• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

little help please.

brent

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I'm running a 93 block with hesco's kit, bored .30 over, their aluminum head, 62mm tb and spacer, ford 24lb injectors, hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator, stock intake (91), banks pos header (cracked 4 times now), stock pipe from header to cat, 2.5" high flow cat, 2.5" 70 series flowmaster, 2.5" tailpipe. aw4 auto behind it. and dual electric fans.

off the line it takes off, great pull, mid range it lags, then takes off again in top end,

what can I do to get good power and pull through the midrange where it is lacking?

What kinda of cam did you get with the kit? Have you thought about swapping on one of the new style intakes? I think mid range is where they are supposed to do best. I just had one sent to me, but I'm going to send it off to be extrude honed before I slap it on there. I'd put money on a cam swap doing what you want, but who knows---I've never heard of anybody with a hesco stroker and one of there aluminum heads complain about power. Maybe a blower or N20? :wierd:

Did you call Hesco?

They know their stuff...

Do they have any comments or suggestions?

I'm using the cam that came with their kit, not really sure what the lobe/duration is.

called bennie at hesco, first he said to give it time to let the computer learn. then he suggested the adjustable fuel pressure regulator, did that, it was a little better, but I still feel it is lacking in the middle. what do you have to change to put a new intake on an old 91HO, does the power steering pump mount the same? tb and sensors bolt on?

I think I'd rather bolt on a blower than take the thing appart to do a cam swap. call me lazy

or maybe I should just shut up and be happy with it, concidering it really doesn't have much trouble burning the 37's I'm running. and still pulls the trailer better than the suburban

brent said:
ok, I'm running a 93 block with hesco's kit, bored .30 over, their aluminum head, 62mm tb and spacer, ford 24lb injectors, hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator, stock intake (91), banks pos header (cracked 4 times now), stock pipe from header to cat, 2.5" high flow cat, 2.5" 70 series flowmaster, 2.5" tailpipe. aw4 auto behind it. and dual electric fans.

off the line it takes off, great pull, mid range it lags, then takes off again in top end,

what can I do to get good power and pull through the midrange where it is lacking?

Your engine could just be running lean in the midrange so you could give the computer more time to adapt. If it still runs lean, then you can bump up the fuel pressure. You'll probably need a fuel pressure between 41-45psi to get it right.

if you have an aw4 and burn 37's, thats some beans. i cant burn my 26.5's with a 4.0 aw4, wont even chirp unless its in a corner

wow. I can break mine loose just about whenever I feel like it, fish around corners, whatever. I haven't even done much more than help 'er breathe better. (snorkel, glasspack) Course I have an OME lift sitting in the garage alongside a cowl induction hood and a tow hitch, but at least you guys have running XJs. Mine decided to develop a cracked head. damn '00s

streetpirate said:
if you have an aw4 and burn 37's, thats some beans. i cant burn my 26.5's with a 4.0 aw4, wont even chirp unless its in a corner
could have something to do with the 4.88 gears too.

brent said:
could have something to do with the 4.88 gears too.

Umm, ya, probably. I don't know though. Mine's got the AX15 and 3.07 gears and I can 1 wheel peel off the line and then chirp them both into second. but then again 225/75R15 Coopers aren't that big. :laugh3:

Back