management. Proper resource management strikes an even balance, yet BLM persists in single-sided ‘management by closure.’ It is not effective, and it is not productive. It can be is destructive to the community, private property, and recreational opportunity, and it splinters productive relationships between responsible OHV users and land management entities.”

“Friends of Greenhorn won't be at Greenhorn for this 'gathering' on Sunday as we had planned,” says Theisen. “While we see this as a lost opportunity to educate a large group of users at once, we will reschedule our clean up for a later time. While the Tahoe National Forest portion of Greenhorn is still legally open for use, we ask that all local and visiting OHV enthusiasts avoid the area this weekend. If you must go, please be respectful of others private property, and please drive slowly and safely through the neighborhoods."

Anyone interested in becoming a member of this proactive, educational, pro access OHV group can do so by signing up on our Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-greenhorn

###

Friends of Greenhorn

[email protected]

Jacquelyne Theisen
[email protected]

My personal opinion is that this kind of problem will be more common in the coming years as we lose more and more of our OHV areas. The management by closure process that is going on all over the country is a serious issue.

My personal opinion is that this kind of problem will be more common in the coming years as we lose more and more of our OHV areas. The management by closure process that is going on all over the country is a serious issue.

And at that point, they'll just crack down on vehicle code violations and trespassing laws, and probably make the penalties more severe
mad.gif

Billy

I know this is going to start a BIG argument back and forth but so what. Most of you think I'm a big a..hole anyways....

The response to the Sherriff's actions was TOTALLY wrong. As is most actions by user groups in these situations. The "let's be their friends, let's be good citizens, can't we all just get along, let's not cause any trouble" mentality has gotten us exactly where? NOWHERE. Trail closures after trail closures, Wilderness areas expanded, new rules and regs, etc. We've been getting our collective asses kicked for so long we might as well just quit. What SHOULD we do? Go on the offense!

When that Sherriff did what he did that should have been a rallying cry to all law abiding wheelers out there to flood that place with LAW ABIDING wheelers. And that includes Cal4wheel and OUR WFF. The vehicle games USED to be held down there and because of a few complaints Cal4wheel turned tail and ran. It's about time WE went on the offensive and started taking a play from the lefties playbook, and that is litigate their asses off. Let me ask you something, if the Sherriff would have told the ACLU, Rainbow Coalition, Sierra Club, et al to not show up what do you think they would have done? Turned tail and said, "ok we just won't show up". Hell no! They would have been there by the thousands. And you know what? They would've WON! Like they've been winning almost every battle they get into. Ever hear of the Sierra CLub losing? I'm sure it's happened but not very often.

Understand this IS NOT a personal attack on anyone associated with anything to do with this one incident. This is an indictment of ALL of US. I for one pledge to be more personally involved and give more money to support OUR sport. I call on all of you to do the same.

When that Sherriff did what he did that should have been a rallying cry to all law abiding wheelers out there to flood that place with LAW ABIDING wheelers. And that includes Cal4wheel and OUR WFF.

Agreed

I for one pledge to be more personally involved and give more money to support OUR sport. I call on all of you to do the same. By joining NAXJA a portion of the dues goes to United Four Wheel and many local trail causes also.

I know this is going to start a BIG argument back and forth but so what. Most of you think I'm a big a..hole anyways....

The response to the Sherriff's actions was TOTALLY wrong. As is most actions by user groups in these situations. The "let's be their friends, let's be good citizens, can't we all just get along, let's not cause any trouble" mentality has gotten us exactly where? NOWHERE. Trail closures after trail closures, Wilderness areas expanded, new rules and regs, etc. We've been getting our collective asses kicked for so long we might as well just quit. What SHOULD we do? Go on the offense!

When that Sherriff did what he did that should have been a rallying cry to all law abiding wheelers out there to flood that place with LAW ABIDING wheelers. And that includes Cal4wheel and OUR WFF. The vehicle games USED to be held down there and because of a few complaints Cal4wheel turned tail and ran. It's about time WE went on the offensive and started taking a play from the lefties playbook, and that is litigate their asses off. Let me ask you something, if the Sherriff would have told the ACLU, Rainbow Coalition, Sierra Club, et al to not show up what do you think they would have done? Turned tail and said, "ok we just won't show up". Hell no! They would have been there by the thousands. And you know what? They would've WON! Like they've been winning almost every battle they get into. Ever hear of the Sierra CLub losing? I'm sure it's happened but not very often.

