• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift+tires for a "ALL-TERRAIN" XJ

CustomCrawler said:
The local club beats on there dana 35s and he said hes never had a problem with dana 35 rear. They wheel the same stuff as me.

Sure that axle can handle smallish tires no sweat. But throw on some big rubber & a locker & boom.:explosion Its the truth.

What's your rush. Just stay low for now & get some more driving experience.

Keep in mind if you go to 33's and you have the AW4 trans (auto) with stock gears 3.55 it will not wanna shift into overdrive. So keep that in mind that you should take what gears you have in consideration.

Honestly, learn to wheel your rig stock. Then figure out what you need from there.

Join a wheelin club, or head out on group runs with some folks. You will be able to see what works and what doesn't. I know more than a few 18 -19 year olds that wheeled thier not much more than stock rigs and now have extremely well built rigs by not spending money on frivoulous things. They wheeled with very minor upgrades and then learned from there.

One of the problmes with wheelin is you always want more. So if you go wheeling for a while and figure out for yourself what works and what doesn't, you save yourself the hassel of trying to keep upgrading the upgrades.

My final opinion that nobody listens to and I don't know why. Buy a winch and winch bumper. Put it on your stock rig and go wheelin. A winch can take you ANYWHERE. Even places locked and lifted rigs cant. If you get a quality winch, it will last you YEARS and stick with you as you upgrade your rig.

Happy wheelin,

Karl

We may all be an opinionated lot of bastards, but the guys around here know their stuff. NAXJA members have made all the mistakes for you, so you can avoid some of the dumber ones.

If you plan to keep the D35 then go with the smaller lift/tires and save your money. The D35 may be ok, but once you put 33+ and lock it, you are gonan snap on a trail and be cursing the whole way home.

And without a doubt do not use AAL lifts. Get the real thing, you will be much happier. AALs are just a cheap bandaid and work around. You might want to look into some of the Budget Build Lifts around these forums as people have come up with some very cheap and creative ways to get some good set ups.

Anyways you're young, pleanty of time to work your way up to 35" full lock with full width full float axles :gee:

I come from RC crawlers, so I use to always go cheap, all-out nice crawlers. so i still have the all-out in me. :dunno:

Narfxj said:
Keep in mind if you go to 33's and you have the AW4 trans (auto) with stock gears 3.55 it will not wanna shift into overdrive. So keep that in mind that you should take what gears you have in consideration.

I want to got a awshifting kit, and install 4 leds with the V2 shift up/down push buttons with on/off torque converter lock switch, and controller on/of switch

Easyier to install then gears and I can manual shift 1-4 (only 130+ time+soldering and heat shrink!) :yelclap:

will i play in alot of sand with mine an i havent had trouble yet.. i don't i put my foot to the floor all the time.. i have found that on rocks i need to pick my line better, but then i have more fun with the guys we go with. all they do is shake there heads

You convinced me.

Dump the 4.5 and 33s and go for 3" rouch country rear spring and 31s. Then buy a d35 locker.

Just to let you guys know im came frmo a family that never beat there rigs, so I drive careful off road. Unless im on a dirtbike of course!

scottmcneal said:
will i play in alot of sand with mine an i havent had trouble yet.. i don't i put my foot to the floor all the time.. i have found that on rocks i need to pick my line better, but then i have more fun with the guys we go with. all they do is shake there heads

because they know whats going to happen one day to that d35.

CustomCrawler said:
You convinced me.

Dump the 4.5 and 33s and go for 3" rouch country rear spring and 31s. Then buy a d35 locker.

Just to let you guys know im came frmo a family that never beat there rigs, so I drive careful off road. Unless im on a dirtbike of course!

Smart move! Just think of it this way....33s only give you an inch more clearance than 31s, and you'll be saving a lot of money you can put towards armor and have a nice DD too....

like everyone says go wheelin stock and get it stuck so you know your limits. i wheeled mine stock nearly every weekend for 4 months and after gettin stuck a few times i figured out what i can and cant do. now i just put on a 4.5 inch lift and some 33's and im gonna re gear here pretty soon to keep everything in good order

well, i'm new to XJ's and wheeling in general. decided that i didn't want to drop that kinda coin on my DD until i knew i liked it. i started with ZJ coils in the front and an S-10 2nd and 3rd leaf under the stock XJ main in the rear. got me about 1.5" of lift. i run 235/75's open/open. i did put the JKS track bar on mine when i blew out the ball end of the stock unit. Its a good size to learn to wheel, helps keep you humble and off the trails where you could do major damage to you, your jeep, and spectators. i'm getting ready to do a 3" on mine. tera-flex coils, new XJ main leaves, and alot of other bastard componets.
Misc-4.jpg

more pix if interested
http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r37/terryd_photo/cherokee/

terryd said:
well, i'm new to XJ's and wheeling in general. decided that i didn't want to drop that kinda coin on my DD until i knew i liked it. i started with ZJ coils in the front and an S-10 2nd and 3rd leaf under the stock XJ main in the rear. got me about 1.5" of lift. i run 235/75's open/open. i did put the JKS track bar on mine when i blew out the ball end of the stock unit. Its a good size to learn to wheel, helps keep you humble and off the trails where you could do major damage to you, your jeep, and spectators. i'm getting ready to do a 3" on mine. tera-flex coils, new XJ main leaves, and alot of other bastard componets.
Misc-4.jpg

Perhaps you might consider some rocker protection during your next round of upgrades?

