• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted xj handling ?

98xjjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is probley a dumb question but if i got a 4.5 lift and 31 will the cog change alot. Like, if swerved quick on the highway will it get close to flipping? also will bump steer be really bad? Wouldi be better off with a 3.5 lift or would it not make that big of a difference? sorry for the stupid sounding question.

After I lifted my XJ and ditched the sway bars.. I enjoyed driving my XJ more, I like that body roll around the corners :yelclap:

Whats important, is to correct your front end alignment after doing the lift. This will help your handling and how it drives.

Totally depends on your setup, My 99 on 35s handles way better than my 97 on 31s/33s right now. I feel perfectly safe going 80-90mph on the interstate on 35s.

As for lift, I go 3"-3.5" with 31s-33s, I run a 4.5" on my Jeeps and both can fit 35s easy. I seriously think a Jeep on 4.5" and 35s feels safer than 4.5" and 31s just cause of the extra weight and width.

i had all those questions in my head too when i was thinking of lifting my xj because all the people i knew (who by the way didnt have a jeep or any lifted vehicle) would keep saying all this stuff about how i would flip it and its goin to be too top heavy and the driveshaft will be at too steep of an angle but i swerve all the time and i dont come close to fliping and probably at first if its your first time wheelling you will crawl over somthing and it will lean and you will think your goin to roll it well this is what happened to me lol but after wheeling alot more i know whats close and not
but yeah my 31s fit perfect on my 4.5 lift and make sure you get a transfer case lowering kit or if you got the money get a slip yoke eliminator

mobbthatjeep said:
i swerve all the time

mkay.....

and i dont come close to fliping
[snip]
i know whats close and not

Have you flipped? If not, how can you possibly know how close you are....?

most of the replies are very mis informed. It doesn't matter how it feels the force that are induced by handling manuvers are the same for any lifted vehicle. Compared to an stock XJ yes the handling will be affected, emergency lane changes could get interesting but that why you need to drive like a lifted truck, not a F1 car.

As for the lifted rigs not feeling like tipping that has to do with whats called vehicle dynamics, the vehicel will still roll at the same point but you can set-up the suspension so there is no feedback, body roll, etc until it just goes over. Can't get around a raised CG.

Weasel said:
most of the replies are very mis informed. It doesn't matter how it feels the force that are induced by handling manuvers are the same for any lifted vehicle. Compared to an stock XJ yes the handling will be affected, emergency lane changes could get interesting but that why you need to drive like a lifted truck, not a F1 car.

As for the lifted rigs not feeling like tipping that has to do with whats called vehicle dynamics, the vehicel will still roll at the same point but you can set-up the suspension so there is no feedback, body roll, etc until it just goes over. Can't get around a raised CG.

Correct!

i think is had to do mostly with the springs you get. i have a RE 6130 kit, and those springs are stiff, i love the ride, and the handling. it is a bit rough on speedbumps and potholes, but corners (as far as roll/pitch is concerned) better than stock, IMO. of course, the super swampers dont hold the road like a street tire, but the feel of the rig is great.

-Tim

98xjjeeper said:
I know this is probley a dumb question but if i got a 4.5 lift and 31 will the cog change alot. Like, if swerved quick on the highway will it get close to flipping? also will bump steer be really bad? Wouldi be better off with a 3.5 lift or would it not make that big of a difference? sorry for the stupid sounding question.

I now have a RE4.5 lift with BFG 31x10.5 on 15's with 4" of backspacing. Yes your cog will go up. I figured the jeep went up about 7" (lift + tires). I believe that the backspacing on the rims can make the rig a little more stable because it pushes the tires out. I don't have any bump steer issues.

Finally, get JKS quick disconnects for your front sway bar and make sure they are setup correctly (angle). Not having the sway bar in the rear hasn't been a problem.

thanks guys. i was really wanting to do 4.5 instead of 3 or 3.5 cause the parents dont want me trimming the fenders and i dont want to bumbstop to much. I have also made room in the budget for a sye and driveshaft. It sounds like drivablility isnt going to be as big of i deal as i was thinking. I am also a safe driver so hopefull i wont have to swerve on the highway cause of some dumbnuts driver infront of me. thanks again!

98xjjeeper said:
thanks guys. i was really wanting to do 4.5 instead of 3 or 3.5 cause the parents dont want me trimming the fenders and i dont want to bumbstop to much. I have also made room in the budget for a sye and driveshaft. It sounds like drivablility isnt going to be as big of i deal as i was thinking. I am also a safe driver so hopefull i wont have to swerve on the highway cause of some dumbnuts driver infront of me. thanks again!

Yeah just be smart about driving and you'll be fine. Driving with all 4 windows down helps too with strong winds, etc.

ZachMan said:
Yeah just be smart about driving and you'll be fine.

X2. Don't drive like a dummy and you should be fine. My 97 drives and handles better with 3.5" lift and 31's than it did stock. Quick lane changes feel less life threatening (less body roll...feels more controlled). While i'm happy with the ride, it does look and feel like a lifted vehicle. That being said, it's not a sports car...don't treat it like one.

ZachMan said:
Yeah just be smart about driving and you'll be fine. Driving with all 4 windows down helps too with strong winds, etc.

Interesting,

I agree with most of the others, don't drive like a jackass and you will be fine.

Thats odd becuase mine only handles like that when.........its strappet down to a trailer :D.

An aligned front end and correct camber/castor angles, radial tires, and keeping your driveline angles parallel as well as all sterring & susp. components tight will ensure good driveability. Most people will disagree with me on this but a steering stabilizer if installed correctly and not for looks like on a lot of big trucks will help keep the vehicle more predictable when you hit potholes and bumps. I have 8''s of lift, 35'' MT's, 5.13's, no sway bars, and a high steer setup (no hydro assist) and mine handles like a champ all the way up to 80mph, bumpsteer and vibration free. Granite EVERY rig will handle different, if you do it right youll be alright...lastara

Back