Understand this IS NOT a personal attack on anyone associated with anything to do with this one incident. This is an indictment of ALL of US. I for one pledge to be more personally involved and give more money to support OUR sport. I call on all of you to do the same.

Quite the commentary there. I can understand why the clean-up was canceled, nobody wants to make the situation worse. I kinda agree with some of what you say though. I know I donate money, raffle prizes, and quite a bit of my own time to help out where I can. Take note of what NAXJA has done in the last few years, helping Friends of Fordyce get going locally, Friends of El Dorado County recieved a donation, and a ton of donations around the US too.

Now Now, don't get on that his name is in black thing. I choose not to join NAXJA because all of my efforts and dollars go to Cal4Wheel directly. While I think this board is wonderful I don't consider it a true club. I know that will piss off some of you but I'm sorry, that's the way I feel.

On to the matter at hand. We need to have a central rallying point or organization for our efforts. If every one out there formed thier own club and decided to go in a different direction where would that lead us to? That's exactly what's going on and it's not working. Ever heard of devide and conquer? As an example, why in the world would this local group (Friends of Greenhorn) schedule a cleanup day on the same weekend as a major fundraiser for the State Association (Cal4Wheel) in the same neighborhood no less! Even if you don't support Cal4wheel you have to admit the timing makes no sense, if for any other reason than a lot of your potential volunteers would be at that event (The Grass Valley Four Wheelers Club for one).

I'm not suggesting Cal4wheel is the greatest, bestest way to go. But they are what we have right now.

I want to repeat, I'm not knocking anyone in any group. I think those folks in Friends of this and that have thier heart in the right place and God bless them and thier passion. I just would rather we don't waste thier passion needlessly by having them go it alone.

BTW- the SGT for the Sherriffs Dept is Dead wrong when she said "300 vehicles down your road". It's OUR fu..ing road! That's the attitude we need to have. We all pay taxes and unless that is indeed a private road WE have every right to use it to access a public place and enjoy the land in the legal manner WE choose.

Last edited:
Sue to Reopen a trail?

What like use some Disability Rights Law to say the handicap should be able to see the same trail any hiker can? :rof:

I don't consider Cal4wheel a club...It's more like a lobbying group...and I found it to be more "cliquish" than NAXJA.

I agree with your points, it is OUR road. I also agree with your point the 4wd community should have showed enmass at those check points.

I choose not to join NAXJA because all of my efforts and dollars go to Cal4Wheel directly.So you are gonna stay black and get all this info for free and not help out more?

While I think this board is wonderful I don't consider it a true club. I know that will piss off some of you but I'm sorry, that's the way I feel. Um, Coulda fooled me! Have you happened to look at all the events that are put on by NAXJA throughout the year across the country?

I respect your opinion but maybe you should think before you type! :thumbup:

Now Now, don't get on that his name is in black thing. I choose not to join NAXJA because all of my efforts and dollars go to Cal4Wheel directly. While I think this board is wonderful I don't consider it a true club. I know that will piss off some of you but I'm sorry, that's the way I feel.

I appreciate that a hell of a lot more than the idiots who think a person's opinion doesn't matter just because they haven't sent money to join the club.

As an aside, I think NAXJA has donated something on the order of $10,000 this year to various land use groups, or more.

People may be afraid that there are so many closures when we are polite and behave and act nice, what happens when we start being loud and protesting and getting in the way?

Sue to Reopen a trail?

What like use some Disability Rights Law to say the handicap should be able to see the same trail any hiker can? :rof:

I like that idea I have Muscular Dystrophy so i can't be like one of those tree huggers and just hike through the woods. next thing you know they will be trying to get mountain bike trails closed for christ's sake!

I like that idea I have Muscular Dystrophy so i can't be like one of those tree huggers and just hike through the woods. next thing you know they will be trying to get mountain bike trails closed for christ's sake!

The wilderness rule applies to all wheeled vehicles, inlcuding mountain bikes.

Stupid, but thats just how it is going now.

My god these people are just out for blood. I have never been to California and don't really like the place but the entire US should be able to enjoy outdoor recreation without stupid hippies screwing everything up because of their ignorant opinions! It would be so much easier if we could just kick the crap out of them and proceed to go pick up trash on a damn trail! :D

My god these people are just out for blood. I have never been to California and don't really like the place but the entire US should be able to enjoy outdoor recreation without stupid hippies screwing everything up because of their ignorant opinions! It would be so much easier if we could just kick the crap out of them and proceed to go pick up trash on a damn trail! :D

:huh:

Back