Get a 3" full spring pack lift and 31's. Spend the rest on recovery/armor. Then when you get sick of that, do spacer/shackle for a 4.5" lift and the 33's, gears, axle swaps. That way you aren't out it all when you are done and decide to sell for a fast car, or need money for college, etc. And if you never give up on the XJ your only like $100 away from another 1.5"

mecompco said:
Perhaps you might consider some rocker protection during your next round of upgrades?
too late for that, get some 3x6 rectangular tubing, remove the dented panels and weld the tubing in it's place!!! cheap and protected. see madxj.com I did it on my first one and loved it. I'll do it on the new one when Michigan road salt wrecks them!

CustomCrawler said:
Im 15 1/2, and got a 88 cherokee renix 4.0 with HP 30+35

ALL terrain meaning

Trails+Mud+Snow+Street :guitar: street meaning daily driver, but 100 miles per month on a busy month.

Id like MT/Rs, BFG m/t, or Trxus m/ts!

Option 1
4.5+33x12.50r15

Option 2
4.5+32x11.50r15

Option 3
3.5"+31x10.50r15

Option 4
3"+31x10.50r15

First off, I admire teens that are into vehicles, especially Jeeps. I started working on cars with my dad when I was 12, nothing major, but I learned alot. I have been around the Jeep world for over 4 years now and it's a great place. One thing I learned quickly is that everyone has different opinions and taste as to what is right. The best advice I can give you is to listen to advice, do some research, maybe even take a ride in a few different rigs. Then decide what you want.

There are many options available. Two of the biggest things to know are your budget and your knowledge/ability to work on your Jeep.
Know how much you can spend each time you do an upgrade. Most folks start with a lift and tires, then get armor/tow points, some folks get bumpers or racks, then gears or axles.

So here's my recommendation:
4-4.5" lift, 33's, rock rails, tow points, gas tank and t-case skids, gears and lockers. Now, all of this does not have to be done at one time, that would be eexpensive.

Depending on your budget, you can start out at 3.5" and 31 or 32 (trimming) and not have to regear so quickly. You can throw in a lunchbox locker and be set. Do get the armor! Even if you don't go "rock crawling" rocks and stumps seem to find rockers...
I started with 3.5" and 31's and went all over the place. I invested in armor and I am glad I did! I wheeled that set-up for almost 2 years, then I went to 4.5" and 33's, changed both axles, geared and locked them! Huge difference!

There are many places to get your stuff. I recommend using a NAXJA sponsor. One like, DPG OFfroad. Dirk has some great prices and complete kits. He is a great guy to deal with as well. He has one of the best gast tank and t-case skids out there!

For brand - Rubicon Express is my choice. I have never had a problem with any of their product.

Tires - MT/R's are awesome, but not good in the mud. I love mine and they work great on the street and trail. A little noisy on the road, but nto too bad.
TruXus tire's seem cool, but I hear they wear extremely fast, but perform well, even in mud. See what folks in your area are running.

Like other have said, stay away from add-a-leafs. They do provide a little lift, but they fail and wear out faster. The leaf packs are more money, but they are easier to install and last longer.

You will hear folks bash to D35, with good reason. BUT, I say run it til it breaks, right. Some folks run 33 & 35 inch tires, lockers, alloy shafts, etc.. in their D35 with no issue. Unfortunately, lots of folks have seen failures with no or little mods... I think it's a crap shoot....
Problem with waiting until it breaks, is you don't know when that will be. It could be on a trail and then you have to get it home or it could be on the road, which you still have to get it home. Then you HAVE to find a new axle or rebuild the broken, so your Jeep will be down for a while while your repair it.

Ok, enough rambling.... learn about your Jeep, your driving style, and what others in your area are running. Determine your budget, find your kit, throw a lift party and have fun!

Good luck!

98XJSport said:
Get a 3" full spring pack lift and 31's. Spend the rest on recovery/armor. Then when you get sick of that, do spacer/shackle for a 4.5" lift and the 33's, gears, axle swaps. That way you aren't out it all when you are done and decide to sell for a fast car, or need money for college, etc. And if you never give up on the XJ your only like $100 away from another 1.5"

College........ :speepin:

:conceited I thought about gettting a 3" spring, then U bolt elimantor 1.5" TnT. And then longer coils up front, then new shocks!

That a good idea? What else would i need?:lickout:

Back