• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liftgate Latch Question(No it's not stuck!)

XJ4.0L

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there;

This is my official first post! I'm relatively new to the Jeep world. This forum is an awesome source of information, and I'm sure I'll be spending countless hours scouring it for great information.

I know that there are a tons of posts regarding how to unlock a stuck rear liftgate, and as of yet I've been lucky enough not to experience any of those issues.

My question that I can't seem to find an answer for is:

Is there such a think as a manual liftgate lock? - My 98 XJ Sport is equipped with power locks, and it came with a key fob, which unfortunately doesn't work. Since I don't want to spend $100 plus to have my fob programmed at the dealership, I'd prefer to just change out the liftgate latch assembly for one that I can lock manually from the inside when I open the hatch, via a lever, button, etc. Does such a part exist?

I realize that I can simply use the existing powered lock assembly with the key, but I find it a pain to always have to manually lock the hatch with a key everytime I'm getting something out of the back. Just wondering if there is a latch that has a manual locking lever or not?

Thanks for your help!

to my knowledge there is no such thing as a lock button, lever etc that ever came in them. My brother has a 2000 XJ, I have a 96, my dad has a 95 and my other brother has a 93. I know none of those has one, so I would say you can either re-program once your sick of it, or get a keyless entry/alarm put on that controlls them or simply deal with it I guess.

P.S. Welcome to Naxja.....its a huge welth of info and there are some great people here!

Thanks for your fast response!

My previous vehicle was a Ford Festiva, I know, I know... but if you couldn't get up the logging road going forward, just try it in reverse! I never got it stuck once. It had a little metal tab on the back that you could push down to manually lock the hatch.

I guess I really grew used to that! LOL

haha, yeah, on the last few work vans we never had a lever or button or knob to use so we just had the back pannels off the door to reach up inside and pull the lock lever down......worked good, but it was a work van so it doesnt really matter. I agree there should have been a way to lock it from the inside but oh well.

Back