• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little to NO Oil Pressure

Near the distributor, there are letter stampings in the side of the block, that tell you if any of the crank surfaces have been cut smaller (under? spec.) typically 0.010". It must be fairly common, because 0.010" thicker (over? spec.) bearings are commonly in everybodies stock.
It's worth it to *me* to plasti gage the new bearing sleeves also, I am generally not a trusting sort (I'm going to measure and/or plasti gage everything before final assembly, just in case something is mismarked or whatever). Too small of an oil gap will kill your crank jiffy quick.
In my experience, in both the 4.0 and 4.2 (with which I have more experience). The connecting rod bearing sleeves wear in an egg shape, with the most wear being under the connecting rod shaft. The bearings seem to wear a lot more than the crank surface. The crank surface has a rather large tolerance when new, something like plus or minus 0.008", if I remember correctly. I'm a cursious sort, plasti gage is cheap, I've measured at four points on a single bearing many times. They sometimes wear in a cone shape, which can cause hot spots, with new bearings. I don't remember ever finding one with excessive side play.
I'm pretty careful about breaking in a new bearing set, I drive very conservatively for the first few hundred miles. Then change out the oil and drive moderatly for the next 600 miles or so. I avoid synthetic oils for break in. Sometimes the new bearings have to wear in some. The number of revolutions on the crank is what generates heat, I try to keep the RPM's down and pray a little, the bearings wear in, before they scortch.
The pump is producing volumn, the filter is producing restriction, the bearing surfaces should produce some restriction, the oil passges are small causing restriction, raising the pressure. If the filter is completely bypassed and has no restriction, your pressure may be low, but the volumn to the bearings and lifters should be good still (hopefully).
If you increase the RPM's the oil pressure typically only raises to a certain level, then stabilizes there no matter if the RPM's are raised still higher. The pressure relief valve is releasing (bypassing) and/or the drive gears in the pump are bypassing (loosing volumn) because the oil is getting hotter and thinner, possibly the oil filter is bypassing ( I was always under the assumption, that when the filter bypassed the excess oil went into the oil passages and not back to the pan). I've been looking for a good oiling schematic for the 4.0 forever and have never found a good one.

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that the bypass was in the oil filter mounting boss area, when the filter got too crudded up and it took more than 20-25lbs to push thru it the bypass kicked in and pumped oil bypassing the filter.

Well I replaced the main bearings. Some of them were worn more than others. Plastigauge of the old bearings didnt show very much wear, not outside of limits, but the bearings were worn, some of them had nicks from debris in the engine. I replaced them, no change in my oil pressure. I did not replace the rod bearings, I figured the main bearings would be causing most of my oil pressure drop, and after being under the jeep for hours I said screw it and just threw the oil pan back on. The crankshaft journals did not show any uneven wear, no grooves, and wasnt uneven.

So I have:
replaced the sensor
verified low oil pressure with manual gauge
replaced oil pump
checked for cracked head
replaced the main bearings
the oil looks fine

I guess at this point I am going to add 20W-50 to boost my pressure and drive it till the engine finally dies and throw in a new one. Good luck to others with this problem.

JeepinAaron said:
I guess at this point I am going to add 20W-50 to boost my pressure and drive it till the engine finally dies and throw in a new one. Good luck to others with this problem.

Don't forget to add a quart of Lucas oil additive during the spring and summer to the 20w -50. It will boost the pressure a few more pounds at idle. If your pressure is still under 13 psi at idle in cold weather then I would add the Lucas oil additive now. I don't need the Lucas in the winter on mine as I have a 165 F thermostat on mine currently. But I need it in the summer, running the AC as it gets up to 200 F then which thins the oil.

As I said before I installed a high flow oil pump when I had the pan off and it helped too. So if you pull the pan again consider installing a high flow oil pump when and if you go after the rod bearings.

One other thing I just thought of!
If 20W-50 brings up the pressure, but not enough, you might consider straight 40 or 50 wt oil, or a mix of the two. As I recall, 20W-50 acts like 20 weight oil when cold (so straight 40W or 50W would supply more pressure when cold than 20W-50).

You might even try a 50/50 mix of 50W with 20W-50! Sounds like you have little to risk and much to gain at this point!!!!!

Good luck.

Make sure you don't have the oil pickup tube laying against the pan. It will reduce flow and thus pressure. There was a TSB on that at one time but I haven't seen it around in years.

My engine runs around 210 at idle even in the winter.

What can I do to facilitate reducing the temp, which would keep the oil thicker? I put a new (not high flow) water pump in it.

-Aaron

The rod bearings take the most abuse, and almost always fail before the mains! The load from any piston firing goes first to a single rod bearing, but the crank is supported by several main bearings, so that high load on the rod is split into two much larger main bearings. Check your rod bearings! 210 is normal for newer smog motors, you could run a cooler thermostat, but you could end up with emissions test problems later.

I just found a 5w-50 wt Castrol FULL synthetic at Autozone! Did'nt know if they made a full synthtic that went that high in viscosity, turns out Castrol makes one. I have been using old fashion crude oil based 20W-50. I have heard so much about synthetics I may try this one.

Sounds like your almost home free! What pressure do you get at a cold start up now, and what is the pressure at say 2000 rpm?

A high flow oil pump should get you close to 19 psi at idle.

So the temperature droped 10 degrees :cool: with Lucas and 20W-50, Impressive, most Impressive! :party:

Last edited:
JeepinAaron said:
20W-50 w/ the lucas additive put me at 14 PSI at idle. My temp also lowered 10 degrees.

JeepinAaron! Which Lucas oil additive did you use????

I just bought a quart and discovered that it comes in two flavors:doh:! One, the one I have previously used, is 100% petroleum (Dyno oil) based. The other is pure synthetic!!!

So now I am wondering which one you just used, and of course which one is better, and when is it better?!:dunno:

I decided to buy and try the 100% synthetic and give it a try to see if it is even better than the dyno version.:cheers:

Back